PoiBoy's Sun & Soil Chronicles (in the Dirt Hole)

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by PoiBoy79, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Thanks a lot toots, love me a 5am preharvest flash shot

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lol, thought it was a 2am, been drinking, and now I'm gonna stalk my plants kinda pic, but that works too. :jump:
    You can almost hear the swan song...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Got a few of those too lol, but they're always shitty haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nice to see that I have some influence in the world haha. Two of my six panama x pck are purple for sure. The very purple phenos show purple early. You can tell by week 2 flower. Hoping one of the two have pink pistils too. I've really been enjoying pheno hunting @Chillindylan style.

I'm really in love with this golden tiger. I'd say the potency is quite high. Probably quite comparable to zamaldelica in strength. Though, I need to try a few zamaldelicas to confirm. I think they are next in the pecking order. I was going to do thai chi next, but I think she will have to wait a couple rounds.

Here's some week 11 Golden tiger pics to help you decide for next season lol. Last one is a popcorn bud I broke off on accident. I'm going to switch to that other timer that @SitnSpin uses to improve my chances of keeping this phenotype. I had one cloned, but it died :( 20200612_113150.jpg 20200612_113133.jpg 20200611_011416.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Those tigers are looking good! What's the smells and flavors you get from GT? What's the high like? Need a full report stat lol
    Save her bro!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Saturday 6/13

Went on a hike yesterday and harvested a bunch of Giant Reed (Arundo Donax) to use for stakes.
    I topped the girls again, cut off the lower branches and cleared up the middles. A couple plants didn't like it when I shoved the stakes in, started limping a little.

Zam
    20200613_121419.jpg

Lilly
    20200613_121414.jpg

Romulan - I started another seed of this to see if it outgrows this runt. I had another seedling even smaller than this one. Curious if all those S1 seeds will sprout runts. It is the runtiest plant ever. 20200613_121427.jpg

Super Silver Haze
    20200613_121425.jpg

Y Griega - liking its structure a lot. Tough plant, handles everything no prob. Got blown over by a gust of wind a week or two ago and some roots were exposed, but I staked it up and it was like nothing happened.
    20200613_121438.jpg

Blotto OGK - this one is hard to make bush out. She wants to grow straight up
    20200613_121444.jpg
    May your gardens charge full steam ahead friends! Irie vibes

• Like Like x 10
  7. It has a sweet taste, sweet thai, herbal sweet weed taste . It is very sticky, highly resinous. The high is intense giggly soaring sativa rocket fuel. Electric, high energy bud, you want to go do things and enjoy life with. Highly motivational good feeling bud. I would highly recommend a good pheno of it. Great for day time activities. I'll try to save her. Took like 10 cuts. Oh man would I love to see her outside. She's a straight up beast. Fuckin ridiculus flower to leaf ratio. She's going to be the easiest to trim ever.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. You have got me excited. I have a golden tiger crossed to Jack Herer running outside this year.

• Like Like x 5
  9. #489 PoiBoy79, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Feel like sharing some recipes!

This soil recipe gives you a well-draining mix perfect for container gardening, and is easily customized. It's based on amendments per gallon, making it easy to mix small amounts for indoor soil growers.

Here's a base recipe using volume:
    5 parts CSPM or 50%
    3 parts perlite or 30%
    2 parts compost/vermicompost or 20%

I eyeball these measurements with a 5 gallon bucket.

Fertilizer:
    Add 1/4 C. dry meal fertilizer per gallon (Kelp, alfalfa, neem, chicken manure pellets, etc)

Lime and minerals per gallon of base mix:
    1 Tbsp calcium carbonate (gardening lime, ag lime, oyster shell) or dolomite lime
    1 Tbsp rock dust
    1 Tbsp Gypsum
    1 Tbsp greensand (Optional)

Leave out the fertilizer, rock dust, and greensand and you'll have a fine seedling mix.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. #490 PoiBoy79, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Topdressing dry meals in a organic soil grow is the ultimate in kick-back feeding for plants. If you build your own soil mixes from scratch, you're gonna have a lot of leftover ammendments. Want to make a custom mix using a multitude of dry meals like: alfalfa, kelp, neem, fish bone, chicken manure pellets, guano, etc?
    Here's how I make my own fertilizer mixes, and I'll show you how I manipulate those NPK values.
    You might not care about NPK, but using the same ingredients you're already using in your grow but tweaked for nutrient ratio isn't going to hurt, is it? Cycling additions is always a good idea, and switching topdressing amendments through the season will do just that.

Equipment:
    All you'll need is a variety of meals, some measuring cups, and a kitchen scale. I used some typical meals used in organic gardening.

- Quick explanation:
    NPK values are based on % of mass. Most soil recipes are based on measurements of volume (cu.ft, gallons). I took my unit of measurement (1Cup), which is a measure of volume, and weighed 1Cup of each of my meals to get the mass (weight).

Approx. weights of 1 Cup of meal/NPK values:
    Alfalfa - (5oz) 2.5 - 0.5 - 2.5
    Kelp - (7.5oz) 1 - 0.1 - 2
    Crab - (7oz) 4 - 3 - 0
    Neem - (6.5oz) 6 - 1 - 2
    Fish Bone - (8oz) 3 - 16 - 0

Now multiply each value in a given NPK by the weight in ounces.
    Ex. - Alfalfa weighs 5oz in a cup. N 2.5 x 5 = (12.5 ) P 0.5 x 5 = (2.5) K 2.5 x 5 = (12.5)
    Do that for each meal.
    Now add all the N values together. Then P and K.

The above values totaled:
    111 - 158.75 - 40.5
    Now add up the total amount of ounces:
    5 + 7.5 + 7+ 6.5 + 8 = 34oz
    Divide each NPK value by 34:

= 3.26 - 4.67 - 1.2
    N P K
    I'll use that for VEG.

For BLOOM I'll soften the nitrogen and even up the P and K numbers while adding sulfur and magnesium. I chose to use Langbeinite 0 - 0 - 22 aka sul-po-mag. I'll take 1 Cup of the above fert mix and add 1/3 Cup of Langbeinite.

So as before I'll weigh the 1/3 Cup of Langbeinite = 5.3oz

Follow all the steps before and multiply the NPK values by oz then add all the values together and we arrive at:
    111 - 158.75 - 157.1 ÷ total oz (39.3)
    =
    2.8 - 4.03 - 3.99
    N P K

You can see how different inputs will have an affect on the final NPK values. All you have to do is adjust the use of each ingredient. Mix the ingredients until well combined and use for your next topdress. Irie vibes gardeners

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Hummm you letting out the secret crabby patty recipe? Can you plant straight into the veg mix?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gerddamn my square thong is showing brother Sits? Lol
    All these type soil recipes are safer if you let them hang for a week or 4. But I've planted straight innit no prob...it's on the lighter side, especially if you don't put the hottest stuff in there (blood, alfalfa, and friends).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Thank you for those posts Poi, never seen NPK explained like that, very useful.

I can tell you know your chemistry, takes me back to that class!

Sometimes I thought about building out (or searching... I’m sure one already exists) an NPK calculator like that using excel.

That’s really cool you’re keeping track of things like that... fastrack to really understanding what works I imagine. I wonder what else is possible to track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Happy to hear the info is appreciated brah, got some flak a while back for posting this in the GC organics section for mentioning NPK. Kinda like someone getting mad that you posted a nutrition label for the foods they eat.
    To customize the topdress further you can use additions that break down quickly, like alfalfa, or slowly, like feather meal. Going along with that, another factor is surface area. Meals that are finely ground provide more surface area, which will help them break down quicker. This is said to stimulate bacteria. Things that are coarser in texture and take longer to breakdown are said to stimulate fungal activity.
    Looking at the NPK and % of water soluble vs water insoluble nature of the amendments will clue you as to how quickly the nutrition will be available to the plant, what % nutrition relies on breakdown through micoorganims, and how much organic matter it contributes - which tells you how much bulk it adds to the soil, eventually becoming humus.
    A spread sheet is all you my man. There is probably something out there, but if you made one in sure it'll be appreciated! I originally came up with the idea of the post because I went to a build your own fertilizer site. They let you combine different meals (even pork meal!) And then would list the NPK of the mixture. It was terribly expensive, but a cool idea anyway. Anyway, with this method you can use a calculator, and will be able to figure it ballpark. I'm not good enough at math to create a specific NPK... I'm only able to tweak it after I begin lol....so I could use your spreadsheet!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Thanks pothead! It sounded light to me too. I've tried many a mix and always had problems. I have all the supplements and a bale of promix. I'm going to try again with your method. FFOF, FFHF, Dr. Earths soil are all crap I've had some bad bags lately.

thanks, brah!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I hope this one works for you homie! I tried some Dr. Earth's in a pinch last year, and the girls didn't like much. Would like to hear any experience you have - good, bad, or ugly aww eee aw ee awwww....

• Like Like x 3
  17. ok, here is my last encounter with dr earth. I just now took this photo of my last clones. EzCloner with 1/4 strength advanced ph perfect until well rooted, a fresh bag of this complete and udder crap into solos. at least 2 weeks in that and still deficient, back on the ph perfect, now showing some green. I feel because of legalization, FF and others are putting out sub-standard mixes to spread their products into more bags. I mean a real farmer would never use this crap only the beginners and the lazy/ disabled like me. I have everything I need for a great organic mix, except bone, feather, and alfalfa. I have everything else, I mean everything, even green sand. I used to grow my room full of the frickin perfect plants on GH- Lucas formula. My hair was on fire with the Monsanto/ petroleum, connection to GH and I was convinced to drop my soil/ soilless and bubble buckets hydro and begin on a mix and water only, and my shit hasn't ever been right after that. I mean I get some good plants large and fantastic buds, but the leaves are crap. To be fair I have been battling mites, thrips, whitefly, and PM since I accepted my first clone 10 years ago. I have completely eliminated my problem for the last 4 runs, zero damage, they scope clean af. For this run, I was going to try again the bags o crap and flip back to coco flood and drain at Christmas. And to take a break during the sweltering months. I have made a blood oath with my wife no runs in the hottest months and I've broken that trust for probably 15 years. I mean I just get hash fixings and the oppressive heat is the worst to work in. I am going to try your method but in my 4x4 tent, indoors. I'm tired, I'll tell you more another day. I'm spent and on empty, and I must trim up these 9 plants.

clones.jpg earths.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Hmm sounds easy in theory to create that spreadsheet... maybe one day I can nerd out on it and see what I can do. In my experience usually mo betta to do a quick calculation by hand, unless we'd be building custom soils everyday, but maybe there's something there, I'll play around with the idea :vaping:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Whoa sits thats cool you got all the ingredients to give this mix a shot. Personally I do better with the lighter mixes. I topddess throughout the grow. I'm keeping my eye on this grow, the thick ass layer of mulch is changing the game I think. Lots of worm castings under the mulch.
    Damn, look at all the wood chips in that mix! That's the exact shit I used, and the plants started showing issues, except I transplanted them into the big pots early.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. #500 PoiBoy79, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Wednesday 6.24

Got a little seedling of the Romulan I have waiting to go in the ground, I'm gonna laugh out tears if she outgrows her runt sister. BTW, this is my first try at growing in the ground. I made soil mix and dumped it in the hole. Then I mulched heavy. Dont think this plant needed much, so I only filled in about 25 gallons.
    On edge a little because now I have 7 plants instead of the 6 allowed....haha I'm such a goody nowadays
    20200624_155300.jpg
    20200624_155254.jpg
    Romulan
    20200624_155311.jpg
    Super Silver Haze
    20200624_155409.jpg
    Y Griega
    20200624_155428.jpg
    Blotto OGK
    20200624_155526.jpg
    Had to run before I got shots of the Zam and the Lilly, but they're doing good, and still the two biggest plants. Both are throwing lots of side branches, really spreading out. Gonna have to start tying and training some branches.
    Irie vibes farmers!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1