planting in corn fields? Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by invisablefarmer, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Hey, I am a new outdoor grower, and have been scouting some locations. I have been considering planting my cannabis amongst corn. There are large fields(several acres) around my house. The growing seasons are very similar, so I am thinking if I wait untill the corn is about 1 ft tall, then go 25-50 meters into the field and turn the soil in a 5ft by 5ft area and then plant my crop where the corn once was. Then the corn grows to about 7-9 ft, and i could keep my plants about the same height w/o anyone being able to see it. Corn requires large amounts of N, as does cannabis for its veg growth. Then i could supply the nutes required for flowering. Anyone have any experiences doing this? Or does anyone see some glaring errors in my reasoning? thanks and best of luck to all farmers this growing season!

2. i've seen people on here say that they are doing a grow very similar to yours. just wait till you have some cover i guess and plant them in between the rows and maybe bend a few stalks so they get light. i would recommend you put your own soil mix in though

3. The questions I have are:

1.) What are the chances of the farmer going into the field after his grow has begun?
    2.) Will the soil the corn is planted in suffice? Would it be possible to plant the seeds leave them alone until harvest. I want to avoid approaching them if possible. I could simply watch the plants from my upper story house with binoculars/telescope, considering that I live close to the corn. The other plus is that the corn is out of view of anyone else, and that the farmers merely own the land there and farm there but don't in fact live near it.

4. if you are doing this then you should grow them for at least 2 weeks beforehand so they have a chance to grow one you move them. the soil there might not be great for cannabis but it could work. also if you dont get feminized seeds, then i would expect the buds to have seeds in it. i read that generally they dont tend to the crop if its a big farm after they plant it. thats just what ive read though

5. Thanks for the advice, I'm considering my options here for growing. Outdoor sounds like the cheapest option, because of the money saved by not lighting it. Cornfields are kinda cool because light is free and so is the soil.

I have the space for both indoor and outdoor growing, but I'm looking for a divine plan to outdoor grow

6. I'm not sure what the soil is like in your particular field, but corn can grow in some crap dirt I think. Most farmers plant a cover crop though in between corn planting season, the cover crop is only grown to be tilled back into the soil, thus rejuvenating the soil (adds organic material, etc.). Also, you may have to do some watering.

7. ok ive been around farming all my life and know a decent bit of what gets done in my area {iowa} well in between corns growing season, there isnt anything there. The intermediate plant someone talked about is often a season of soybeens which is generally planted after 2 years of corn growth, This helps replace some of the Nitrogen that corn takes out of the soil. Also the fertilizers farmers spread usually arent some special fertilizer, its chicken shit or something like it. Some disk in Anhydrous Ammonia as a extra source of nitrogen. The biggest problem that you will run into is ROUNDUP READY CORN!!!! We always used it because the other chemicals to spray weeds were a pain and more specific to certain plants. Which probly covers MJ too. Roundup will kill every plant thats not designed to take it. Im not sure how long it will stay in the soil after its aplied but they will probably have to spray before it gets above about a foot tall anyways or else they will break stalks. Next problem with your settup is dea flyovers and they do do flyovers in certain areas. I guess it almost always sticks out like a sore thumb so maybe if you keep the height just right it is a little better chance. If i were you I wouldnt do one patch but count the rows from some point and make small holes in the crop and keep them seperated a bit. you may want to add some fertilizer to help with your grow but it would probly be a bitch to take in your own soil completely. anyways good luck and hope i helped some

8. Besides the problem with drug spotting planes always flying over, most farmers here do no till, which involves a lot of herbicide.

9. yea we still have people who till and still use herbicides, good news is because of the corns genetics there isnt much pesticide usage...

10. I have done it and you will be fine. It is one of the number one ways to grow in my area. First, you need to make sure you put them out AFTER they have sprayed the corn, they do this when the corn is a few weeks to about 6 weeks old or so. Typically anywhere from june first to the end of june is when it is save to put them out. (it depends on your area and the farmer, I know a farmer that is spraying for 3 weeks because he has that many fields of corn) Also, when you do plant scrape away about six inches of soil to get rid of any of the pesticides thats in it. This is usually not real strong weed killer it is usually persticide they spray the fields with and it isnt extremely potent (there are regulations because of the runoff, ie into rivers and streams, etc.) You scrape down 6 inches and use the soil that is there you will be GOLDEN ; )

Also,2-3 stocks removed to one plant is perfect. And the people I know, and myself, usually put them in groups of 2 or 3 and in weird ass patterns, A flyover will do nothing if you keep them under 6 feet or so, or not taller then the corn. There are weeds that look like marijuana from the sky that grow in corn.

And like someone said earlier, the fertilizer is usually actually cow shit from the farm that the corn is being grown for,they water it down and maybe add some other stuff to it.The fertilize around this time of year, then they till it, then they plant it, then they come back in a few weeks and spray it with an insectiside.