Please help twisting and serrated tips curling up

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by JerseyJim23, Nov 7, 2008.

1. First off let me thank anyone for taking the time to help me out with this. This is my first grow and as such it looks like I've found a way to screw things up. I'll let my pictures hopefully do the talking(kinda crappy done with my phone). Lets start out with all the backround info
    Hydro or Soil... Soil, FFOF mixed 66/33 with Light warrior
    Type of light? 400w metal halide (the econo one swithable set-up from insidesun). Lights are hung 28 inches from sprout tops.
    "Atmosphere" Conditions Temp is between 75*- 82*F have two fans blowing, one at the light reflector and one by the door to the room to pull fresh air from the rest of the house.
    Waterings Plants in Solo cups were watered on 11/4/08 with 3 drops Superthrive and 2.5mL Liquid Karma(.1-.1-.5)per gallon, ph@ 6.7 . Sprouts in 3 gallon pots have only been given 15mL by spoon around the stem once on 11/5/08. No other waterings have been done. Germinated seeds were planted in very moist 3gallon pots/Solo cups on 10/30
    PH Range Water is from the tap ph adjusted to 6.7 after anything is added. Runoff was tested @ 6.5
    Nutrients/Supplements Only additives were Superthrive 3 drops and Liquid Karma 3mL in the gallon of water used to water.
    Pictures if possible! See pics
    Design and Dates Room is about 15' by 20' in the attic. Half the attic is a finished master bedroom the grow room is an additional partially finished room with no carpet but has sheet rocked and primer white walls, no windows, has electricity already, and is only accesible through the master closet. This room is also used to house the A/C unit for central A/C.
    Other All the plants broke the soil on 11/1/08

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. I think the pots need more water, are them roots growing into dry spots...

I'd water till some came out the bottom of the cups, looks like good aerated soil; you shouldn't be able to overwater that easy.

Let's see what others say ?

3. OK, i thought the pots might not drain all the way through with seeldings because the small roots won't take up all the water from the initial soaking i gave them when i planted the germinated seed. The cups were watered slowly until water driped from all sides of the bottom. The curling and twising is happening on the plants in the cups and on one of the plants in the big pots. Do you think this could possibly be from shock because they were switched from cfl to the metal halide light yesterday? Well thanks alot for the response will give the pots a nice slow watering tonight. Do you think i should continue watering with the superthive/LK water or just do plain tap thats ph adjusted?

Thanks again.

4. Alright, well I watered the two in the 3 gallon pots with ph adjusted water. I also raised the light up to 32 inches above the plant tops, and that brought the temps down to a steady 77*. Everything looks about the same. This is very confusing because the plants still look very lively and green not yellow or burnt at all. Any suggestions would be great, the anxiety is killing me.

Thanks

5. 27 veiws and only 1 response. Maybe I'm just tripping out, but it just seems funny that after the lights are switched the leaves start turning up. Well I'm kinda drunk and was able to pick up some haze, so looks like I'll just check em in the morning. I'll post more pics tomrrow.

Thanks

6. any1? The plants still seem to be growing good with new growth and a nice green color, but the leaves are still twisting. Could this be casued by a fan thats blowing on the 400w light. Any help or opinions on this would be great. Thanks.

7. twisting of the leaves is most likely a pH issue.

You can buy pH up/down or use lime juice to lower.

-C

8. I currently use ph down to adjust the water to 6.7. When i checked the runoff it was 6.48, do these numbers sound good to you? I thought this was about where it should be.

9. That's just about SPOT ON.. give it a few days and see how it goes.

10. OK, thanks for the confirmation on that. At least I know somethings right. I'll keep you guys updated, Thanks for all the responses.

11. Dont hijack threads penguin, and do not post threads to links to other threads. This is considered double posting.

Hope your plants are looking up OP!

12. i wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I just wanted to let him see my pics and it was the fastest way. next time i'll upload the pics in my reply.

13. Your missing the point, create your own threads for questions, and you already had one going. Thats what bumps are for.

OP - Forgot to add, only 1 drop per gallon of superthrive!

14. no i get the point, the pics weren't necessary i guess, but if my problem IS the same thing, it's not swtiching to the metal haloid that's causing it cause i'm using cfl's

15. The leaves will also start to curl in a low humidity environment because they are transpiring too fast, check the humidity levels, make sure they are over 50 for veg phase

16. hey jerseyjim, my plants had the same symptoms and when a few storms came through and the humidity rose to around 55-60 as opposed to the usual 35-40, that curling and twisting stopped, so it's a good bet herbalremedies is right

17. That is for sesitive plants like orchids.:) Use the full 1mL per gallon (its 1/4 tsp) other than that dont worry to much the plants are very hardy:)

18. Wow, i guess its the humidity issue. My RH is running about 40-45%. Will this affect the plants badly? They're still growing pretty quick. I'll try to take a couple new picks tomorrow after I water them. Also are there any cheap and easy ways to bring the humidity up. Again thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions

19. hard to tell from the pics but they dont look too bad at all - I wouldnt panic too much

your RH is fine by the way

maybe back off the nutes a touch as it looks like a little bit of nute burn on the tips of one plant - they really dont need much food at this stage ;)

20. Ok, here are some updated pics(day 18 from seed) . Two of the plants are still suffering from the serrated tips curling up, and 1 just looks real shitty and wrinkly. The weird thing is aside from these cosmetic deformities all the plants are growing wide and tall at what seems to be a fairly fast rate.
    The plants average between 5-6.5 inches tall and between 6 and 10.5 inches wide. They look alittle droopy because i just watered them. Well heres the pics any opinions are welcome.
    Thanks.

Attached Files: