Political correctness...what's your take?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Mr Skinner, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesterday I got jumped by some kid in another thread because I called a retard a retard...there was no offense implied and me\'n that retard are quite close, actually. And once I got jumped for telling a deaf joke (which I heard from me ex, who\'s deaf)...

But I think all that PC shit can often get in the way of conversation. When people stop focusing on the issue and focus on single words they think are negative...

Kid said calling a retarded person a retard is like calling a (dunno if this is PC...over here it is) black person a nigger. I don\'t quite agree with that, but that\'s not the point...

I think PC is complete and utter euphemism. And it\'s a bit patronising. Who found out we have to call retarded \"special\"???

I know there\'s a gap between all countries. Calling someone black, sometimes negro (which means black) is still ok here, but there have been discussions around that subject, too. Till there came some black celebrities who said \"I don\'t wanna be called \'african-norwegian\'...I\'m black\".

After all I\'m not white, ether. Snow is (well not all, some is yellow), bur I don\'t mind anyone calling me white...

Anyhoo...discuss...

2. It all really depends on the context. Your retard comment was acceptable as you meant no offense. But if someone were speaking from hate or plain ignorance I don\'t think it would be acceptable.

3. the whole PC thing has gotten way nuts...

the term retarded was a widely accepted term of years....now its ta bo

I was taught the term Mongaloyd.....why becauise my cousin is a down syndrome child..... and that word was used to describe her condition........try that one today when conversing about a....\"mentally challenged person\"......whew what a mouthful ..

People wil look at you like you have 6 heads.

The term that really gets me is Niggar.

growing up in Detroit in the 70\'s I used it and was called it all thru my childhood.

Even being a white guy I was called niggar everyday ....

Now today......yikes.....

Afro americans today commonly use it in the WORST way it can be used.....as a demeaning, derogatory, racist word...Whats up with that mentality????????..talk about takin something out of context

In my day to hear the phase \"whats up nigga\"....was just the same as Hows it going . or whats happening.....

The point is NOBODY really used it in hate...at least not in the schools an playgrounds I grew up in ....there were a handful that used it in hate ...but those type of thinkers will always be around.....you just deal with it as general lack of intelligence.

TO set the record straight about the word ......go to a real dictionary.....the defination does not specify skin color......the term describes a socailly downtrodden or objectional member of society.......not a black person.....ANY PERSON...per se.... not based on color

Ya just got to grin an bear it ......because tomorrow sayin hello may not be a correct term either.

smile people......... they are only words .....

4. I am one of the most unPC person I know. I cuss like a sailor. Fuck is my most favorite word. I hate it when people tell me I don\'t sound like a lady when I say fuck so much. I use to feel ashamed because people would tell me that. Now...I don\'t give a fuck. If someone tells me they do not appreciate cuss words, I will respect their wishes and tame my comments when with them. I try to respect people when it comes to being PC, but telling me cussing is wrong is possibly the most ignorant thing I can hear. Words are words are words. Pussy, Dick, Shit, Bitch, Bastard, Motherfucker, Cunt, Goddamn, Fuckity Fuck Fuck.

For me the line is drawn when someone uses these words against me to hurt me or \"put me in my place\". Say for example I am walking down the sidewalk and I walk buy a group of guys saying bitch this or bitch that and yelling cat calls. I take offense to this. I\'m not on display for judgement by those who don\'t know me. Plus it just sucks. When I lived in Texas, this happened all the time. The Mexican men would be resting for lunch and they make the worst/nastiest cat calls you could imagine. I just wish they could get a clue. When in Rome do as the Romans and shut your fucking mouth.

I dunno, I think being PC is a slippery slope. You can\'t please everyone. My friends usually have me around for a reality check. I have no problem saying exactly what is on my mind, but I do it in a way that is the least offensive. At least this is what I have been told. (unless giving offense is necessary) The thing my friends tell me the most is this, \"haha No one would ever be able to say what you just said and get away with it. I was a true statement but your mater-of-fact, innocent persona allows you to get away with saying the most outrageous things.\" Hell just going back and reading that makes me feel weird. I\'m just who I am (an open, opinionated book of 10 years of independent living). Whoa...how did this turn into such a selfindulgent post... yuck.

Upon future reflection I think being PC is bullshit. Just another way of someone else controlling our thoughts; teaching us that words are bad, when they only add color to our lives...

5. Words can never describe what people really want to say or what/how they feel. Now take this and use it on the net.. and you\'ll never fully understand what the person really feels. Fighting over the net is a stupid thing to do. As for talking and chatting and maybe the occasional debate, I think thats all right. But its not like im going to tell someone off over the net. LoL like really... this is how that convo would look

1: Hey man, fuck you! you suck dick!
    2: Whaever dude.. this shit is for psssies, fo fuck your mom.
    1: Learn how to type you little bitch
    2: Dude, your so fukin gay dude...

Or something to that extent :smoke:

6. I much rather enjoy being controversial instead of politically correct. Like some fat slimy politician is gonna tell me what to say. Beotches ;)

7. well in my point of view, it\'s okay to call retards retards.. for the simple fact that the word says what it means.. ok, in Spanish, \"retrasado\" (my Spanish spelling is horrible) means retarded, but also means late, backpeddled, etc.. it sort of means backwards too.. it\'s not PinC to say \"el es retrasado\" because that\'s what it freakin\' means.. \"he is retarded\".. English, in my opinion, is a very offensive language.. anything can be taken as an insult or sexual innuendo..

even saying \"what\'s your problem?\" will spawn different reactions from people.. some will take it as a challenge and others will take it like a therapy question, literally meaning, what IS your problem? even \"what do you want?\" can be taken this way..

so retard isn\'t really a bad word or anything if it\'s not meant as an insult.. not everyone knows the word for whatever disease/malfunction.. we\'re not doctors.. retard is all we know, and calling them special when they might not be special at all is an insult to my language.. special meaning extraordinary/better than the average.. and most people are not special..

8. Wait, how did the deaf person hear you? XD Ok, that was kinda mean.

I think it\'s stupid how many people throw around \"Nigger\" like it\'s an everyday word. Seems like they should take a trip through time. BACK in time...

And so many people make fun of Jews. My best friend is a Jew, and honestly, he\'s the coolest (weirdest) guy ever (That\'s you, Max).

BAAH! I hate racism.

I also hate femenists.

I\'m not very political correct. I hate how it\'s considered bad to call people what they are. Deaf is deaf, not \"auditorally challenged.\" Midget will always be midget to me, and frankly, I respect midgets because they can do millions of things that I couldn\'t even dream of doing.

BAAH

9. Some people do speak sign language :p

10. PC is fuckin gay

11. I got told off for calling someone retarded once, its dumb how society looks at some things. People are not special because they have disabilities they are disabled if they have disabilities. the only PC i belive in is I am a marijuana user not a drug abuser... that even rhymes how is that not beliveable? anyway I was constantly in trouble at school for my colourful ways of explaining things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.