Please help with talking to doctor

Discussion in 'General' started by all day, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hey GC, I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help answer. First off, I have a severe, severe sleeping disorder which I have self-diagnosed as "delayed sleep phase syndrome" through extensive research on the internet. It's been really affecting me bad lately, I've gone three nights this week without sleep, and it is horribly affecting my performance at work and school. I've decided enough is enough, and I'm going to the doctor. I'm going to tell him what I just told you, but the part I'm skeptical about is if I should tell him that the only time I can ever fall asleep at a reasonable time is when I smoke marijuana. Can he do anything if I tell him this information? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get better but I don't want there to be any legal reprocussions from me telling him I smoke weed. Should I leave that part out? Would it help him possibly prescribe me a sleeping aid, or would it deter him from doing so? Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. #2 Diceman, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
    I wouldn't mention it. It can only turn out good if he's FOR marijuana...and there's just no way of knowing. If he isn't a fan of marijuana then he's gonna see it as only a dependency.

I just told my doc that I was havin problems sleeping, when he asked if I was on ANY other medication I said no...nothing other then the occasional advil.

Now I get 60 1mg xanax a month. It's enough to put me to sleep and 1 to take if I wake up. (usually doesn't work out like that since my sleep issues aren't bad or nothin)

I just take mine for the hell of it most of the time, but they do work very very well for sleep.

He gave me a choice of ambien, lunesta, or xanax....obviously xanax was the stronger so I skipped the other 2.

You won't get in any legal trouble for mentioning that you smoke weed...but it will effect his choice on what to give you. Could be for the better but it's just not worth the risk. Keep the secret to yourself :smoke:

3. Thanks man, that helps a lot.

4. When I went to the doctor for my insomnia he gave me rozerem and said ambien was the only other choice unless I went to a psychiatrist. The rozerem didn't work, and ambien had already failed in the past. I asked for a higher dosage and again he said being a doctor he can't diagnose psychological problems and recommended me a psychiatrist, but it wasn't covered my our insurance, so I never went. I'm in the same boat as you. I'll go days before my body just can't take it and I crash. Weed definitely helps, but even while smoking, I still end up staying up for at least a day at a time before sleeping. So if you can get to a psychiatrist, you might be able to get some decent sleeping pills or an anti-anxiety pill like xanex or seroquel. Good look with the insomnia man.

5. He'll likely ask you if you do any recreational drugs. When he does, tell him you toke and you find that it helps. Don't be insistent, but let him know it works. Let him bring up drug use though! Also, my doc prescribed me Anafranil (Clomipramine) and I can't take it:( It just makes me throw up and stay up all night shaking and feeling like shit. Sorry about getting off topic, just thought you should know what he might give you.

6. never tell a doctor you "self diagnosed" yourself. you are not a doctor, or anything.
    just tell him your symptoms. let the doctors come to a conclusion.

7. If you want xanax then don't be afraid to say so. The doctor wants your money..if you make it clear your not happy with the visit then he's more inclined to make sure you are.

My doctor likes the $75 a month...so he gives me what I want. Don't settle for some crap that we both know doesn't work (like shit no one has ever heard of before)

If you want xanax..say so and stay firm. If he says no then say "Ok well thx anyway I'll just go elsewhere"

Remember..your the one paying for this..not him. Stick to walk in clinics. I got 2 docs at this 1 clinic..they both just sign their name and get payed for it.

8. im with diceman as well,

9. Thanks everyone. To the guy who said the thing about me self-diagnosing myself, I wouldn't say it in such plain terms, I'll tell him I did some research and my symptoms are very close to DSPS, but I'm not 100% on it.

Sadly though, I just found out my doctor of 17 years just retired, so I no longer have that "comfort" factor with him. I have no idea who the new guy will be, hopefully he won't just write me off right off the bat of having drug-seeking behavior, because in the past, I've actually declined scripts quite a few times.

I feel that my insomnia is directly related to stress and anxiety, it started getting bad last year when my gf of 3 years left me. I feel that the best cure would be to just find happiness again (not depressed, by the way), but I'm sure a script will help for now, whether it be something like Xanax or Ambien.

Again, thanks everyone.

10. #10 Diceman, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009

When you go in..dress and act straight. Wear like blue jeans and a nice/plain t-shirt.

brush your hair/teeth, be shaved/well groomed. Look as little like someone who would be trying to get drugs for recreational use as you can.

Not sure how you dress but a lot of people will go in lookin like some punk off the streets...the doctors always fear that person will abuse the drugs and it will fall back on the doctor for prescribing them. Don't look like a liability.

My oxy's just got here so I'ma rail some of them then check back :smoke:

Also mention that it effects your work. Having trouble focusing/remembering basic things throughout the day.

11. Yeah I'll definitely do that. I've always been pretty shy and not to open about asking for prescriptions, I don't know, that's just how I am. And truely, honestly, I don't want this script to use recreationally, I need my condition to get better.

Thanks again for the advice.

12. I have the same sleep disorder, thus why I spend my midnight hours on the city. I've been through so many sleep aids, and have yet to find one that works for more than a few days or so.
    Definitely don't mention any recreational drug use. As soon as my doctor learned that I had a past of drug abuse, he is very leery of giving me any heavy-duty sedatives (it takes 40mg of Ambien IR or about 120mg of Temazepam to knock me out), and just prescribes my small doses of anything that could be abused.
    Like diceman said, make sure you don't look like someone who uses drugs recreationally, act mature, and I would suggest not telling the doctor your "self-diagnosis." It would probably be more beneficial just to tell him your symptoms in complete detail, and let him figure out your diagnosis and treatment.

13. Thanks.

It's getting pretty serious, I haven't slept since Thursday night, and it's now 1:35AM Sunday morning, and I'm not even tired. I haven't touched weed or anything in that span, and I know if I don't fall asleep tonight I'm going to suck at work tomorrow (working in a restaurant, 9AM, not good to use kitchen utensils or stand by a grill when you're sleep-deprived).

14. Aw I hate temazepam. I mean I like it..but it just takes so much. I had the 15mg capsules and had to take atleast 5-6 (roughly 90mg) just to feel anything. It's a really weak benzo.

My sleep issues are minor so I couldn't even guess what would actually work for yall. I just know xanax and ambien seem to be the most common that people say work.

Have you ever tried xanax bigwill? May wanna atleast look into it since you've tried ambien already.

Hope yall find somethin..sleep deprevation is a bitch.

Edit: Your sig cracked me the fuck up! I read it using 'dante's' voice from grandmas boy.

15. From someone who was diagnosed with DSPS: You don't have DSPS.
    DSPS disrupts your normal Circadian rythm. It doesn't keep you up for days on end. I often find that I will go weeks at a time where I cannot go to sleep before 3 or 4 am, but I always eventually go to sleep... just usually during the daytime hours.

Also, personally, I would take the day off. I have been several days with out sleep (unrelated to my DSPS) and trying to work on no sleep can be somewhat dangerous. Not to mention if you get caught snoozing at work haha.