Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Please Help ! Trying to comb through threads

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Deleted member 616232, Nov 27, 2017.

1. I'm trying to make oil to put in brownies or whatever. I was given some ground up weed so I thought it would be a good time to do this.
    I've been trying to comb through the threads to find all the steps for the easy way to do this.

I've got the weed in the oven at 240 for 40 min. I want to add soy lecithin but I can't find how much. I was going to put that in after it's decarbed, then put 1 cup coconut oil in the crock pot with the decarbed weed and lecithin on low and stir occasionally.

Am I on the right track here?

2. @Oregondaisy
    My usual mix is
    5 grams decarbed weed-hash-BHO-AVB
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin (any kind)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat and it's done.
    Makes about 30 (0) sized caps-doses or add the finished oil to more oil and make brownies-cookies-pasta-anything
    Use as little oil as possible to make mud with
    Coconut oil in larger amounts can act as a laxative so I make my oil as strong as possible the first time round.
    Lecithin in the range of about 1/6th by volume seems to be the sweet spot. More doesn't hurt but less is noticeable by reduced strength.
    Toaster Oven and a tiny stainless steel cat food dish is what I eventually settled on as my primary tools for making canna oil. I cracked a porcelain dish and spilled 15 grams of hot hash oil in the oven. Not a good day at all.
    [​IMG]
    Crock pots need to be full to work properly and can overheat causing damage to the unit or even fire when run with a partial load.
    For really potent oil and small batches the metal dish really was the last part of the puzzle. I can jump from oven to freezer and back again with no worries about cracked or shattered glassware from thermal shock.
    BNW

3. How much flower you have?

4. Here's the simplest thing you can do after decarb.
    (1) Grind the herb to powder
    (2) Add to the oil of any recipe, and bake as little as possible. I use better crocker muffin mix put into mini-muffin cups and bake for 10 min. Most baked goods already contain lecithin or emulsifiers, so lecithin isn't needed here, but won't hurt anythng.
    This is my favorite thing, and about as potent as anything that can be made from the same amount of original herb.
    There will be slight herb taste, but avoiding it means much more effort, or loss of potency.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. #5 Deleted member 616232, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
    7 grams about to come out of the oven decarbed 40 min at 240. Some places kept saying 220 but BrassNWood and PSam always say 40 min at 240

My stupid oven isn't accurate but I had a thermometer in there. Part of the time the oven went to 250.
    Then I didn't hear the timer go off so it was in about 5 min longer. I hope these things don't mess it up.

I mixed it with the lecithin and some coconut oil and put it in the freezer.

6. I start with 1 oz of flower. I do 40 mins at 240° also. I watch my oven temp with a digital thermometer for grilling and baking. On a cookie sheet lined with foil and covered with foil. Take out of oven when times up and let sit covered for 15 mins. Uncover and spray with everclear or equivalent, let sit for 15 mins. Add it to 5 oz of coconut oil in a Crock-Pot. I also let it go for 24 hours. Also checking temp with same thermometer. Keeping it around 180°. Makes about 100 (00) capsules. Each capsule is around 25mg each if the starting material is 10%.

7. Easier way to do it. Decarb your weed then throw it along with the oil inside a magic butter and turn it on. Works like a charm every time. They're probably even on sale on cyber monday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, Magical Butter Machine does this well, especially if you don't strain, which produces potent sludge that contains about half the medicine.
    But making any oil first is unnecessary, and just baking with whole decarbed herb will equal making unstrained oil first.
    I own 2 MBMs, have made much unstrained oil in them, along with many other oil recipes, but prefer cooking with decarbed herb because it's easier, and just as potent.

9. #9 Deleted member 616232, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
    @BrassNwood, do you strain it at all? There is a lot of plant material left in the container after bringing it to temp after coming out of the freezer. I put cheese cloth over a mason jar and used the oil that came through into the jar.

10. @Oregondaisy
    For myself I use kief-hash exclusively and don't strain. I just stir a whole lot and evenly distribute the hash bits among the caps.

When I make a much weaker oil for my wife or her friends I use decarbed weed and do strain. Once the weed-oil mix has been heated the first time most of the cannabinoids have been transferred to the oil and what little remains in the strained out bits is not worth messing with IMO.
    BNW

11. It all depends on what level of crunchy bits you can tolerate in your oil. No real wrong way to go at this, some are just stronger or cleaner end product.
    BK likes his decarbed weed raw and I prefer mine well soaked in oil done cap style. Both will kick ass. I use cannabis oil as pain relief from my triple rounds of colon surgeries and seem to do best with a high level of coconut oil in my system.
    BNW

12. I actually don't like raw herb either.
    When put into capsules plain, with only a bit of oil, the oil won't properly soften the herb, and the herb won't be well digested. In that case some additional heating and lecithin will help a lot to soften and integrate herb into the small amount of oil.
    But several weeks of soaking time will accomplish the same thing, not that it's recommended.

I inadvertently performed this experiment of mixing plain powdered decarbed herb with plain avocado oil, and putting into capsules, which I use mainly for sleep. The results were not good, with a strong jittery initial high, followed by poor sleep. I set the pills aside and forgot about them for about a month. After that month the same pills worked great for both me and my wife. Each pill was about half full of herb, and half oil.

On the other hand, when finely ground decarbed herb is well mixed into a much larger volume of something oily, lecithin and additional heat are unnecessary. In this case, suspended (not clumped into a pill) tiny herb powder particles are very easily and quickly softened up by surrounding oil, so that the herb can be well digested. This is easily checked by mixing a tiny amount of decarbed herb powder into nut butter or nutella.

Using decarbed herb powder greatly broadens edible horizons, while simplifying everything.
    But to make capsules, your method and unstrained MBM oils made with lecithin and heating work best, with the amount of post-decarb heating affecting the final properties a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. @BrassNwood
    Well I must have done it wrong but we still got HAF. Very happy with the results. I decarbed the weed, then put the oil and lecithin in mixed well and stuck it in the freezer. I didn't read it right where I was supposed to put the oil in with the weed while decarbing.

As soon as as it was frozen we stuck it back in the oven til it was all melted. I did scoop up some of the sludge from the bottom cause even after stirring well,there was still sludge that I couldn't mix in. I scooped some of that up and the rest was oil through the cheese cloth. I used a regular brownie mix and they were delicious. We each aet 2 1/2 regular size brownies.

We stayed very stoned for awhile and giggled like we had smoked pot for the first time. Everything was hilarious. We finally went to bed at midnight and just got up and freaked when we saw it was 12:30 pm.

Love your method! It's so easy. That oil could go on anything so now i know what I'll do with some of my trim.

• Winner Winner x 1