Poverty in the U.S. Worse than Sierra Leone, Nepal, etc.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by spliffington, Mar 29, 2018.

1. So, there's a bit of sad irony to this. America, once you pull back the glitz and glamour of having the most expensive military, MAGA, incarceration, guns, and various other feel goods, the ugly truth is that America is among the poorest so called "developed" and "first world" nations of the world. But not only is America among the worst of the best, it is comparable to the worst of the worst, or "shit-hole" countries, as Trump likes to call them. America may just be a shit-hole in terms of poverty, taxes, healthcare, incarceration, civil unrest--the list can and does go on.

Philip Alston conducted a nationwide study on poverty in America. I encourage everyone to read it; it's packed full of information. But some highlights were

*over 40 million Americans live below the poverty line
    *in terms of access to water and sanitation, America ranks 36th of all nations
    *infant mortality rate in America is the highest of any developed nation.
    *Americans live shorter, sicker lives
    *Tropical diseases originally thought to only be in "shit-hole" countries, such as Zika, are becoming increasingly common here
    *the United States is alone among developed countries in insisting that while human rights are of fundamental importance, they do not include rights that guard against dying of hunger, dying from a lack of access to affordable healthcare, or growing up in a context of total deprivation.

Adjusted for income and inflation differences across countries, and differences in needs for citizens across countries, it was concluded that $4/day (what an average of 5.3 Americans survive off of) was the standard in America to compare worldwide poverty levels. 5.3 Americans surviving off $4 daily is equal to Senegal, but a higher rate than Sierra Leone (3.2 million people) and Nepal (2.5 million people).

Alston cites contributors to poverty: demonizing the poor, race, gender, disability, incarceration, undermining democracy, etc. He concluded that, along with America being much poorer than meets the eye, proposed tax reforms aim to only increase inequality.

• Disagree x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Please move to Nepal if it is so great.

This America hatred bullshit has got to stop.

Please move away, and take all the actors and talk show hosts with you.

Thank you,

post when you have a new ip addy.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Why do you confuse criticism with hatred? Why do you strive to protect the feelings of a pile of land that happens to be called the United States?

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Because my grandparents came here not knowing a word of English, without a dime in their pockets. They were given the opportunity to earn a living, and not live under the political dictatorships that dominated the world at that time. They made a meager existence for their kids.

My parents worked night and day, using all the opportunites afforded to them by this great country, to make a decent life for us. we did a little better than meager, but still normies.

Now i work and play my ass off everyday, with all the freedom that is afforded to me by THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

If you are not happy with your situation, change it. Stop blaming the rest of us for your problems. Get busy doing something real, and you will forget about all this hatred you hold for the mothers tit you suck from.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. I'd like to add one other thing. Some of the richest, most successful and philanthropic people ever to walk the Earth, started out VERY POOR. Look at it as training, like bootcamp, is everything supposed to be given to everybody just so they are comfortable? Or, do people need incentive to get off their ass and do some work? tuff questions for the freestuffers.

So, you can either sit there woe is me, and get on the freestuffer list.

Or, you can get to work , and make something of yourself.

No better place than America to go from poor to rich, anywhere.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. its called passing the buck

inflation adjusted ...naturally

now $4.00 pd

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. You think your parents' success story, while lovely, changes the fact that over 40 million Americans live below the poverty line? Are you attempting to say that 40 million Americans didn't utilize every opportunity afforded to them the way your 2 parents did?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. I didn't know you had so many lazy people. Wow. (sarcasm off).

In most western countries:
    - If you're successful, they give you a crown.
    - If you're not successful, they tell you to starve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Yeah I'm sure all our homeless people would trade places with the homeless in Sierra Leone and Nepal in a second. America sucks so bad :( Excuse me while I go buy a 9 dollar starbucks coffee and post about what a meany trump is on my new smartphone. I'm so jealous of all those African countries that have it so much better than me :(

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. upload_2018-3-29_16-49-48.png

• Funny Funny x 1

11. No it doesnt change anything, but the success of our company surely ensured the success of many familes, many of them starting out very poor. Columbians, Mexicans, Americans, Equadorians, Slovaks, Russians, African Americans, all working side by side for a common goal - feeding their families.

40 million, wow, probably alot of different reasons they are there. And there are even more ways to find your way out. One of them is not asking for a handout, and getting down and dirty, sucking it up, and atcually breaking a sweat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Do you disagree with the poverty levels described in the study? If so, what is a more accurate account? If not, do you have any ideas how to decrease America's poverty level to be comparable to other developed nations? How about healthcare? Incarceration?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. #13 STIGGY, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    How ?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. hey I agree with you I still live in a state we go to jail for smoking weed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, most people who are giving you schism probably own medical marijuanadispensarys charging 20 dollars a gram for weed or other things so they have plenty of cash as for me I only got help from are government first time of my life in 50 years was because I left the country and had no showing of one cent of income or a bank account well in the state of Virginia around 230,000 thousand vets suffering with hep c fell the same way cause there government wount give them help but I am a lot better off where I am in south America with 10 dollars aday

• Like Like x 1
  15. Try being a homeless black man in America for a week.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Yes, and everyone else should be skeptical of those numbers as well. The author of that report even acknowledged that those numbers are debated, but didn't elaborate. As many as 50% of households may be misclassified as poor.

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_620.pdf

Other bullshit in that report includes labeling poverty "a political decision by those in power" and calling a collective 1 trillion USD per year in anti-poverty spending "meager". This UN bureaucrat clearly started this "investigation" with a clear agenda and conclusion in mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yes, many people, especially those who remain in poverty their entire lives, squander opportunities and engage in many counterproductive behaviors that perpetuate their own living situation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Can you post where he says his numbers are skewed? I'm genuinely interested. Also, by posting this article, what are you asserting exactly?

Evidence to assert your opinion that "many" (how many is many?) impoverished people squander opportunities?

You do bring up a good point that his numbers may indeed be skewed. But you don't prove it beyond merely saying so. And an article that "may" point to misclassification does not disprove Alston's entire study.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Point 13 "There is considerable debate over the extent of poverty in the US". Basically, measuring poverty purely by income level is a piss poor way to go about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1