pot flavored candy to become illegal?

Discussion in 'General' started by weedzilla420, Feb 17, 2006.

1. i just read that the georgia state legislature is trying to pass a bill to make hemp flavored candy illegal. they say that it glorifies drug use and that it is an attempt to get young people on drugs. they also said that the hemp oil used to flavor the candies might be considered illegal anyways.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/7147324/detail.html

WSBTV.com
    Lawmakers Want To Outlaw Pot-Flavored Candy

POSTED: 6:56 am EST February 17, 2006

ATLANTA -- Candy that's flavored like marijuana would be outlawed under a bill proposed in the state Senate.

The effort, spearheaded by Sen. Vincent Fort, D-Atlanta, is one of several throughout the nation targeting increasingly popular candies marketed with drug-inspired names like Purple Haze and advertised with slogans such as, "Every Lick is Like Taking a Hit."

Marketers call the treats a harmless novelty. But anti-drug advocates say they glorify drug use and encourage children to smoke pot.

"Should a 9 year old be able to go into a store and get a bag of chips, a soda pop and some dope candy?" said Fort, who announced his bill Thursday in the parking lot of an Atlanta convenience store where he said he bought the candy the day before. "That's ridiculous."

Fort's bill, which was co-signed by several other Democrats and at least one Republican in Georgia's GOP-controlled Senate, bans the sale of any "marijuana or hemp flavored candy" in the state and calls for a penalty of up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine for the second offense.

Companies who sell the candies say the lollipops, gum drops and other treats are geared toward adults and that they advise retailers to sell the candy only to people 18 and older.

They say the candies are flavored with legal hemp oil, which gives them the oily, grassy taste of marijuana.

"It has the flavor and essence, without any of the pharmacological ingredients," Tony Sosa, whose Atlanta-based Hydro Blunts company sells the candies, said in June.

Sosa was unable to be reached by telephone on Thursday.

Some hemp advocates disagree with Sosa, claiming the candy is made with oil from the cannabis plant's flowers that may be illegal.

The web site for Corona, Calif.-based Chronic Candy acknowledges using "hemp essential oil" in its products, but maintains that the oil is legal.

Tom Durkin, a Chicago attorney who represents Chronic Candy, was unable to be reached Thursday for comment.

Neither the U.S. Food and Drug Administration nor the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has reported testing the candies.

Critics say that, regardless of its content, the candy makes using drugs seem more attractive to children who may not have tried marijuana themselves. The Chronic Candy web site features photographs of celebrities, from rapper Snoop Dogg to actor Verne Troyer, eating the candy or wearing clothing advertising the company.

"They not only sell the candy," said community activist and former Atlanta Councilman Derrick Boazman. "They sell a drug-induced lifestyle."

Fort and Boazman were joined in the convenience store parking lot by about a half-dozen people holding signs that read "Stop Chronic Candy." The name is a reference to street slang for marijuana.

An employee inside the store, who did not give his name, said the shop stopped selling the lollipops in the past few days.

Chicago's city council and Suffolk County, N.Y., are among the local governments that already have banned the candies. Lawmakers in several states, including Texas, Michigan, New Jersey and New York, are considering banning or controlling their sale.

Fort said the committee considering his bill is scheduled to hold a public hearing on it next week.
    Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. You cant get high off that candy. Its harmless. Just more goverment bullshit.

3. ^Yup.

But fuck Georgia. If I recall, they also outlawed selling sex toys in that state. Just a bunch of fucking retarded hicks if you ask me (the people in charge, not necessarily anyone who lives there).

4. imagine what it would be like to have an arrest record for possession of a dildo

5. This is complete bullshit, fuck the government, you can't even have somthing that tastes like weed. Fucking idiots.

6. LMAO hahahaha yea, that would suck.

7. Dunno if it's for possession, but selling it is a year in an ironically poind-me-in-the-ass prison. And this is a recent law too, not like from a long time ago. 1998-ish I think.

8. Wow making candy illegal whats next ? The spencers up around here used to sell weed flavored lollypops they sold like crazy too, you would have to go up and have them order some for you because they where constantly sold out. They stopped selling them ( I dont know why ) Ive heard they got in trouble for it though but I dont know for sure.

9. i heard that oral sex was illegal in Georgia... seriously. someone plz say no lol

Edit: ok it was illegal, but it was declared unconstitutional as recent as 1998! LMAO. what a bunch of bitches. http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/georgia/georgia.htm

10. Now, maybe I'm wrong about this, but I saw an interview with the guy who made this, and he said you can't buy it unless you're 18, so I don't see how a 9 year old can get it, unless the store is shady, and that's the store's fault, not the makers...and honestly, with all the decriminalization that is going on in the US right now... I don't think it will matter much..

~ Terpsichore

11. Thats like banning alchahol free beer

12. ya cause you know when ever you go into your local head shop, spencers, novelty shop you see a bunch of nine year old kids running around buying weed related items give me a fucking break

13. If I go hang myself in a rope made out of hemp, I'll bet they will ban hemp for it's durability and usefullness in suicides.

Any takers?

14. "dope candy"

lol, what do these people think is going to happen when the next generation moves into office? Do they really think they're preventing some sort of drug epidemic by banning candy that has Marjiuana leafs on them...

Hmmm, I wonder.

15. It's all about control.

They subvertly supply impovrished neighboorhood with drugs, and then arrest us to keep us in line.

Wouldn't want to dissent the government.

They're just upset that the nice upper-middle class suburban kids love the reefer. Everybody should be able to toke up.

16. This is bullshit. They sell candy that looks like cigs, and they sell that to kids. These people are just ignorant.

Just my 2 cents,
    Bob

17. yea, man! those fucking candy ciggaretts? what about those! my god... american government is so screwed up i'm with rasta man on this one:D if its not on the market of economy they dont want it around... assholes

18. that is stupid ... but I've had one of the lollipops (my friend heard about them on the news and bought some) ... I don't understand who the market is for "dope candy" anyway ... because It tastes like shit ... Have any of ya'll tried them? Doesn't taste like weed to me ... tastes like -- well I can't even explain it but it was nasty ... I thre it away after I tasted it. And they're expensive as hell. We got ours at spencers behind the counter ... but I think they don't even have them behind the corner because people got mad ... I would (as we all would) much rather :smoke:

:edit: sorry to be redundant ... and as Aconites points out below ... I don't smoke weed for the taste ...

19. i bought one time at my local headshop and i thought it wasnt that bad. but all it is political to try and make more money and shit, so fucked up

20. Fucking ignorant... Man, I need to become an activist and own the government sometime...