Plant Health?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by castlefive, Apr 3, 2014.

1. #1 castlefive, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Hi guys!

I made a post previously about starting a first time grow and I got some very good tips. I'm currently growing 2 plants ( Bag seed ) in MG Potting Soil. I'm having some trouble diagnosing the issue with one of my plants. Can anyone take a look and perhaps throw a recommendation my way?

The center of the plant is turning bright green ( Possibly an N deficiency )

WP_002470.jpg  

Leaves are drooping, but the stem seems strong

WP_002468.jpg

Picture of second plant ( Looks healthy imo )

WP_002469.jpg

Also if this is in the wrong section, I will gladly move it! Thanks for taking a look. Here is a link to my first post and it has all the details about the growing specifics.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1292661-interested-some-feedback.html

Thanks!

2. Looks like overwatering which is a common issue. How often do you water?

I haven't really been sticking to a schedule per say. I try to judge when to water by how dry the soil is by pressing a finger into the soil and by picking it up to judge weight. There is a possibility that I may have just added too much water the last time I did water them though. Would the best course of action for an over-watered plant to just let it be and hope it pulls through? Thanks for the input Dawill!

4. I tend to overwater and  if I get those droopy leaves I just let it be until it dries out a bit.  I use moisture meters and find I don't water nearly as I would without them.

I actually found these neat little moisture test spikes, but they're so wide that I'm afraid to jam them into the pot. Any chance you could throw me a link to the meters you use? Thanks sir!

6. Yes, watch the leaves. As they perk up when the sun comes up (or lights on), it's probably time to water. ...or at least check the moisture level in the soil. Bone dry soil causes almost as many issues as "wet" soil.

I will use this strategy moving forward. I'm still working recognizing the different signs and responding correctly. This forum has been a huge help with that process. :) 

8. Rookwraith, I got my meter from Walmart.  I had to order it on line.  It just has one thin probe, or there are also meters on Amazon which show lighting, pH and moisture.  I only use it for watering.

Right on! Thanks Joker. Chances are if you got the meters from Walmart then we have the same meter. I bought a pack of 3 of them, but hoenstly haven't been using them much. I'll try sliding it into the pot around the edge before I think I need to water. Really appreciate the feedback.

10. #10 KouchLoch, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    I use this one because it's waterproof (at least I did). It also has temp compensation and auto-calibrating with the right solutions. http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-HI98128-Temperature-Tester/dp/B0085WV6GM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396535146&sr=8-1&keywords=hanna+ph+tester

I'm a stoner, I can't fuck it up by dunking it. Sold.

EDIT: sorry, moisture meters. I gotta stop smoking so much! Still, a great pH meter if you need one.

Wow that thing is the Bentley of meters. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range at the moment, but much like everything else in this operation, I will acquire one eventually! Or die trying obviously.

12. That's not an expensive one compared to some of the "professional" grade ones. They're not only used by growers obviously.