Police stop 70-year-old man for expired tags, shoot him for holding a cane

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Earth Ling, Mar 19, 2014.

1. What's that supposed to mean?

2. Good, he deserved it.

3. But i don't believe that it should be your right to own a gun just simply by virtue of being alive. Regardless of your personal opinion on the right to bear arms, you have to agree that a country with less guns always = less gun murders, and less chance of things like this happening whether the old man was in the wrong or not.

4. Imho; I don't believe our rights should be held in question when speaking of gun ownership. The U.S.A. has since it's inception deemed guns as pivotal to our freedom. Currently our idealogy about guns has grown petty and ignorant.
    There used to be guns laying loaded right by the front door and for decades children were taught to respect not the gun, but what that gun is capable of and to bear heavy the responsability of the consequences.
    :bongin:

5. Its the police jobs to serve and protect against rapists, murders, and pedophiles . Uhh, that's what they signed up for. Shooting unarmed citizens and beating them to death or near death is not part of the job description.

6. In order to achieve that and protect themselves in a gun happy society and a drug and gang ridden culture. And unarmed people unfortunately take the blow sometime, a lot of the time, like this instance, by non compliance and reaching for unknown objects in and possibly threatening way.

Police should receive more training, but until we stop allocating time and money on drug enforcement it's unlikely money will be used to better the officers in blue.

7. I keep watching the first 30 seconds of this. The man goes to grab his cane, the police officer yells "hey sir, sir, sir....woah!" and they open fire. 5-6 shots were fired, THEN the officer says "drop the gun". 

8. Because someone reaching for a gun while demonstrating non compliance and acting off is likely to comply to a "drop the gun" command...

9. :confused_2:  I dunno, man. You tell me. 

The only non-compliance I saw was expired tags. 

10. The cop was wrong. If you can't asses the situation better, if you're too afraid of getting killed, if you don't deal with these types of situations better.. Than don't become a police officer.
    It's scary times, indeed but we can't be afraid cops are going to blow us away at any second. How can we trust them?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Staying in your vehicle and not making quick movements and reaching for unknown objects sure helps.

12.  lol sounds like the bear activity warnings I see when I go hiking. 

13. Yeah bears have little trust around perceived threats due to the nature of trust in a position they're in (usually a mothers protecting her young).

Pretty good analogy for the cop in that aspect I suppose. Cops don't trust people due to the nature of our society and follow officers being murdered, thus acting a certain way around them is best for your safety.

14. Watching this lead me to watch that other video someone named in the comment section on youtube with the same situation but where the passenger of the vehicle pulls out an assault rifle and shoots the cop, holy shit that was disturbing to watch and i'm normally not touched by these things.

15. People are very unpredictable, especially when they feel they're caught and have nothing to lose... Shit happens so fast, and one slight hesitation when you begin to become uneasy with a situation and your life is over. All because you were doing your job.

16. #116 Xenzin, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    We should put up "Officer activity" warning signs, to lower the amount of citizens mauled by officers of the law. :bongin:

17. Or we inform citizens of their rights, how and when to assert them, and how to conduct oneself during a leo encounter.

Or we can just ridicule them on a personal vendetta against shitty cops or shitty situations instead of doing something proactive to help protect the average or uninformed citizen.

18. I dunno what you said but I'm sure you thought I was serious about actually put up signs.
    As serious as I would hire Smokey the bear to tell people "Only YOU can prevent Police maulings." :bongin:

19. #119 jmick, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    I think a lot of this would stop if the police didn't have a free pass to shoot first and ask questions later...it happens regularly here in Florida.

Too bad we can't have some legislation that would require the first 2 rounds in a cop's sidearm be rubber bullets...

20. Rubber bullets, like any non lethal weapon, has potentiality for lethality and doesn't always stop a threat. People are still able to attack when hit by beanbags, rubber bullets, taser, etc.