PLEASE HELP! My plant stopped growing!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by kronik1, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hi all, this is my first grow so as to be expected, I've run into problems....

First, here's my info:

Strain: Dutch Passion Feminized Durban Poison
    Light: 400w Ceramic Metal Halide (currently 18" from top)
    Nutes: Lucas Formula (started off at 0-5-10, now at 0-8-16)
    Medium: Rockwool

At first my lady was growing like mad but now I have not seen any new growth in over 1 week. I've been experiencing heat issues from the beginning and that is why I have the light at 18" from the top... temps now stay below 80... I tried moving the light closer slowly, day by day, but at 12" from the top I could not get the temps below 85!! I had no choice but to move the light back up.

I am sure the plant has suffered some heat damage... but if you look at my pictures, the top of the plant seems healthy but the bottom leaves look like crap.... is the yellowing due to over-fertilizing? I am using the Lucas Formula (started at 0-5-10, now at 0-8-16).

The top of the plant has what looks like the beginning of some new leaves but it has been like that for over 1 week and nothing is happening.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kronik1

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
  2. from what i have heard and read that happens sometimes. The very bottom leaves will die and it has nothin to do with the health of the plant. it sometimes has to do with the leaves above it blocking the lower leaves from getting enough light, but you might want to put some nitrogen in its diet to help promote its growth that is probably the problem since the rockwool has no nutritional value(nitrogen is what promotes leaf production). also 85 is way too hot, the temperature needs to be more like 70 so its okay to raise the light higher. ur plant looks pretty stocky and the plants stem looks like it is pretty thick so it wont hurt to raise the light. and you might want to try a fan to help control the temp.

3. Heat wouldn't do that, my room gets to 100 and they grow fine..
    If your plant is not growing anymore, then it is probably in shock and most likely it is caused by the fertz you are using.
    You should be using a fert that is high on Nitrogen and low on the P and K, from what I see the one you have has none, during the vegetative state they need a higher N rating, that might be the reason for the yellow leaves...
    Flush and use only water for 1 week to see if she starts growing again, you can also add some worm casting, it won't hurt it.

4. just use soil lol

5. calm down my firend your plant will be just fine. now the im currently using the lucas form and it has just fine amounts of nitrogen for your planties. now what is your res temp and what are you using as airation to your roots.(thats a starter for ya is your roots look brown and/or smell horrible(teust me you'll know) then its root rot which you can still save her if its not too bad) but anyway start from bottom up if your plant is still spitting out new spankin white roots give her some time she'll kick back more than likely. if she's not well then it could be your res temps. your room temps are high but no damage( PLANTS WILL DIE AT 92+ ON AVERAGE) but 85 will do ive grown fine at 85. if shes not spitting out roots try doing a flush and just run her on PH'd water for a while because if she's been stressed ive seen growth stop all together for about 1-2 wks.

bottom line check roots, check res temps, if root growth has stopped flush for 2 wks then start nutes at half strength, ill check back and stay calm there are plenty of people to help you out on GC;)

6. i can see new growth on the top i think you mean slow growth not stopeed that plants not dead beatifullness natures finest

7. plant that b*tch in some soil!! :p your plant needs nitrogen while it's growing. very important. in fact, lack of nitrogen and too much potassium can lean a plant to turn male (no clue how that works with feminized seeds - hermie?).

in nature things grow without our help all the time. imho, it's much easier to kill a plant from doing too much rather than sticking it in some potting soil, giving it light and water, and letting it do it's thing. give it balance and it will love you (it's not called 'weed' because it needs super perfect care).

:)

8. Hi all, first a big thanks for the replies - they are greatly appreciated!!

Let me provide some more background info which may help diagnose the problem...I apologize for the length - I just don't want to miss anything that might help provide a clue.

Ok, I started with 5 sprouts and only 1 survived - I used a humidity dome during germination and when they sprouted, I turned on a T5 light which was right over the humidity dome (since I read that T5s need to be only a few inches from the tops). Big mistake - I woke up the next morning and all my sprouts were fried (temps hit 92f). They were all wilted and the stems were dark purple (I assumed this meant heat stress).

I thought they were all dead so I turned off the light and thought I'd just try again with a new batch of seeds. After about 3 days, I looked in my closet and lo and behold one sprout had come back to life (now standing upright and the purple was disappearing from the stem). I had used grodan starter plugs and the taproot was sticking out the bottom so I quickly soaked a 4x4x4 rockwool cube in 5.5 ph water overnight and then inserted the starter cube. I also abandoned the T5 for my 400w CMH (which I started at 18" from the top which I read was a good distance).

I was worried the couple of days without light might have done some damage but the plant took off like mad! It was practically growing by the hour!

I waited 3 days before watering. I have an ebb and flow system but I don't want to put the single cube in it yet as I am waiting on some more seeds. I figured I would manually water this one until my soon to be other plants got going.

I wait until the cube starts to dry out a little (around 3 days) then I dunk the cube in a resevoir for around 10 seconds or so which seems to thoroughly drench the cube. I figured this is the same way the ebb and flow system would water it (as the bottom of the cube would sit in the flooded tray).

Ok, so that's the story... now to address some of the very good theories that have been presented....

PH Problems - I don't think so - for the first week I used PH 5.5 water, then the second week I used the weaker Lucas formual 0-5-10 which brought the PH down to about 5.9 by itself, and now I am using the full 0-8-10 formula which brings the PH down right to 5.5 by itself!! I am using a good, calibrated HANNA PH meter.

Root Bound - I chose the 4x4x4 cube because my ebb and flow system can fit 8 5.5" cubes (too tight for the hugo blocks so I went with the next biggest). The plant can't be root bound yet as the roots have not even penetrated the cube.

Over/Under fertilizing - I chose the Lucas formula because it is supposed to be simple. He is very adamant about NOT adding anything else to the mix. Tons of growers report success with his formula so I don't see how that could be the problem unless something is getting locked out. My TDS is at 1100ppm, .5 conversion scale.

Over/Under watering - I admit, I am pretty lost here.... I wait til the cube starts to dry out a little before watering, but then I think to myself - all the instructions I have read regarding ebb and flow watering schedules say to water for around 15 min every 2-4 hours... that seems like a hell of a lot!! That would mean the cube would always be soaked!

Again, all feedback is greatly appreciated!!

9. to address your ebb and flow question- Wait until the cube is still damp, not too dry but not soaking wet, before you water it again. i water twice a day with plants 3 weeks into veg in a 3x3. but every plant drinks different amounts so just try and dial it in

10. also- im not sure why you are using the lucas formula as i thot it was configured for DWC, but i might be wrong. maybe just try and use a simple line of nutrients such as botanicare, gen hydro, or advanced nutrients. it will explain on the back of the nutrients how much to mix up for the preferred stage..
    Root bound- You are for sure not root bound.
    PPM- keep it around 900-1100 + or -in veg(strain dependant)
    PH- try and shoot for 5.8

Hope that helped! GL!