Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pipe cleaning... with a twisted question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by meliorhex, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I have read the threads about cleaning one's glass pipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Luckily, from experimenting with a bit of the ol' herbal alchemy, I have a ton of it sitting around. The pipe I am referring to is about a year old, used every day, and has NEVER been cleaned. Used to be a clear pipe. Now completely brown, with a near half inch puddle of goo in the bottom of the bowl.

So last night I filled up a Mason jar half way with alcohol and submerged my pipe in it. Started changing into a yellowish colour immediately. Today I went out and saw that it is a deep, dark, scary looking brown.

My plan is to eventually take the pipe out, use a funnel and a couple of coffee filters to transport it into a glass dish or pan and then let the alcohol evaporate slowly and naturally, or put it on a warmer to speed up the process slightly.

I have no idea what this process will actually yield and recognize it will probably be something gross, but there is a chance that it will have a purifying effect and turn all that resin into something that might be decent. I'm mostly doing this for my own interest.

Question: Has anyone here actually tried this? Does anyone know if the resin left over has any value whatsoever?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. I tried it as a giggle and while it did turn out ok, it wasn't really worth it. And it looked nasty.