Possesion of Marijuana Charge in Michigan

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by MyNamesAustin, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Cop pulls me (the driver) and a friend (passenger) over after I went to drop him off at his car in a Wendy's parking lot where I met him earlier (he followed us from the Walmart parking lot near by, claiming it was "suspicious" we got in my car after leaving the store, sat there for a second then left- cop claims there's lots of retail fraud going on in the area.)

He pulls up, we give him our licenses and pulls me out of the car, asking why it smelled heavily of cologne and eventually asking how much weed is in the car. He tells me to pull out any weed or weed-related paraphernalia and I won't go to jail that night, but if I miss anything when he searches the car afterwards I'd be arrested. I hand over two bags of weed, combined total of no more than 2 grams, a grinder, a bong and three bowls. He flashes his flashlight in my car, which is a little messy as I haven't had time to clean it, and calls me the laziest pothead he's ever seen in his life.

I also bring up the fact that there's some empty beer bottles and about a 1/4 bottle of wine in the car since he's gonna search it anyways, but that's apparently "okay" since he can tell I'm not drunk and of age to buy alcohol. Oh yeah, he didn't even end up searching the car on his own like he said he would.

Well he goes back to his car with our licenses for a solid 15 minutes while we wait in my car, comes back and says I'm going to be receiving something in the mail about a 93 day misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge and that I'll probably get probation.

Now, my questions are as follows:

How long does it typically take to receive this notice in the mail? I know it depends on how quick they can process it at the office but is it usually a quick process?

This is my first criminal offense of any kind, is conditional discharge common?

I'm a broke college kid, what should I do about hiring a lawyer with next to no money?

Any input or experiences on the topic are much appreciated, and I'm well aware that this is my fault and I'm responsible for my actions so please save the "shouldn't of done that" speeches.

I'm from Livingston County, Michigan.

Thanks.

2. #2 oldskoolgrower, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
    You really need to be asking a lawyer, not random Internet stoners.

EDIT: Try contacting your local NORML chapter. Sometimes they know people who do pro bono work.

3. I thought Michigan has medical now

4. #4 freenerd, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
    Livingston eh?

I lived in Ann Arbor, where it was decriminalized, but once you go outside of Ann Arbor, they get pretty strict.

A similar thing happened to my friends, in Huron, while we were all in college. He even missed his court date and was a fugitive. So much later, he called a dealer and the dealer said come pick it up. It turned out, it was a cop impersonating our dealer on the phone, while the dealer was handcuffed at his place. So my friend went there and got arrested again.

Well, he was required to be piss tested like once, went to the court, and he just paid a fine and they eventually erased it from his record. You'll be fine. You can get this expunged from your record quite easily if its your first thing. This was all done through the court appointed lawyer, so make sure you consult with a lawyer, obviously.

5. I can't afford a lawyer, how exactly do pro bono lawyers work? I don't understand why they'll represent your case if they don't get anything out of it (if I'm correct on how this works)?

They do. I don't have any qualifying conditions under the MMMA nor past doctor documentation to back it up so I've been put off on trying to get one.

How do I go about getting in contact with a court-appointed lawyer? Do you know the process?

I actually go to school in Ann Arbor and just the other day I was thinking about how drastically different the weed laws are there verses where I live 30 minutes away.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Not that it helps but bro 3 bowls and a bong? Damn dude that is asking for trouble. But one of my friends got busted too and he is pretty sure the cop just took his weed and bowl for himself just got a disorderly conduct at court and a small fine lol was a first offense though

7. Whatever you need to do to get the money to hire a lawyer...DO IT....

Don't forget that a court appointed lawyer/public defender gets his pay check from the same people that pay the prosecutor.

Call around and ask lawyers how much it'll cost to defend you, and see if they'll help you stretch out the payments.

Good luck...

8. I'm assuming he let that slide, as he didn't say anything about drug paraphernalia charges, just possession.