Possible Root Rot?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by persianz, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Hello, I was hoping someone could shed some light on what may become a big problem for me in the near future. I setup a simple low pressure Aeroponic system in a black tote. I have about 10 gallons of water with a pump that sprays the roots 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off. It’s a all in one system with no res. I do have a auto too off with a float switch that tops off with fresh RO water that is about 36PPM.

I am using Canna Aqua A and B right now along with Rhizotonic and Cannazym. I monitor PPM and PH with a Blu Lab meter that is very accurate.

Now to the problem. I have noticed a light brown slime that is starting to develop mostly on the top of the root system. I’m starting to think this is the beginning of root rot. I have tried Hydroguard although I think the bottle may be expired and it did not help. With the next res water change I tried UC roots and that did not help as well.

The plants look happy in veg mode right now keeping PPM at 400 to 500. I also added cal mag that may also have expired. The roots that have reached the bottom seem to be white but the roots hanging are starting to get this light brown slimy color that is worrying.

Please view my photos and see if you think this the start of root rot and what I should do if anything at all.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The purple light makes it hard to tell. I don't see root rot. Yes, brown sludge is not a good sign, but I don't see that sort of problem in the photos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. make sure you're not getting light down into the res, clean the chunkies out of the res, bring the temps down (lower 60's if possible). All of these suggestions will help reduce the growth of unwanted organic material in the res, but if it turns out to be root rot for real, I would just start over. For now, clean things up a bit and wait.

4. In this close up photo you can see how some roots are white and some have this light brown color and what appears to be a slimy film on them.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Maybe someone else can chime in. Either I don't see root rot, or I don't identify it because I've seen it at a later stage. Since you're all in one tote there, you should just grow this thing out and see what happens. If you're getting film on the roots, try to clean things up, but as I said, if it's rot then it's gone already in my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dont know what the brown sludge is either but the roots dont seem to be affected they look healthy ,,,mac,

• Like Like x 1
  7. Most root issues in aero are triggered by high temps in the root chamber.