pinch your stems for better yeild....

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Shabang, Oct 31, 2007.

1. this is from an article from a high times mag a couple years back...

NYPD's technique:

NYPD's has a radical twist for training his plants. he carefully breaks or, in the case of seedlings, bruises the inner hurd, without damaging the outer stalk. Breaking the inner hurd initiates growth.

Common sense tells you that this would block the flow of nutrients through the stalk. the exact opposite is true, says NYPD. "you will see the branches grow thicker and stronger. Now these brances can pump more juice up and down the plant, to not only hold the weight of large buds, but also speed up growth."

You can begin the reatments when the plants are just seedlings. Gently apply pressure and pinch the stem. Rotate your finger 90 degrees and pinch again. young plants and shoots will sometimes droop over slightly. this is normal, and they will return to normal within 24 hours. Wait until young plants double their size before a second treatment. now use two hands to manipulate several points on the stalk, leaving roughly 3/4" - 1" between applications. wait for the plant to double its size again before you give it a third treatment.

When the plants mature, intensify the treatments. Using two hands, slowly twist the stalk in opposite directions until you feel a snap. you will distinctly hear it and feel it. When you release the branch, there is no visible damage and the branch will be as straight as it was before you treated it. that snap was the inner hurd breaking, while the much tougher outer hurd remains undamaged. NYPD suggest doing this every 3/4" - 1" on all branches and shoots, from bottom to top. Remember that slight drooping is normal and will also help open the plant up to more light. after a couple of days is a good time to tie your plants/branches down, if you desire to train them.

Give them a week or two, until they double in size again, and then resume treatments. NYPD says, "try to time it so you can give them two or three treatments before serious budset occurs. at this time, manipulations will interfere with bud production." remember that these girls are going to take a lil longer, and will need alot more water and maybe a lil more nutrients during peak bud growth.

2. I myself have broken the branches during the first 3 weeks of flower with no ill results actually making a huge difference cause I am at day 36 flower and my kali-mist buds are looking nice and dense. IT basically forms a knot around the bend when it reheals and allows more water and nutrients to reach the tops than normal.

3. isn't this just a form of super cropping? or am i missing something?

4. this is called the twist and crack method.. im sure it has been brought up spmewhere on here before.. i know lots of people that have done it... because of the knot it sucks up more nutrients and water

5. yeah, i know it pretty common knowledge....but maybe it might help someone who's never really seen it/tried it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. the twist and crack method. bomb. i do it to all my plants. highly recommended. ive seen incredible evidence of stronger more robust growth after doing this. that knot will form in a few days. i have threee going right now in a SCROG- Pics on grow journal ALL KUSH SCROG GROW. booyashaka

7. Awesome post man, never heard of this before, i will be trying this on my plants real soon, + rep : )

8. Yer....already did this by accident :D and noticed the knot forming. I had no idea that this would be good for the plants though and it did scare me a bit! Actually I would still be very cautious about it!!

9. I have done that to half a crop and let the other half alone. No difference what so ever in yield but knotted ones did take 5 days longer. The logic just doesnt make sense to me. A plant as a person has a certain amount of energy/hormones. When you break a plant it uses its energy/hormones to repair itself and thus less is used on growth. the author even says theyre going to take longer and need more water.

Hey if you snap your arm it will grow back stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  10. breaking does make a difference if you do it right. Not only are the branches stronger so they may better hold up weight when the buds start to swell but when the stems repair the pathways inside the stem reheal to a larger size and allow more nutrients and water to get to the buds in turn causing them to be much bigger than usual. I have noticed a huge difference from doing it and not doing it so it may just be your strain isn't as responsive to supercropping or you jsut did it wrong. oh and remember to LK your plants after stressing them cause LK is awesome at allowing plants to recover almost instantly compared to without it.

11. maybe ive smoked to much to understand but when u pinch it, do u mean like a 90 de. kink to the side?

12. you pinch till yoy hear a pop and the stem will usually droop to a 90 degree angle on its own if you did it right. I usually soften up the stem about an inch in the area where I was bending it and bent it on my own to where I wanted it.

13. on top or at the bottom of your plant? thanks

14. I usually just did the pinch anywhere below where I thought buds were going to develop but the actually bending i did to control the height of my tops and create a even scrog like canopy without the screen. Some of my branches required 2 bends to make them sit in the right place it looks crazy. But all my tops are close to my cfls and are getting hella frosty so it works and the better pathways fro nutrients and water don't hurt either.

15. Great read very informative. Researching pinching my plants I'm scrogging this helped a lot. +rep

16. +1

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

17. Here's some pics of my bend and break plants even canopy thus in turn caused better light distribution and knots supply more nutes to tops they look sexy I didn't read this article before hand I actually did it on accident a fan fell on my girl and bent her bad breaking too of plant so I then watched and learned it helped was crazy but def. Works man

Attached Files: