Possibly building a gaming PC.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by hippie flip, Oct 30, 2011.

1. How does this look?

[​IMG]

Looking for suggestions and advice.

Want to play games like BF3 on high, and upcoming games in 2012.

2. #2 noviceGrower420, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
    looks good only thing i would differently is

add 4 more gigs of ram. Its so cheap and very important , so why not?

I personally really dont like WD, so i would rock a samsung or different brand hard drive. I LOVE SSD ( solid state drives) but they are way more exspensive but sometimes its nice to pick up like a 120 gig one and put your operating system on it with a few choice games. It will REALLY speed things up. Imo, the SSD is one of the best upgrades a pc can have.

The retail processor comes with a cooling fan, so id scrap the aftermark one because its really not needed. save a little cash.

Better yet,,,, scrap the cooler fan , scrap the overpriced cavier harddrive. Buy a normal basic 1 Tb or half TB hard drive. THey should run 50 bucks american, so cheaper in your currency. Then, use the left over and buy that SSD i was talking about. Should be able to find a 120 gig one for like 150 american. That SSD will blow the cavier right out of the fucking water.

3. Yeah I am going to add another 4 gigs of RAM. Thought about an SSD but so expensive, and I thought they only really improve things like boot times and load times.

4. They improve a lot of functions. Such as loading into a game, loading new parts of map, changing clothes, changing textures, etc.... and other game functions. Smoothes out the whole function, DEFF worth it in my opinion. I was on the fence as well but really glad someone convinced me. booting your computer up in a few seconds is sexy.

5. #5 guyverman, Oct 30, 2011
    If your not planning on overclockin then you can save yourself another 15$USD by getting the normal sandy bridge 2500 instead of the "k". I see nothing else wrong except maybe that CAS 9 RAM, I'd say try for 8GB of CAS 7 for a minimum latency of the 1333MHz flavor. Atleast 1 SSD is a must or maybe 2x 500GB 7200rpm in RAID 0; or both and your set man.

6. get the 2500k and overclock that sucker. you can get up to like 4.3 ghz on the stock cooler. 2500k is THE best gaming cpu out right now. other than that, novice grower touched a lot of the main points. a SSD is an AMAZING upgrade. get a 64 gig SSD throw the OS on it and whatever couple games you happen to be playing at the time and you are golden. Besides that have your HDD for storage.

The 560 ti should definitely do the job paired up with that 2500k

7. Think I just found my next upgrade :D :smoke:

8. Yep, even the low end SSDs read/write data almost twice as fast as HDD, the biggest difference is the random IOPs though.

The 10,000 rpm WD raptor HDD does about 100 - 150 IOPs, whereas a low end SSD could easily manage 20,000 - 30,000 IOPs.

9. Oh shit, I just noticed your monitor, if it doesn't have a 2ms GTG response the throw it to the curb. If you can't find an affordable LED with 2ms GTG then look for a CCFL with 2ms, it won't have the colors and contrast of an LED but fast pixel response will get you through those fast paced moments in games much better than any amount of colors will.

Other than that, this is what I'm workin with....................I wish.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

10. #10 hippie flip, Oct 30, 2011
    I really want an SSD but it's a budget issue. Trying to keep this cheap. It's probably something I will add in the future.

Also should I consider AMD/ATI or should I stick with Nvidia/Intel

11. And do I need a sound card?

12. What are you referring to? Your graphics card? Your GPU is fine, thats a good card. STAY with NVIDIA, better support IMO.

A soundcard is not necessary, but you would tell a difference without a doubt if you had one.... for about ~50$g et a Asus Xonar DX pcie card.

13. You can also get a 64 gig SSD for like 80$

14. SSD is a BIG deal, spring for atleast a 64GB, because that 1 SSD is still faster than 10 HDDs in RAID 0.

And as far as Intel vs AMD; Intel is like caviar, the good shit/expensive, but not really needed when you can still get a 3.0+GHz 4 core(8 thread) CPU from AMD.
    I wouldn't get Intel unless I could afford the set up that posted link to in my previous post, anything other than that and I'd use AMD.

ATI vs Nvidia really doesn't matter, Nvidia might have more software support(not really sure), but, ATI usually stays on top for overall throughput.