Police stop 70-year-old man for expired tags, shoot him for holding a cane

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Earth Ling, Mar 19, 2014.

1. What if this senior hasn't been stopped in many many years and did't quite know how to act? (this "unsaid protocol" mentioned earlier)
    What if a cop goes to this old guys church, seems like a nice guy at church, and this old guy felt comfortable around leo's because they're nice guys? And thought it would be cooperative to get out of the car to see why this nice police officer was trying to help him?
    Any senior citizen (especially 70 years old) is very likely to be a little hearing impaired. And on any combination of meds.

Do cops have any responsibility to KNOW what the fuck they're shooting at before they open fire? Or do cops just have a blank check to start pop'n caps in the general direction of things that go bump in the night? 

What happens when this cops little kid gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night? Does he start spitting lead because he was askeered that he saw something?

There ain't no way this cop could have had a big green light to start frantically spaying lead.
    The caliber of this old mans mistake is nowhere near the caliber of this cops mistake.
    As a respectful gun owner, I have a deeply embedded belief that I am responsible, and should be held accountable for my own bullets, and the NEED to KNOW what I'm shooting at.

You cannot (can not) excuse or justify this cops actions in the video simply because he is scared of his job. That's just ridiculous.

2. No he didnt make a mistake at all. No speed limit on the autobahn he broke no rules. Theres a reason you dont hang out in the fast lane on the autobahn.

I disagree with sending him to prison

3. Yeah, he did. You may not come closer to the up front vehicle than the appropriate safety distance for the speed, roughly half the speed which would be 90 yards. Anything less is a ticket, really close 10 yards or so will result in loosing your license (endangerment).

So as I said. She made the first mistake, he the second. Both are at fault, but different degrees IMHO.

4. Isn't going 200mph driving recklessly? It's a mistake to drive recklessly.  Going that fast leaves no room for mistakes, yours or others.  Had he been going 120 there would be no accident.  He was 50% at fault.

5. The way he approached and the length at which he stayed behind the front vehicle was reckless. Driving 200mph, isn't reckless if the space allows it. German DMV also makes sure that the brakes are at least somewhere near your engine power afaik. It was a new CL500 btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_on_the_Bundesautobahn_5

He are the facts, you can discard that the guy who was trialled might not have been the actual guy driving the Benz, we are only talking about the accident itself, right.

6. Well no its not reckless because according to traffic laws there he was able to expect that lane to be clear.

Also its pretty sketchy to hold him accountable for a woman panicking and losing control IMO

7. The wiki page doesnt seem to say anything about the woman being in the passingg lane though...

8. You guys like to argue so much you should get married....saves a lot of typing... :laughing:

9. #229 Tomason, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    Yeah, but she was. She passed others just before. Didn't switch lanes when she could and then the benzer came flying. There was a very long documentary on the guy, the mistakes in the trial and the way the yellow press stamped him as killer / hogging his house, long before he was sentenced. Usually the public doesn't get to know who offenders are and where they live, unlike you see it in the us where it's normal to say Pete Johnson from this and that district of la is accused of xyz.

Fun fact about the case: the guy who was trialled had an alibi for 40 minutes prior to the crash, he would have had to travel with an average speed of 200, but people saw him cruising and being overtaken, if he was ticketed for speeding in a restricted area they lose their job. and police couldn't even master the distance in the time when they tried, plus the parts of the license plate people saw/remembered matches ALL of the Benz test drivers :laughing:

But it doesn't matter anyway... Too much off topic :(