Please help (pics included)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ggg1, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Well I've did alot of searching trying to figure out what could be wrong with one of my plants. I came across so many different things that could be wrong, so I figured I'd ask here.

In the pics, you will see 2 plants. The left plant is a week or so older than the plant on the right. The right plant is the one I'm having the problem with. At first I noticed that the lower leaves have some small brown spots. Now my camera won't zoom in close enough to get a clear pic, so I will try to describe the spots as best as I can. At first, they look a lot like dried up dirt on the leaves. They very small bumps and look brown and rusty. The leaves are very dry and crispy. I am only seeing this problem on the very bottom leaves. New growth is great, very green. I also am starting to notice more rusty/browish spots on more leaves. They seem to start in random places on the leaves. Not just at the tips or sides.

I just transplanted them into the 3 gallon pots about a week ago. I then fed the plant on the right, a half dose of Mexican bat guano and a couple drops of Superthrive per gallon of distilled water. It responded very well. Leaves perked up and new growth was fast. I have always used the same distilled water since they were babies. Once I noticed the spots on the bottom leaves, of the right plant, I decided to cut the nutes and just give her plain distilled water again, which I did. She responded very well.

I hope this is clear enough. In one of the pics, I made some arrows where the leaves are with the brown/rust spots. I also included pics of a soil test I did.

Again, I'm sorry I cannot provide better pics. My camera is horrible.
    Any suggestions would be great. I appreciate your help guys!

Attached Files:

2. It looks like A( a little bit of under watering or B) too much nutes which can cause an outbreak of dry spots.

I think its underwatering though because usually the fan leaves are the first sign of drying because they need the most water than anywhere else on the plant.

I would hold off on the nutes for a couple days, you CANT go wrong with just using water, i cant say that enough to people

good luck buddy

PS: If your soil is pretty moist already, than its not underwatering. So if its not underwatering, than just hold off on the nutes for a tad untill it cleans itself out.

3. YM is right. Just back off the nutes. what soil are you using?

4. Maybe you should start fimming. I believe Dier Wolf would say something to the affect of "cut off at least half of the leaves so you can get light to other areas". I would try giving it a little hair cut. From what i've seen here at GC it promotes growth and allows light to penetrate areas that would normally not get as much light. Lookup Rola's grow journal, Tons of great info

5. Unfortunately, ROLA's plant died. Not from the hair cut, but it still might not be the best example. Try this thread instead (It's my grow journal, but my plants are still alive and flourishing.):

http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?t=76101&page=7

There is a section about LST on that page, and all the way at the bottom is a post called "This better work Dier!!!" that shows exactly how I trimmed my plants and how they magically came back fuller than ever.

6. Look up calcium deficeincy in the sticky and see if the brown spots look like yours as it is hard to see your spots. But I would think your leaves would be more yellow if that was the case. Worth a shot checking it out tho. The most common cause of leaf problems is overwatering or poor drainage followed by being root bound in too small sized pots.

7. Dude . . . get a HPS lamp.

8. FIMing will not solve this problem. ggg1 I can not read what your picture of your soil test says. What is the PH of the soil? Slight under watering of the plants will not really cause brown spots. I just went out of town and my plants were totally wilted from under watering. Only the most severely depleted leaves at the bottom started to turn brown and died but, when I watered the plant perked back up. Also if you can take a picture of the plants with the grow lights turned OFF. I think that would help us better see what these spots look like.