Police stop 70-year-old man for expired tags, shoot him for holding a cane

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Earth Ling, Mar 19, 2014.

1. #41 Strollin'crow, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    go pull someone over

fuck the police, fuck you for playing the devil's advocate

fuck an edifice built on oppression and fear

fuck instigators

we all make mistakes.

and it's true, i am biased. towards common sense, empathy and respect

biased against fear, violence and oppression based gang control

2. My opinion is that Police Officers need to be held to a high standard, a standard higher than nearly every other profession. I mean they can carry firearms and summarily execute those civilians that they deem to pose a threat. That kind of ability or allowance of force should not be taken as lightly as it seems it is today among Law Enforcement.

Besides with statistics showing that fatality rates of Police Officers are at a five decade low, one would think that civilian deaths would be heard of less and less but instead news about police brutality and civilian deaths by their hands are often brought to my attention without even being sought out.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6702607-Law-enforcement-fatalities-dip-to-lowest-level-in-six-decades/

3. he got out of his car at a traffic stop without being prompted.

People make mistakes. the old man did, and so did the cop.

Not all cops are bad, just like all Mexicans aren't lazy, all black people aren't drug dealers and all Asians aren't good at math.

Sent from my burner

4. Yeah, the old man's mistake was bringing a cane to a gun fight.

5. Nope it was getting out of the car and then reaching back into it for a long object...

6. GC is all fucked up and my replies aren't posting when I quote someone apparently, but the dude is alive for the record. He was hit once and is expected to make a full recovery. 

7. So much hostility clouding your judgment and controlling your views of others.

Have fun with that. I don't need to be told to fuck off because my view is different than yours. I left that drama behind in high school

Oh wow. I thought he died. Well then there's even less reason to get pissed off about this. Poor old guy will probably do things differently next time.

It's a good lesson though. You gotta remember to watch how you act around cops. You know you're harmless, but the cop doesn't. People gotta remember that.

9. #49 Xenzin, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    Firstly, there is no law or "police protocol" that dictates you must remain in your vehicle when pulled over;
    Secondly a cop does not have the authority to demand you to remain in your vehicle when pulled over;
    Thirdly the streets are not a "warzone" at least not for a cop, only 120 police officers died in 2012 in the entire U.S.A.

It is just sad how people monger in fear in order to justify the police's actions. I hope it's one of you on the other side of one of these cops one day. Get a few doses of reality, hopefully an overdose.
    :bongin:

10. You're dumb. If he would've stayed in his car the officer wouldn't have gotten jumpy and he probably wouldn't have ended up shooting him.

Considering that it is recommended that you stay in your car with your hands on the wheel, to indicate you are not doing anything wrong and complying with the officers request. Which is what most people usually do during a traffic stop.

It raised suspicion, and regardless if less cops died in 2012 (its 2014 btw) there is always still the possibility of someone doing something irrational.

Sent from my burner

11. Its always best to be a little defensive and avoid certain situations completely, it seems alot of people on this site think the opposite lol

Sent from my burner

12. If that really had been a shotgun that doddering old guy would have taken so long to bring it up to shoot, the cop would have had plenty of time to tell what it was...

Granted the old guy should have stayed in the truck, but if y'all know any old folks you know they are in a different world than young people, the cop should have known that as well....glad he was ok...

13. #53 Xenzin, Mar 21, 2014
    [quote name="By the Beard of Stew!" post="19722345" timestamp="1395422014"]You're dumb.[\\quote]

Opening with ad hominem, how original...
    [quote name="By the Beard of Stew!" post="19722345" timestamp="1395422014"]If[\\b] he would've stayed in his car the officer wouldn't have gotten jumpy[\\b] and he probably wouldn't[\\b] have ended up shooting him.[\\quote]

Those are mighty big assumptions coming from reading an online article, or you also going to tell me the cop or the old guy is a friend of a friend?

[quote name="By the Beard of Stew!" post="19722345" timestamp="1395422014"]Considering that it is recommended that you stay in your car with your hands on the wheel, to indicate you are not doing anything wrong and complying with the officers request. [\\quote]

So, either you comply or get gunned down, you're totally right that is fair. You know how the law says "Guilty until proven innocent," right?

[quote name="By the Beard of Stew!" post="19722345" timestamp="1395422014"]Which is what most people usually do during a traffic stop.[\\quote]

The only fact amongst your essay of zealous opinions.

[quote name="By the Beard of Stew!" post="19722345" timestamp="1395422014"]It raised suspicion, and regardless if less cops died in 2012 (its 2014 btw) there is always still the possibility of someone doing something irrational.
    Sent from my burner[/quote]

Less cops than when? It's like you make your own questions and answers in this monologue riddled with logical fallacies you call a retort. :bongin:

Shrug as to why the quotes aren't working properly...

14. saying you were dumb was a fact, too. It was more of a reply than a retort. What logical fallacies is my "monologue" riddled with? If anything, everything I said should be looked at as "common sense" when dealing with a police officer in this day and age.

Sent from my burner

15. Obviously cops need more training...Assuming that this old man does know the law and how fast the police shot at him tells me that the old man may have been asked to exit the vehicle. There is no excuse shooting an unarmed person. Nice try

16. #56 Xenzin, Mar 21, 2014
    I allowed you bow out gracefully so you could save face but it seems you are hellbent in proving your ignorance;

Main Entry: reply
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: answer
    Synonyms: acknowledgment, antiphon, back talk, comeback, counter, echo, feedback, knee-jerk reaction, lip, reaction, reciprocation, rejoinder, respond, response, retaliation, retort[\\b], return, riposte, sass, snappy comeback, vibes, wisecrack

Are you done making a fool of yourself? And\\or wasting my time with your feeble conjecture?

17. copy and paste really comes in handy

Sent from my burner

I was gonna post the exact same thing..seems like I'm hearing 2 or 3 stories like this everyday

19. So does the ignore feature, the posts I read become less and less asinine everytime I use it.
    :bongin:

20. #60 Malt-Liquor-Kitty, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    I really don't understand how someone can justify the shooting of this elderly man just because he exited the vehicle and grabbed a cane during a traffic stop. Maybe if it was reported that the man was firing a rifle from the car and just ended a car chase but not for a simple traffic stop.  But the main fact is that a man lost his life because of another person and that kind of situation should not have ended the way it  had.

Cops these days seem so scared of the civilians that they are supposed to be protecting and serving. And yet all I hear about is civilian deaths at the hands of Police Officers. Last time I heard about a officer dying was because of a training accident and that was because of another Officer discharging his weapon by accident. And this fear mentality seems even weirder when you read about Police statistics that show Officer deaths are at a six decade low. 

It might just be this over all fear mongering that the media bathes us in or maybe some other internal factor that makes what seems to be most officers feel the need to discharge their weapon before any other action but in the end fear begets fear and fear always leads to violence in the end. Which I'm sure no one wants.