Plant issues

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Bluetuna, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Having some issues with my plants and I need a few questions answered.

Everything in my grow was going according to plan until last week. Got a ton of fog and heavy rain for a week. Then it started raining again. Dealt with an infestation of bud rot. Cut it all out and thought I was good. Went on vacation for a few days. Came back home and two of my plants looked unhealthy. Spent all day today cutting out mold.

First question: if a bud only shows sign of mold on the top, is it okay to cut just that section out? Most of my buds had the rot coming from the stem. I threw all of those away because I was told it eats it from the inside out. Maybe four or five had just a little on the top or side though. I just trimmed the tops of those off and left them because they were big. Will the part I cut out grow back?

Also, if there is a large bud that only has rot at the stem, is it okay to keep the top half that looks healthy?

What happens if I decide to harvest early in order to avoid more mold? If we get another storm, I might have to do it.

Last question: how long do I need to flush for?

Sorry for all the questions. This winter I plan to read a bunch of books when I have some free time. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1st question yes. 2 no. 3 I do. 4 well if you'r to early it won't be that good of smoke. 5 2 weeks if u r useing chemicals none if you don't.
    No problem that's why we're here good luck happy harvest

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 skullbasher23, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Yes, u can just chop the moldy section off and leave the green part on plant. BUT usually in the spots where you tear the rotten bud from, the damaged calyxs will also then start to decay which eventually leads to rot again. Everytime u find rot, u need to determine whether it came from caterpillar shit or from airborne moisture. If u find shit, then DO NOT just remove mold. Look for the caterfuck and eliminate it's ass.

The big nugs are made up of little nugs squashed together. So what I like to do is use my pruner scissor to find the base of the tiny infected nug and chop it. Thatll stop it entirely. I then like to spray some hydrogen peroxide in infected aRea and tag the nug so that u can seperate it when drying from the rest.

You said you have some rot on the stem... do you mean powdery mildew?? That infects the stems. The problem with powdery mildew is that it's systemic meaning once it infects plant, it'll run thru it's veins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you harvest early then you'll just have less yield and lower quality weed. After week 6 it's decent enough to be smoked and will still be fun to smoke. Obviously depends on strain too. Any pics?

• Like Like x 1
  5. You know how two calyx grow between each node??? It'll happen in veg too next to the stipils. Those actually decay way faster than the calyxs on your buds. With dense tight nugs, those two calyxs get trapped inside and will spread the bud rot when they decay. That's another source of mold. Try to remove those if u can with tweezers if u see them decaying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Honestly, you don't want to use moldy weed or weed that has bud rot. I know you don't want to lose your crop, but it is what it is. I lost pounds and pounds one summer to bud rot. Next time, when your plants start to flower and resin up real good, sprinkle on a light coat of basic garden dust. If it rains, reapply. You can rinse your buds at harvest and it's not harmful. This will keep the larvae deposited on your buds by butterflies killed off. It's tough growing outside. You've got to be on your toes and try to prep for the bugs where I live. Can't do much about rain and moist conditions. That's God's work. Lol. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Putting dirt on your plant repels caterpillars.......... You hear something new everyday?
    [​IMG]

Who would have thought the answer to killing cats, is what's already on the leaf surfaces of your plants........ or the ground they crawl on.........

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for all the advice. I just checked the plants, no new mold spots. Also looks like the weather is going to be good for the next few days.

I think the mold is coming from both. I had a bunch of caterpillars and the humidity has been close to 100% for a while. The only defense I used was shaking off the plants multiple times a day and picking out the caterpillar turds.......

I noticed that the big nugs are made up of little ones. I did only snip off the lesser nugs and left the rest intact.

Anyone ever make a homemade greenhouse before or set up some kind of cheap tent system to keep the rain off of them?

• Like Like x 2
  9. So I checked the plants again today. Not good. Had to clip another 30 buds. I was down adding fertilizer and could see the mold from underneath. Spent my entire day off clipping off all my hard work. I can't even explain how depressing it is to have to work harder in order to get less. Supposed to rain for a week straight again starting Friday..........

Do you guys think I should harvest all my buds on Thursday?