Plants tilting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Adrenalex, Apr 28, 2010.

1. #1 Adrenalex, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
    I am growing a few bag seed plants, and after a few weeks, the stems are very week, and the leaves are about an inch long. I know that is sad, but it is bag seed right? Should I start the LST now, or what should I do about it?

Edit: I should tell you about my setup, huh? I have a heavy duty, black, 27 gallon, tub that I got from Lowe's ($10, score!), I have a grow bulb I got there as well, (3 inches in diameter, I believe) and one CFL 26w. I know I need more bulbs, and I painted the inside of the tub white, white, white, and I have a 80m cpu fan blowing air onto the plants. I haven't cut any holes in the box yet, so you can imagine what it looks like. I voted for putting the box upright instead of on it's back like it's supposed to be so I could have 2 small plants/bushes in the end. The containers that hold the plants are gallon bucket and a Hawaiian Punch Bottle, hehe.

Why are they tilting even though they are so old and how do I get them to stop is my question. Thanks in advance, Adrenalex.

2. just because its bag seed does not matter, i have grown some excellent weed with bag seed.

post some pics of plant and set up and we can give you some tips.

3. Kinda hard to know alot about your plants. Pics could be nice. What i do know is that you have no light and little air. You need a fan that puts a breeze on the plants to promote a stong stalk. you also need a shit ton more light in there. If im getting this right, that "grow bulb" is junk and that single CFL is enough for a quarter of a plant. You need 4x 26 watt 6500k CFL lights per plant.

4. Well, if I had a camera, I would show you some pictures. I have the 80m fan blowing across the 2 plants I have in there. So grow light bulbs are useless? What are they useful for then? I am on craigslist daily looking for free lamps that I can disassemble but right now, my budget is super tight until Tuesday. Just checking out what I need for my plants...How big of fan, diameter wise should I obtain? Should I have the fan directly pointing at the plants? Thanks, Adrenalex.

5. as for a fan. think a standard fan like 8 or 12 inch on low setting pointed at your plant. you don't want to huff and puff and blow them over but offer a good breeze.

what are those "grow lights" for? they have a very good use to the company that makes them. higher price bulb intended to make money off people that don't have any understanding of plants and their light needs. It looks different than a standard light and cost alot more so the ignorant people think it does something. back before CFL lights, growlights were an option for some blue spectrum compared to warm colored incandescents.

for low cost lighting, use standard CFL lights 26w 6500k daylight. my sig has a link to my light rig. this is very effective and very cheap and very easy to obtain. Wally world might have "y" adaptors but I got all my gear at Lowes.

6. Ok, well I will do that then. My next question is, what does 'stretched' plants actually mean and what to do if it happens to mine?

7. Plants stretch because they are trying to get more light. If it happens to yours, the first thing to do is add more light. With CFL bulbs you want 100w actual watt's for the first plant and 50 actual w additional for each extra plant. That is MINIMUM.

The other thing, is when your plant stretches you can bury the stem to just below the first set of leaves. The stem you bury will eventually grow roots.

8. I already have my plants in 1 gallon containers. Can I dig around the plant to deepen it or is that going to put too much stress on my plant?

And how do I tell the 'actual' wattage of my CFL bulbs? BTW, they are 23 watts, not 26, my bad.

9. if they are 23 watts than that is the actual wattage...

reason why people say "actual wattage" is because these 23watt cfls are usually labeled on the front as putting out the same amount of light as 100watt other bulbs but the true wattage is 23 so you need at least 4 of them for the first plant

10. Thanks for the info, man. I am still wondering about digging around the plants and the shock. Can you please tell me if this will hurt it or are you going to make me learn from experience, heh?

11. My "Shorty" is 23 days old and about 2 inches tall and bushy...already starting to be SKUNKY...bag seed broskies its all about the care.