Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pot and PTSD

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by mmidd05, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Hey everyone this is my first post. I left the military a few months ago and I've been going to the VA for the treatment of PTSD. So far they've been really helpful in caring for me. One thing that is kind of bothering me is their attitude towards me smoking. They've told me that they want me to quit. They said they won't force me to but I will be taking random drug tests. They said that testing positive will not get me in trouble or kicked out but it's still bothering me. I've tried to explain that it has no effect on my life and in a lot of ways it helps me out because it's the only time I feel like I'm able to chill out and not have to worry or be on the move all the time. Has anyone else gone through this and can anyone give me some advice? Thanks for your help.

2. VA = FEDS

FEDS can't be trusted in areas concerning MJ/MMJ. They will use the pot smoking as an excuse to cut your benefits or deny you future help.:mad:

3. They will deff do this! My buddy lost his leg in an iraq and I was his NMA for about 6 months at the Walter Reed. They were constantly trying to cut his benefits and find ways to get him out.

4. I've done some research of my own and told them I've seen that it's believed to help but they denied that. So far all I've gotten from them is the same old "it's illegal cuz it's bad, it's bad cuz it's illegal" run around. Honestly if they do in fact try to fuck me over, oh well. I'm so fed up with all the bullshit I've had to go through that I might just stop going to them. Thanks for your help everyone.

5. I'll be ETSing here in about a year, I am diagnosed with PTSD aswell. Can't you just be like, hey fuck you guys I'm not going to the VA anymore? and Seek help elsewhere?

6. I dont know ANYTHING about PTSD but I know that marijuana definitely relieves stress so..go for it man

7. You might find these of interest (click the first link in my sig for a REAL education!)

Never fear, cannabinoids are here (article - 2002)
    http://mcforadhd.free.fr/naturefear.pdf

The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinction of aversive memories.
    (abst - 2002)
    The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinct... [Nature. 2002] - PubMed result

Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories (news - 2002)
    cannabisnews.com: Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories

Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories
    (news - 2002)
    Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories: Scientific American

Endocannabinoids extinguish bad memories in the brain (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear (news - 2002)
    Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear

Natural high helps banish bad memories (news - 2002)
    Natural high helps banish bad memories - 31 July 2002 - New Scientist

Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana (news - 2004)
    NewsMine.org - Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana

Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear (full - 2005)
    Neuropsychopharmacology - Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear

Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes (full - 2006)
    Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes -- Kamprath et al. 26 (25): 6677 -- Journal of Neuroscience

PTSD and Cannabis: A Clinician Ponders Mechanism of Action (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

Cannabis Eases Post Traumatic Stress (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

Modulation of Fear and Anxiety by the Endogenous Cannabinoid System
    (full - 2007)

Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice (news - 2007)
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal (news - 2007)
    LP: Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal

PTSD and Cannabis: A Clinician Ponders Mechanism of Action (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

(full - 2007)

Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users (abst - 2007)
    Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users.

Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice (news - 2007)
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal (news - 2007)
    LP: Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal

Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance
    (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance -- Ganon-Elazar and Akirav 29 (36): 11078 -- Journal of Neuroscience

The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the management of treatment-resistant nightmares in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). (abst - 2009)
    The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the manageme... [CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009] - PubMed result

The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the management of treatment-resistant nightmares in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). (abst - 2009)
    The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the manageme... [CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009] - PubMed result

Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD (news - 2009)
    Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD | health

'Pot' may help combat PTSD U. of Haifa study shows (news - 2009)
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_8048/is_20091105/ai_n47410466/

Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna (anecdotal - 2010)
    Marijuana-Uses » Blog Archive » Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna

In addition, for even more, run a search for "Dr. Phil Leveque PTSD" and you will get the good doctor's many articles on PTSD. Dr. Leveque suffers from PTSD from WWII and is a staunch cannabis advocate! For a dude who's old enough to be MY father, Dr. Leveque still gets around just fine and writes some pretty good articles!

You might even share a few of these with your doctors. :rolleyes:

And welcome to GC! Lots of good folks here!

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks to all for the help. Since my last few visits, I've kinda met in the middle with them. We agreed that I lessen my smoking. I appreciate the help and I'm gonna check those sites. Hope it all works out.

9. I am also an OIF veteran.. 2 tours, combat medic.. all that great stuff.

Been out for a year. I've been going to the VA for sessions with my psychologist.. I've tried pretty much everything she has offered me other than pharmaceuticals (I am staunchly against any pharm) and honestly.. nothing has worked. Deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation.

I can't sleep, I constantly feel like there is a lingering weight on me.. I feel like I am being watched, and am constantly analyzing situations. If there is any kind of ruckus at school/out in public (someone shouting, car tires screeching, loud unexpected noises) I jump and get completely hypervigilant. Even driving in traffic makes me very anxious. I hate that I feel this way every day. Some days are better than others, but sometimes I just wake up in a terrible mood and it stays with me every day. I really feel as though I can't "feel" anymore.. someone dies, bad things happen.. I just have an "oh" kind of attitude. Nothing can truly make me happy or sad anymore.

I am getting a lot of resistance from my wife. I know my PTSD and anxiety weighs on her a lot (I don't really like to go out that much.. wal-mart and supermarkets and places like that) and I have tried mostly everything she has suggested. I have tried homeopathy, vitamin regimen, nutrition.. pretty much everything except the brain-altering meds they prescribe at the VA.

I want to try marijuana for it's medicinal properties, but she is always saying "WELL I DON'T WANT YOU STONED ALL THE TIME" like I'm just going to sit around and rip fat ass bong hits all day all night. Her family also looks down on it to the fucking EXTREME.

It is not legal at all in Florida, but it's not hard to come by.. I would feel kind of bad for using illegally but I am really suffering here.. how can I use MJ and still respect my wife's opinion?

Also.. I feel I am at fault because I don't really express myself that well and my wife probably does not realize how bad I am..

Thanks for all the great resources in this thread.. they are motivating to say the least.

10. You are going to have to educate her. Most resistance about cannabis comes from its illegality or lack of information. Show her the articles about cannabis helping with PTSD. (I'm working as best I can to get medical cannabis legal everywhere, but we ALL have to work to get it re-legalized!)

Run a search for famous cannabis users- I think even you'll be surprised at some of the names! Cannabis use does not make you a couch potato or an idiot!

Would she rather have you strung out on a daily, "stoned all the time" pill? My hubby suffers from chronic depression and the pharmaceuticals leave him a "zoned-out zombie". His reaction is not uncommon. With cannabis, he can function normally.

Ask her to run a search on any anti-depressant or other mood-altering pharmaceutical and ask her to compare them with the side effects of cannabis. (Hunger, thirst, the giggles, red eyes, and maybe drowsiness with some strains).

The biggest problem with medical cannabis use is its illegality. Making the choice to use an effective herbal medicine over pharmaceutical$, should not put you at risk of imprisonment!

Granny :wave:

11. The Israeli army gives out weed to soldiers with PTSD, and they are one of the most high-tech, advanced armies in the world. Weed is definitely the way to go. I would watch out for federal programs trying to perform drug tests on you.

12. VA ISSUES OFFICIAL MEDICAL MARIJUANA DIRECTIVE -- "The purpose of this VHA Directive is to provide guidance on access to and the use of medical marijuana by Veteran patients." - VA Watchdog dot Org - 07-28-2010

i am a army dude with ptsd also. during one of my va appointments marijuana got brought up and the shrink was telling me how a lot of vets smoke(this was before i started smoking again). i asked to be put on marinol to make it legal and the shrink laughed and said not in this state.

do you have a va claim for ptsd, have you been rated? <--some what personal stuff so if you dont want to answer its all good. i have some experience in this area and if you need any help or a lawer i can recommend you one.

13. I don't know anything about what the above poster mentioned, but my friend moved to America from Israel after serving in IDF. He suffers from PTSD and we blaze all the time. I don't know to what degree his condition affects him however. He seems fine all the time except if there's fireworks or something.

14. Yes I am currently rated at 50% PTSD and 20% other, totalling 60% (VA Math.) I've been out about 1 year and 2-3 months. Still fighting for other benefits, but that's a different story.

Storm Crow, that's just the problem. She is VERY educated. She currently has her bachelors in Alternative Medicine and she is working towards an N.D. to become a Naturopath. She specializes in herbs, homeopathy, all that stuff. She wants the hard facts. She doesn't like the idea of me getting "street" weed because it's cultivation cannot be traced. This is a big deal for me as well, because I don't want weed with a shit-ton of nasty pesticides and all that crap, but I know most weed is not grown with all that shit.

Her biggest downfall when it comes to marijuana is her idea that it will completely change me as a person in her eyes, which I can understand, but it's not like I'll be sitting in my room hitting fat bong rips all day all night and playing Dead Space at 2am with my mouth open.

She is my greatest friend, and my greatest obstacle.. but I guess that's what a good wife should be.

15. My wife has noticed zero difference, other than I sleep better, can walk further, see better, can write legiably....but no change in personality at all.

Are you in a medical marijuana state? Have you considered moving to one?

16. Yes, moving to Oregon sometime around 2012.

17. #18 whiskey, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    I have PTSD too. My therapist tells me that I should consider not smoking because it doesn't allow me to deal with my anxiety (PTSD related) directly. She says it's an escape, not a true coping mechanism.

You know what? On some level, she's right. When I feel it creeping up on me, what do I do? I smoke. In order to get over PTSD you have to deal with the issues at hand, but I choose not to deal with the issues in a sober way, and my PTSD has remained.

That being said, weed really does help me. I'm constantly vigilant and it allows me to relax. I'm sure you understand this -- I feel normal when I smoke, like I'm not worried about who's coming down the hall or what else may be going on, I don't listen to every sound and analyse it and I imagine that's what real life is like for most people who don't have to deal with this.

My PTSD isn't that bad, considering, but I do see my therapists point of view, but I also believe because she doesn't have PTSD she doesn't know what kind of relief it brings me. It's nice to be able to relax for once.

18. #19 tharedhead, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    So your therapist does not ascribe to the current theories about "therapeutic forgetting" and its role in PTSD treatment?:confused: The main problem with PTSD being that the stressful event is fixed in your mind

Directed forgetting in PTSD: a comparative study v... [J Psychiatry Res. 2006] - PubMed result

The idea with using cannabis whenever you have the PTSD memories, is to gradually uncouple those memories from the stress they engender, thereby erasing the PTSD response.

More:

ISRAELI STUDY: POT MAY HELP COMBAT PTSD -- "The results of our research should encourage psychiatric investigation into using cannabinoids." - VA Watchdog dot Org - 11-05-2009
    U. of Haifa study shows 'pot' may help combat PTSD

Enough "escaping" and the memory loses its ability to trigger anxiety, and is relegated to being just another, unweighted, memory.

19. There are several different theories and methods on how to treat PTSD. I've been with my therapist for 12 years and she knows how I use marijuana when it comes to my PTSD.

I'm sorry, but I do see where she's coming from when she tells me not to smoke. I can directly see how it's an avoidance technique for me instead of a therapeutic one. There ARE other options.

She wants me to TREAT my PTSD so it's no longer an issue, not smother it down it marijuana, which has done no service to my PTSD. Instead of me dealing with my PTSD and treating the anxiety with marijuana, I could be better if I allowed myself to face it head on. :confused_2: