pots to small?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shloopie, May 5, 2009.

1. Hi everyone i have 7 plants that are 6 wks into flowering. They are all starting to get yellow leaves. Heres the thing tho ... Some of the leaves are just turning yellow, some are getting brown spots also, some and just really light green and some have curled tips(not bat tho). The plants are all about 2-3 feet tall now. the smaller plants seem to have less yellow leaves then the big ones. I do not even have a ph meter to test my ph with.... I use Fox Farms big bloom and tiger bloom together to water and occasionally some shults bloom plus. I use 2 teaspoons of tiger bloom and 2 tablespoons of big bloom per gallon. Some of the plants have pretty good lookin nugs growin and the 3 biggest have loose buds growing compared to the small ones. They are in 2 gallon pots right now. OK SO WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS WHAT I NEEDA DO BETTER WITH MY WATER. I really am just guessin how much food to give them, but i give them about 1 1/2 cups of water with the nutrients in it every day. Yes i water my plants every day because they dry out every day if i dont. So someone please tell me the best thing i could do right now to make a difference. Basically my plants overall are still doing ok but they seem to have a tiny bit of every problem. Like random dead spots on the leaves (small) and the big leaves are just a little yellow..lots of the little leaves turn yellow though. Thanks please give some advice if u finished reading this!

2. Do you have an estimate on the harvest time for your plants? Yellowing and plant leaf denaturing is completely normal in the latter stages of flowering, though over/under fertilization is not out of the question. The likely cause though is your plants are using up and depleting N stores (a good thing... no need to provide any more!). Post a picture if you can, that way we can better gauge how much yellowing you're experiencing. Yellowing often occurs from the bottom and progresses upward and inward.

I don't like to transplant my plants in mid to late flowering, but it's been done with good results. At 3 feet tall, a 3 gallon container would be ideal. I almost exclusively go with 4 gallon containers and typically abide by the foot per gallon rule.

If your soil is thoroughly drying out between waterings, then watering once a day is perfectly fine. It must be hot and dry in your grow space =P

Keep an eye on your trichomes and follow the feeding schedule on your foxfarm products (personally, I start with 1/4 - 1/2 the recommended amounts and adjust accordingly).

Good luck and hope I helped!

3. Thanks for answering me, i would say im about 3 weeks away from cutting any of the bigger ones, one plant was an early flowering strain that is technically finished right now but im gonna let it go. My plants have mostly white hairs still everywhere with an occasional orange. The plants are pretty tall and skinny but have some good branches. One thing i just realized is that if i put them into bigger pots they would be to close to the light so thats out of the question. So knowing i cant do that what do you guys think i should start feeding my plants? Assuming i give each plant 1 1/2 - 2 cups of water every day? Most peoples feeding charts are meant for watering 2 times a week. And feeding 1 time a week. How often do you think i should feed considering? And how often to use just water? And is leeching the soil often a bad idea?

4. First, I wouldn't let the plant go any longer that is ready to be harvested. THC will degrade significantly if you wait too long. So long as you are certain the plant is ready to be chopped, I would go ahead and get that done.

Secondly, I agree with not moving the plants to bigger pots.

For this next part, I will attempt to break down the watering and nutrients in a fashion that I feel is best for your situation. I definitely recommend getting other opinions as well.

Instead of watering less than 2 cups per plant per day, mix your nutrients as recommended in the gallon containers. You aren't going to get an ideal amount of penetration in your soil with just 2 cups per day. Using the gallon container and when the plant is ready, water the plant thoroughly until you see runoff from the drainage holes. The soil should be soaked at this point. Allow the excess water to fully leave the bottom of the pot before placing her back in the grow area.

Feel the pots dry weight before watering and then feel it again after watering. When the pot feels light again, which will certainly take more than 24 hours, repeat the process. As for nutrients, you seem to be doing just fine. I do like to feed every other watering, but remember fertilization is both a science and an art. Watch your plant respond to the nutrients you are giving and adjust accordingly.

Flushing approx. 2 weeks before harvest is generally a good idea. You'll rid the soil and root system of excess/stale nutrients that contribute to bad flavors. Research molasses flushes if you overdue the nutrients.. I've heard good things.

5. hmm i might start flushin gigi now thanks. and im just gonna start giving my plants a little more water cause i just noticed the soil at the bottom is dry by the drain holes

6. Yeah, always water until you see some runoff from the drainage holes. Good luck!