Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Planting in clay only?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Dakushdoctor97, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Can it be done. I know a spot where the clay is a about 5inch from the surface.

Can you make a hole in the clay and transplant it straight in?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Retsnis, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    yup i have red and black clay @ my spot and they are doing fine.. i dug holes in about the size of a 10 gallon pot replaced with good mixed soil and they are doing good.. just be careful on over watering clay holds water..once the plants roots make it to the clay it has more to drink from and believe it or not the clay has a lot of good micro nutrients in it for the plants

• Like Like x 1
  3. No, it wouldn't be optimal. Clay doesn't drain right and you can get really wet roots that will turn mushy. It doesn't take much to amend it though with some good organic soil mixed in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think you could grow something in it but it's definitely not optimal or recommended, better off getting some potting soil.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Your best bet would be to dig a big wide bed..

Dig out topsoil down to the clay.. loosen up the clay subsoil with a pick.. replace the top soil you dug out with your mix and plant.. the wider shallower surface prevents sitting water that may occur in a deeper, narrower hole in the clay subsoil which can act as a bowl that fills up with mud with the rains.. been there done that..

Also,mulch the surface with a few inches of straw or whatever you prefer .. it is life saving later in the summer..

• Like Like x 1
  6. It might can be done, I dunno I have never tried it....but as others above have stated....I don't think it's your best bet......but if it's your only bet.....then give it a try and report back

7. Clay soils that contain a reddish or brown color indicate that they contain the necessary oxides for plant growth. They just need to be broken up with organic amendments to unlock the oxygen that's been locked into the large, molecular compacted clay particles.
    Heavy clay soil with a gray or gummy texture - typically found in swampy areas - lack the available oxides plant roots require to breath.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Im in agreement with all thats been said. clay is too wet, but has loads of mineral rich material. amend it till it mix it, with as many diffrents parts you can, composts..peat moss worm castings..matter that has broken down into rich soils with something more to offer.

my garden was rock and clay when i started it about 15 years. not anymore :) I add to it every fall so it gets better and better producing these.

Attached Files: