Planning to remodel my small outdoor garden anyone wanna help?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by raskama, Apr 5, 2011.

1. aloha from hawaii anyone mind helping me out planning on making a better garden and what types of plants im going to grow i was thinking some tomatoes and eggplants and stuff or chili peppers?

2. the pic of the garden im gonna redo?

Attached Files:

3. it pisses me off, i can't think of the name of the thing i want to tell you to build.. but it's just like 4 corners, and the roof is just made out of 2x6's, placed thin side down. you could grow grapes from it. home grown grapes are awesome... also, you should make a place for composting.

4. #4 TexRx, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    ^^^^I agree! ADding a composing area would be awesome!!

You can start a basic compost pile. There's nothing to build. All you need is a few bags ofstore bought compost to get started. Add kitchen scraps, grass clipping, leaves, coffee grounds. This type of composting gives quick, usable results

Also, It would be easy to build a composting box. I'm planning on building one soon. It will be 6ft by 5 ft and 4 ft high. A smaler scale one could be 3ft by 2.5 ft and 3.5 ft tall. I'm going to apply 2 coats of weather sealant since it will be in the elements. I add garden waste, grass clippings, brush, and other organic material to this typle of compost bin. It will take longer for this type of pile to be ready

check out my compost thread, too! It's got pics of my pile, all the ingredients, final results, etc --> http://forum.grasscity.com/gardening/656770-my-adventures-compost.html

:)

5. thankz for helping me out yah if you have any more suggestions let me know on what i can do?

6. A good way to decide what to grow is to look at what you buy from the store the most. If you eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers and get them as produce, grow some! Check out your shopping lists if you make them. Sorry if this is stupid advice...

7. good idea &looks like a nice area to set up how you like it.
    Im in process of starting an outdoor also & just recently turned up the soil really good & added some nutrient soil also.
    Gonna have the usual tom's ,lettuce cucumbers, maybe a couple melons , a sunflower plant & I want to try to grow a pomegranate shrub/tree? & I want to try to flower a REAL pineapple.
    I understand that takes a long time to do and isn't easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you happen know anything about flowering pineapples?
    Have you ever tried or do you have suggestions?

"I am sooooo fucked.......YES?"

8. umm well i grew pineapples before but i dont know the stages i jus grow and leave til its ready to eat lol

9. i remembered the thing i was trying to think of.. a pergola... great for grape vines, or just a nice garden piece

10. #10 oceansgreen, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
    my idea, look up square foot gardening, and THEN plan your new garden, i advocate for this shit cus i love it, its TONS easier and WAY more effiecient as it doesn't crowd the plants but it doesn't give them more than they need, i would advise looking it up
    also think a compost pile's a good idea

11. ok thankz oceansgreen yah i think imma grow some peppers and grapesand tomatoes?

12. nice, grapes are godly

13. sounds nice man, gardens are a GREAT thing to have so good luck, let us know how it goes, wish the weather around here was as good as Hawaii haha

to give you an idea of what can be grown in a small space, i have a ten by twelve greenhouse for the summer and i am growing(actual garden space is approx a 3x8 and a 11x2 bed as well as a few individual pots):
    8 brussel sprouts
    12 Fennels
    6 Nastursiums
    45 onions
    64 radishes
    12 spinach
    16 lettuce
    4 chives
    8 jalepeno pepper plants
    1 bell pepper plant
    11 tomato plants, prob only two in the greenhouse
    16 carrots

and i think thats it
    radishes will be done in about 3 or so weeks from now so after i pull those i'll have to decide what i'm gonna put in thier place
    all the jalepeno peppers will be in thier own pots(with 7 of the 8 in a hanging pot thing)
    same with the tomatoes
    there is still some more space that i could use to grow in there but i dont have soil for those beds yet so that'll be a while

14. ok thankz oceansgreen thats some good list of plants i need to build my grow garden up again my apple banana is done lol they taste wonderful ill put up some pics on the apple banana?

15. sounds like a great idea! man i wish we could grow exotic fruits arond here! i had a bannanna tree in my room as a small kid in southern utah but it died:(
    up in wyoming now so anything but apple's practically out of the question for fruit trees
    (there are a FEW otheres that would grow here but not well and not that we'd consume as much as apples)