Planted seed in 5 gal SmartPot

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JaimeA24, May 3, 2013.

1. Hello, yesterday night I discovered my seedling had been germinated and decided to plant it. I planted it in a 5 gal pot because I wasnt sure when id return home from school after this weekend because of finals coming soon. Anyways, although I do sort of wish I hadnt put it in a 5 gal pot, it's been done and well I'll hope for the best. My issue is I dont know how much to be watering it. I am afraid I will over water and eventually kill my seed. So my question is, how much water should I be giving it. The strain I planted is a feminised AutoMazar from DP and I am using FFOF.

2. I'm also using smart pots and I lift them after I put my soil in to judge weight dry and lift them after watering. I just water until I have good run off. Then when it gets light (dry) I water them until I have good run off.

The smart pots seem to let the roots breathe better than a regular pot. I like them so far.

3. Im also wondering how much water to give to seedlings/small plants

4. water when soil is dry 1-2 inches below surface. when watering, only moisten, don't soak. by letting it dry out it makes the roots search for the water. makes them grow thick and strong.

5. Pick up your pot when it's dry, remember how light it is. Give it water and lift it again, remember how heavy it is.

There's no way to tell just by looking at the top layer of dirt, and nobody can tell you how often you need to water because everybody lives in a different climate with different conditions. Lift the pot, if it's stupid heavy then it doesn't need water.

I'm trying sips for the first time and it's working great. No worries about over or under watering. Just throw a thick bed of perlite into a basin and sit your fabric pot on top. Keep an inch or two of water in the basin, the perlite aerates the water as it wicks it up to your soil. Here are some sources...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1154867-sip-fundamentals.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...annbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html

6. The "weight" method is by far the easiest and most reliable.

the WET, DRY cycle is Very important.

smart pots are good because they breath.

7. i prefer to start in #1's then move to 5's. youll get the hang of it dude. we all started somewheres.

8. Just throwing it out there transplanting from a smart pot SUCKS.

I will only put a plant in a Smart Pot if it's the girls final destination.

9. How do you figure? No stress xplants. Set a #1 inside a #5 and its a done deal. Little bit of mykos, but other then that, I don't see how it could get any easier?

10. Thanks for all the advice guys!
    I bought a garden water bucket and just sprinkled about a half gallon.
    I also picked up some Miracle Gro blood meal. I read it's some good stuff for veg. When is it safe to begin feeding the plant?

11. I would top-dress with the bloodmeal and wormcastings in about a month from now.

Sent from my SCH-I405

12. Do you think it'd be alright to put a bit of the blood meal into a spray bottle with water, filter it out, and spray/moisten the top soil with it?

13. Thanks! Haha
    It'll take a few grows, but I'm excited. I have also purchased two seeds of a strain called The Doctor from GHS. So I'm hoping to pop those soon.

14. I live in SoCal, in the desert, so its already like 90-100 degrees out right now. Do you think misting the top layer with distilled water just to keep it from drying is fine? Or should I just wait till it dries out then water again? I also put kind of like this mesh thing over it to keep it a little cooler. thanks in advance.

15. blood meal is kinda hot when in soil, not sure if u used it as a folliar spray if it would burn your leaves up or not, but personally i wouldn't do it!

also remeber when watering, as the plants get bigger/more roots, they like to drink more! I normally water mine about ever 2 days or so if they need it or not. Sometimes 3, but never everyday!

16. I was thinking of using it like a folliar spray, but just spray the top layer of soil. What do you think about that?

As for the watering, I think I might adopt the SIP method mentioned earlier. It seems pretty cool, and since I won't be home much, it seems ideal for my project:)

17. It won't hurt

Sent from my SCH-I405

18. Spraying the soil, that is. If you want a foliar feed I'd use a botanical like kelp, dandelion, comfrey, etc.

19. Planting a seed in that big of a pot will never dry out that small of a plant will not have the root system to dry that soil out you must start off in a smaller pot and form a rootball

Sent from iPhone 5