Potting Mix Killing My Seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Pip Bernadotte, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Hello blades and bladies, PB here. I previously posted a grow thread in this section of the forum, but since it's likely died and I'm having some new problems, figured I'd start a new one.

The issue? I think this vigoro organic potting mix is killing all of my seedlings. (See attached pic). As you can see, the little guy that I dug up after it not breaking ground after 5-6 days of being in soil looks incredibly small and weak. It looks like the first set of leaves tried to form and started to break the seed off, but it just stops there.

I currently have 6 seedlings under soil that were germinated using the paper towel method until the white taproot was about 1/4-1/2-inch long. It was gently nestled (root-down) into my soil mix which consists of 60% Vigoro organic potting mix and 40% perlite. All of my containers are sitting under 3 23-watt daylight CFLs and temps in the closet are a toasty 72 degrees. I'm watering using tap water that's been allowed to sit out overnight to get rid of the chlorine. Upon further investigation it turns out this soil DOES contain a small amount of slow-release nutrients. Could this be killing off my seedlings or severely stunting their growth? Or am I just being impatient and dug up a small one too early?

From what I can see looking around the forums, germinated seeds that go into the soil usually pop a set of leaves out after just 12-24 hours! What could I possibly be doing so wrong that I'm not able to grow a bloody WEED?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

P_20160913_130040[1].jpg P_20160913_130105[1].jpg

2. Lets see , you dig up a sprouted seedling , that was growing .
    Its the job of those tiny first leaves to swell and break open the shell .
    Sometimes it takes longer .
    Could be , and most likely , you just got impatient young johnny appleseed , and dug up a perfectly good seedling .

3. Thanks for the reply - makes sense. I guess I just expected it to look a bit more impressive after a week underground. It was blowing my mind that it was still green and healthy-looking and yet still so small. How long can one expect to wait for that first set of leaves after planting? Also I've read a lot of posts with blades saying not to water unless the first half inch of soil is dry - does the same rule apply if you have perlite added to improve drainage?

4. Soak seeds 24 hours in water
    Place seeds in soil
    Cover container with plastic wrap
    Place under lights
    And leave it alone!

Seedling should sprout in 2-3 days using this method after 1 week with no sprout I usually toss and start over

5. You need to do some self learning and reading , then come back with your questions
    here is a good basic start
    How to Grow Cannabis: 10 Steps | Grow Weed Easy
    all seed plants are not created equal , they grow diff some the seed gets stuck to the leaves ,if you leave it it works itself out , if you interfere and pry if off you usually damage the seedling
    best thing you can do is read

6. Essentially what I've done with all of my seedlings, except I germinated in a moist paper towel. The dead seedling in the first pic was underground undisturbed for 6 days, hence why I dug it up. Ah well, dropped 4 more germinated seeds recently, fingers crossed for live ones.

7. Small update - they're ALIIIIIIVE!

Ironically the one not potted in a mix containing perlite seems to be coming along the fastest and I could have sworn I overwatered.

20160915_195047.jpg 20160915_195018.jpg

Attached Files: