Poverty in the U.S. Worse than Sierra Leone, Nepal, etc.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by spliffington, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Here in California the building department would be all over you for no railings on that porch lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. What is this “Building Department “ you speak of??

Lol

So far I’ve built the barn across the street in the picture, an addition to the house, a 12x12 shed and countless upgrades without calling/notifying the Powers that Be... lol

I’m also out in the sticks in a dead end road, though.

As far as the railing goes, though, pretty sure there’s a certain height you’re allowed before you need one...

J

3. Here in Canada you'd be paying thousands of dollars in permits and inspections just to get permission to build that barn. The red tape is often the single biggest building expense, it's pretty crazy

• Like Like x 2
  4. I have no idea what the building code is in California but this is a pretty general rule of them for the necessity of a railing on the porch -

There are building code requirements for a porch:

In the USA, if your porch floor is less than 30 inches high from the ground, a porch railing is NOT required by code.

In Canada the maximum height from the ground is 24 inches.

If your porch floor is over the heights stated, the code requires a balustrade – porch railing”

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it… LOL

• Like Like x 2
  5. Here I think it's 2 steps on a rental needs railing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Those pesky facts and numbers........ Completely dismissing everybody's feelings.:judge:

Feds: $100,000 'Low Income' In Parts Of Bay Area
    Feds: $100,000 ‘Low Income’ In Parts Of Bay Area

HUD says a family of four in San Francisco or San Mateo County with an income of 105,350 is now considered “low income.” For Alameda and Contra Costa County, $80,400 is considered low income.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Average home price is a cool million in parts of the "bay area" so a little more perspective... try living there and buying a home at 100K per yr...

Generations that have lived there but not Silicon Valley 90 day wonders have been driven out towards say Oakland or Sacramento. Skys the limit housing market is insane and thank the CEO's and other principles of mega companies for this as well... those not part of the corporate welfare state are forced to move out can't even pay the taxes on homes they have had for decades...

8. My dad just flipped a house in the cesspool known as IL and by code the railing on the inside stairs was so high that I had problems with using it and I'm 6'4". The idiots that make these rules are just bored, misserable fools and incapable of minding their own damn business.

Sent from my LGL57BL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. The U.N. says 18.5 million Americans are in ‘extreme poverty.’ Trump’s team says just 250,000 are.

[​IMG]

The Trump administration says the United Nations is overestimating the number of Americans in “extreme poverty” by about 18.25 million people, reflecting a stark disagreement about the extent of poverty in the nation and the resources needed to fight it.

In May, Philip G. Alston, special rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights for the U.N., published a report saying 40 million Americans live in poverty and 18.5 million Americans live in extreme poverty.

The U.N. says 18.5 million Americans are in ‘extreme poverty.’ Trump’s team says just 250,000 are.

10. Their are only three things a women needs to do to stay out of poverty according to the brookings institution
    Graduate high school
    Wait to get married on till 21 to have kids
    Have a full time job
    If you do all 3 things you only have a 2% chance of falling into poverty and will have a 74% chance of falling into the middle class,,,,,sounds simple to me
    Give your children privilege and have a family with a mother and father in the same house

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. No idea what you are talking about...... No numbers show people being pushed out of the bay. No numbers are showing only mega companies are responsible..... Out of the 19k jobs created in Cali this year, 13k were in the bay area. It's every industry, powered by the small business. Google and Facebook help with creating jobs, but the jobless rate is below 2%, that is due to every industry being active.

Those people you pretend are being pushed out.... It's quite the opposite. People are getting rich beyond their wildest dreams here in Cali. I made over 500k in just 4 years on my last property. My parents? Bought their house for about 100k, and are in the process of selling it for about 3 million dollars. The housing market in the Bay Area has made more millionaires than most industries. If you are lucky enough to have property for generations in the bay, you are not losing your house due to property taxes. You are selling your house to make millions of dollars and retire in style.

Don't forget. This is in the bay area, in America! 100k + for low income. I wonder if 100k a year is a good sallery in Sierra Leone? O yea, you would be a incredibly rich person in Sierra Leone on 100k a year. Just more proof that this thread is pure retard.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #113 Bulldog11, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Couple things here....... First off, you believe the UN report? Really? Did you even read the artilce? Pretty clear the UN is making up those numbers. 1 in 20 Americans in extreme poverty, get the F out of here..... (edited due to bad math)

Why in the world would anybody look to the UN for USA poverty numbers?

Strait from your article:
    "
    Citing a recent survey of American households, Heritage found only 0.08 percent of American households (or about to 250,000) are in “deep poverty,” defined by Heritage as living on less than $4 a day. This statistic does account for government social spending programs that help the poor — like Medicaid, food stamps, and housing assistance — while the figure cited by the U.N. does not.

“No one likes the official poverty measure because it doesn't count the enormous assistance we provide low-income Americans,” said Robert Doar, a conservative scholar at the American Enterprise Institute think tank. “It makes you think they have very little — that they have nothing — when in fact that's not true.”"

13. You’re so correct - there is absolutely no shortage of jobs in the US - not even vaguely. Anyone that wants to work can have a job in no time flat - there’s a ton of jobs out there. A TON. I’ll guarantee that with a few phone calls I could have another job TODAY.

I’m in construction and it’s crazy that we can’t even fill positions though. We have constant ads running and get minimal to nil responses though - but I blame this on the new generation simply not wanting to get out and work - but this is going to bite them in the ass in the long run.

J

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kids (18-25) are so worthless these days in the construction field. Constant reminders of how something might be dangerous, in the sun too long, too heavy....... Drives me nuts! For every kid that tells me they don't have a job, I offer a job on a work site for either me or a family members company. Can't tell you how many people never show up, or when they show up they think the work is too hard and quit within a month. Crazy times.

You give these kids another 20 years of this, and we will be a third world country.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Not all young people are like this. I'm 24 and have worked on framing and finishing jobs since I was like 15 or 16. Most recently in 2016 I framed a house with my Dad and the employer even said something to the effect of "you work hard for a young guy" I'm like yeah some of us do have work ethic.

You're right though, it's easy for me to take construction odd jobs whenever I want because I know a couple family members in the industry and they are just constantly hard up for good workers. I'm not even particularly skilled, not formally trained in any trade, just skills I picked up working over the years but they'll still take me in a heartbeat because I show up on time, work hard and don't complain lol.

It's not that bleak though because people with work ethic naturally rise to the top. Not like there was a shortage of slackers in the 70's and 80's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Glad the hear I was wrong on that, congrats on being a hard worker. Residential framing can be a tough job, both mental and physical, especially roofs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I hired 3 grounds crew members back in may at my new job, all 3 of them are males over the age of 20 and not a single one of them had ever used a push mower or string trimmer in their entire lives. I couldn't believe it, I literally had to show them how to start a lawn mower...

I don't think the current generation is a lost cause though, while they lack the common sense and general know how that is afforded to anyone who wasn't helicopter parented....the ones i've dealt with are certainly not lazy, they are also eager to please, most of them anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was like what the fuck is a string trimmer? Then I finally realized you were using the proper name for weedwhackers lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Let me know if you need a job in the Northeast... ;)

Seriously though - you must realize that you’re different than many in your same age group - I’ll guarantee that if you (yourself) asked 20 guys your own age - let’s say 20-25 yrs old, if they’d go out in the heat (or the cold - whatever) and actually bust their ass working long days at - let’s say roofing for example - how many out of that 20 do you think would put up their hands?

Then, out of the number you picked, how many do you think would last a week out there getting sweaty and dirty, going home tired as hell and then getting up early again the next day, and the next day after a week of this?

Seriously curious as to what you thought about this.

Btw - ty for having a strong work ethic.

J

• Like Like x 1