plant too tall

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tealeaves, Oct 30, 2009.

1. hi guys

my big plant is gonna get much too big for my cabinet,,the cabinet is about 4 foot tall and the plants top leaves are nearly touching the bottom of the lights

is there anything i can do now to stop it growing upwards,,i started the 12/12 period a cpl od days ago and this plant is growing what seems like an inch a day

what can i do guys thanks?>?

2. lst, top or fim it...

3. You kinda have no choice but to top the plant. Even if you LST like I did, they're going to more than double in height through flowering.

So I would go with a combination of cutting a foot off of the top of each plant and tying them down sideways a bit.

4. #4 Surfin, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
    I have the same problem but my space is 7ft tall. I'm growing Lemon Skunk and it's in it's 4th week of 12/12 i've got about 4 more weeks to go and I've tied the top down but it just turns back up. I know I waited to long to flower, and I know that with sativas I'm going to start flowering very early the next time. My LS had tripled it's size.

Do these things ever reach a point where they quit stretching?

5. do u literally mean getting a sheers to the top foot of it and chopping

6. scissors or a razor blade will work just fine.

7. the plants in flowering mode,wont that mess aeound with any big bud that might form right at the top

8. yea it would damage your yeild, as it wont grow back if shes in flowering

9. Surfin... is your LS really stretching that much? Mine only got half again as tall, maybe twice as tall. What wattage are you using?

10. Put some plexiglass or regular glass at the maximum hight the plants can be. They will hit this, and bend themselves over. It won't look pretty, but it will work and you won't have to cut anything. The plant will still grow as long as it gets light. Shape is irrelevent to the plant.

You may have to bend your plants on the left over to the right side, and vica verca

11. They're only a couple days into flowering, they are still going to stretch a LOT. You need to tie them over very aggressively at the very least.

12. Wow, yeah, you are in a tight spot. I have had sativa dominant strains triple in height during flowering. Tie that thing down now. The plexiglass idea sounded right but you will have to tie it down first and add the glass later.

13. is a sativa plant one with 7 pronged leaves????

anyway heres the plant,,obviuosly the one on the right

i dont wanna chop the tops of it,,it looks as if there gonna be the 2 main flowers it would be a shame to do that to it

anymore ideas are welcome

[​IMG]

14. I would suggest tying all of the branches down on themselves until the end of the stretch. New branches will obviously sprout and grow reall tall as well, but once they are done stretching, untie them and then you will have a huge bush. They usually only stretch 2-3 weeks into flowering. If anything it will add to your yield by adding a bunch more dominant shoots.

15. you can try putting a screen over them and just scrog.

16. the more nitrogen you feed her the taller she will get:(

17. I second that.

18. Yeah, I have a sun hut, and I'm using a 400watt HPS. I started tieing the thing over I'm just hoping it settles down as I can only raise the light about 4 more inches. This will be the 4th week.

19. If I was in your shoes 1st thing I would do is top & tie them. Take them down those flower pots they are standing on & add maybe 3 T5 lights sticky taped to each wall. This will keep them further from the light, mix up your spectrum, & apply lighting where needed on the side as they grow towards lights. Try to make them bushy. w/ side lighting.

Some strains will grow tall no matter what you do, it's in the genetics. I had some Og Kush that was going nuts w/ height so I topped it & it still almost touched my light which I had to raise again today. This is why I flower in an open room & not a tent but I know we all have it diffrent circumstances.

20. Do NOT cut your plant whatever you do. Just aggresively tie her down being careful not to snap the main stem. If you just started flowering you will be in for a tough time the rest of the way cause it's going to grow a hell of a lot more. You should have supercropped her before flowering but too late now. Good luck to you.