Please HELP...My plants keep dying

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Strongbox47, Oct 5, 2014.

1. I'm a newbie and I've already killed about 10 plants.  Some died because I unwittingly bought soil with nutes.  A few were because I added nutes too early.  I also over-watered them at first and probably had ph problems.  Each time, somewhere between week 1 and 3, they would start to get dark spots on the tips or brown spots in the center of the leaves, then the growth would slow to a near-stop.

So I decided I would get serious about it.  I bought the safest soil I could find( NPK 2/4/1, PH 6.3) mixed lots of perlite in.  I also got a ph meter and laboratory-grade filtered water.  I monitored the ph of my babies very closely, didn't over-water, no nutes.  
    After all this, I am starting to see the same discolorations on my 2 newest seedlings.

Does anyone have ANY idea what's going on????  I've already spent quite a bit of money on this and I don't like the thought of just giving up with nothing to show for all my work.

2. did you add perlite or a like substance for drainage?

could be lack of O2

3. #3 rain dancer, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Brown spots in center of leaf are indicative of fungus gnats.

Move the wet soil with Your finger, move the plant to sunlight and watch closely. Do not move.

You will see nearly microscopic movement of a clear larvae with a black head, if you have them. The adults are like micrscopic house flies, the size of a ballpoint pen head.

4. Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

5. #5 Strongbox47, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    My current pots are about 30% perlite, and there are larger perlite stones at the bottom of the pot to ensure proper drainage.  Shouldn't have any problems there.

I'll inspect the plants later today for fungus gnats.  I think there is a good possibility some have been sneaking their way in via the soil I bought earlier.
    If I do see them, what are some ways to get rid of them??  A natural way would be better because I don't live in a country with easy access to the pesticides you guys use in the US/UK..

Thanks again guys!

6. I just looked at some of my older plants as I watered them.  I saw a small black insect crawling around.  I haven't seen any flying though.