plant has seeds,i can see,can i plant them?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by lace42, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Ok so have this female,,all of a sudden she has seeds,I was told it could be because I had male<didn't know it was male at time>close to her, but that was months ago,anyway,there are some seeds I see so took one that was about to fall out and planted it,,,that's fine to do right? Also how do you when she is ready?

2. What color was the seed? If it was greeny brown then it was ready. If it was white it was premature. Can't hurt to plant it though. It will grow or it won't. You know when it's ready if about 30-90 percent of the hairs have turned brown/orange/red (just not white anymore). Or you can get a microscope to check the trichomes. If they are clear, don't harvest yet. If they are cloudy looking or amber then you can harvest now. The most cloudy trichomes will be a more sativa up high, and more amber trics will be a more hungry sleepy high. I just take close up pics with my digital camera, download the pics to my computer, and zoom in to see the trics. Works well for me.

3. Yeah, the fat brown ones are the ones you can plant

4. yes it was big and brown,,,good.!

5. Sounds good then. When they are falling out of the plant like that, it usually means they ready. That's how the plant spreads in the wild.

6. whats your opinion on why she has seeds?she was only around another plant for a very short peroid of time,once i realized plant was male i took him out asap.so she was only around him for maybe 2weeks and she was much older than him,,can that realy be reason there r seeds now?

7. Did he have balls that popped before you found him? Where did you move him to? If he is anywhere in the area, the pollen will still reach you're lady. If you just yank a male and toss him on the compost heap, the pollen will dry and go wind born. Or you could have been pollinated by a neighbors crop.

8. booooooo!! well that makes sense now, i didnt think about pollen AT ALL so yeah when i seen it was male i pulled him and carelessly planted him in a random spot on side of house,,he was my first so i had some attachment lol but totally didnt think he could mess with lady across yard,,but now makes perfect sense...thanks!! so i need to totally get rid of him huh,,,also u know anything abt spider mites?i was told to use lilbit of dawn dish soap and water and spray on plant?

9. Get some neem oil at the plant or grow store. The stuff I have takes one tablespoon per gallon of water. You mix it with warm water and a couple drops of dish soap to make the oil mix with the water. Shake it and let it cool and shake it some more before spraying your plants. Make sure to soak the undersides of the leaves where the mites live. Do that every 3 days for 2 weeks and you'll stop them. I only use it in veg and if I have to part way into flower, but I wouldn't use it in the last few weeks of flowering. Not much you can do then but remove the webs. Some people soak the buds in water for a day, then cure them, but I've never tried that. I've also heard of people trying to wash the mites off. Neem is your best bet.

10. #10 lace42, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    To be honest iam not sure where iam at on growth,iam very new at this and assume iam in flowering stage,I will attach pic also one of spidermites,,,,,well it wont let me post pics already posted but will get a current one today when I get home,,thank u for ur advice

Attached Files:

11. Yep, that's already several weeks into flowering. I'd just pick off as much web as I can. To be honest I've sprayed flowering plants with a light misting of raid in the past when they got infested. It's better than losing them to bugs and didn't really hurt the taste of the bud. For health reasons I wouldn't do that every grow, but you can still salvage this one. In the future, use the neem oil early on and on and surrounding plants to keep it from being a problem.

12. When people say flowering, they just mean when the plant starts growing pot, or when you switch the light down to 12 hours a day so they start getting pot. Outside this happens naturally. The first sign of flowering in females is little oval shaped things with hairs sticking out of them called pistils. On males, they grow little balls, but no hairs.

13. #13 lace42, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ur awesome!thanks so much for your help!you really have helped!when I get home im yanking that male out lol and gonna get current pic of female,,,,,,when do I know she really ready?peeps say when u think its ready wait 2more weeks it will almost double in size,,true or false?

14. You're welcome, glad I could help. That's not a bad rule for new growers since you're usually anxious to finish and smoke your bud, but the best ways to know when to harvest are to check trics and pistils. If 30-90% of the little hairs (pistils) have turned from white to brown/red/orange then they are most likely ready. If you can get a cheap microscope, it's good to look at the crystals and check if they are clear, cloud, or amber colored. Clear isn't ready to harvest, cloudy is faster high, and amber is a more sleepy high. Most people harvest when there is a mix of cloudy and amber trics. It also works to take macro pics with a digital camera and download the pics to your computer, then zoom in on the trics.

15. Not sure why pic is upside down,,but this was yesterday

Attached Files: