photoperiod question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jed1970, May 1, 2013.

1. hya im almost at week 7 flowering my bigbud x white widow
    and was wondering was it worth increasing the dark period from 12 to 14 hours ?
    this strain is a 7-8 week flowerer and seems to b taking ages to ripen
    ive read lots of contradictary arguements for and against
    some saying it greatly increases resin production coz the plant thinks its running out of time to get pollenated
    while some say thats rubbish and will ruin the yield and the potentcy
    whats do you guys think?yea or nay?
    peace jed

2. I personally cut the hours back sometimes. Like now I'm on 11/13 because a few just weren't finishing up for me.
    Might wanna wait a little longer though, WW does take a little longer from what I hear and you're only on week 7.

3. yea week 7 almost on a plant meant to finish in 8 possibly 9 weeks
    but will it b a bad thing for me to do-with it only avin 2 weeks to run?
    peace jed

4. Honestly man, its your call. That's what it comes down to. You'll still be happy either way. I'd cut the hours back but someone else would say not to.

Just because the pack said 8-9 weeks might not be right. It's not like all the sudden it hits day 65 and is done. A lot is on how you judge it man, you might decide to let it go longer for more amber trichs. Maybe you chop at 8.5 weeks for cloudy trichs.
    It'll be putting on some nice weight over the next couple weeks :)

Female seeds WW x BB? I have 2 of those beans actually. I'd like an update if you don't mind once its done and cured.

5. i cant see it harming them really at this stage
    ive grown this variety b4 and it hermied really badly so im looking forward to how it turns out myself
    peace jed

6. What did you do to make it hermi?

7. I think u won't lose yeld is u lower the ligh period since this is last week.I saw some breeders advice to lower it last 2 weeks especially for the the white long flowering strains.In the dark period is when plant create smell and oil.

8. dont some growers put them in total darkness for few days before harvest for extra bulk

9. Not shure for this but for oil and smell ya u can do it,also last week the buds not getting that mutch bigger only maturing.If u have place in home u can put for ex.2 plants in dark room and keep others under the HPS after that move them bag under light,will be nice experiment.

10. i decided(face palm)to totally line my groom with mylar sheeting
    lika fuckin turkey it was all shiney
    neway my temps were in the 90`s plus- and i didnt notice that it was seeded til it was too late
    u see i believed that if i had bought feminized seeds ,they were female and that was that kinda thing-so i didnt check for males at all and my crop was 80% seed
    and what wasnt seeded was wank
    but this time ive used seeds from my hermied crop(risky i know)but they look awesome
    ive over ferted and had ph issues but were almost there
    still getting the odd pollen sack but im like a ninja on there ass lol!

11. usually a grower will put it on 24 hours of dark right before harvest for resin production. if you want to lower the light time then i'd suggest doing it during the last two weeks of flower. however i would just keep it at 12/12.

12. #12 jed1970, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
    thats wot ive decided to do mate-leave thing as they are theyre happy enough and im in no rush
    i read a bit today bout a 24/48 dark period pre-chop and found conflicting stories
    some say it makes no difference while others claim increased resin production
    either wat itll do is dry the plant out a bit which will speed drying times so thats wot ill do
    peace jed

13. #13 GoldGrower, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    I never fall for hearsay, and there is so much on this forum. you have to think ruthlessly when people say certain unusual acts make a better grow.

the way I see it is if you lower the amount of light (intensity or duration) you lower the amount of photosynthesis, therefore lowering the metabolism. this can only result in slower growth and maybe even slower maturation.

but being in the dark will cause the plant to lose some chlorophyll so it may help give it a sweeter taste.

I very much doubt less light could cause the plant to produce more resin, it just isn't a logical conclusion

the plant doesn't think, it cannot contemplate, only react, and there has to be reasons for them to react a certain way. finishing early because it's dark doesn't explain how or why the plant will do this

I doubt there is anything you could do in the last two weeks that would give you more or better bud while not doing the same if you had done it the whole flowering period

14. But do you ever go out and try different things for yourself?

Cutting lights makes sense to me, that's how it works in nature. Signals the plant its time is getting shorter. Now I'm not saying this as a way to increase resin production or anything. Just to get it to finish.

In my experience I've never had the 48hrs of darkness really make a difference, just trips it out. I just pull them straight outta the room.

This is just my opinion from my experiences.
    As we all know, for every person that says one thing there's another that will argue against.

15. yes I try new things all the time, that is sort of my point. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

it's to my understanding that there is a hormone produced by the plant in the dark and sunlight displaces, or renders it inactive somehow. the tipping point is around 12/12 so this triggers the plant to produce flowers. if its already producing flowers I don't see how more of this hormone could trigger the plant to produce more as its already in full flower. but even if it did, the plant will be getting less light energy so how could it produce more plant? as I said, it's an extraordinary claim, and it will need extraordinary evidence to back it up. I have seen none

try an experiment at 5 weeks in and see if a few days of dark will get it to finish early, I bet it wouldn't even if you left it in the dark for ages, infact I bet it would suspend production and maturation until a proper amount of light is given to them again

16. I believe that most of the illogical and "unusual" acts people do to help their plants along is reinforced with the apparent growth spurts and changes the plants naturally have, coupled with all plants being different so often give incomparable results

there was a scientist called B.F. Skinner, he conducted a famous experiment that explained the phenomena of superstition. I believe the same experiment can explain the vast amount of crazy ideas that is passed around the gardening community, not just marijuana growing. here is a snippet from Skinner's wiki page explaining the experiment...

"One of Skinner's experiments examined the formation of superstition in one of his favorite experimental animals, the pigeon. Skinner placed a series of hungry pigeons in a cage attached to an automatic mechanism that delivered food to the pigeon "at regular intervals with no reference whatsoever to the bird's behavior." He discovered that the pigeons associated the delivery of the food with whatever chance actions they had been performing as it was delivered, and that they subsequently continued to perform these same actions"

"One bird was conditioned to turn counter-clockwise about the cage, making two or three turns between reinforcements. Another repeatedly thrust its head into one of the upper corners of the cage. A third developed a 'tossing' response, as if placing its head beneath an invisible bar and lifting it repeatedly. Two birds developed a pendulum motion of the head and body, in which the head was extended forward and swung from right to left with a sharp movement followed by a somewhat slower return.[62][63]

Skinner suggested that the pigeons behaved as if they were influencing the automatic mechanism with their "rituals" and that this experiment shed light on human behavior:"

17. #17 M3DICIN3MAN420, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    Well no shit, you'd be just leaving it in the dark with no light, of course it wouldn't work.
    So you don't see how cutting the light back more bumps the hormone production up and in turn signals the plant its days are shortening and it needs to get done?

And I didn't say a thing about cutting the light back would produce more anything. I'm just saying sometimes its what the plants needs as a signal that it doesn't have forever to finish.
    Little less light, more hormone production, plant goes "oh shit, days are getting shorter, better get to finishing" but hey, you'll fire back with "plants can't think" because that's all your argument can hold.

And that experiment sounds retarded. Did you even read what I said? In no way shape or form did I claim throwing the plant in darkness for days would be good.

You best go pick your fight with mother nature and tell that bitch she can never fall below 12/12 when a cannabis plant is flowering. Oh God it would fuck with that plant so much, it could never finish...

So, no extraordinary evidence because its not an extraordinary claim.
    Sorry you seem to have such a problem wrappring your head around such a simple thing.
    Sorry I don't have evidence to back up my claim. Maybe you should try it for yourself sometime. First hand experience is how we learn, so get to it haha.

Edit:My bad, maybe it wasn't you who made the hard point that "plants don't think" can't remember.

18. Ahahaha funny shit right there. All I can picture is some Harlem shake bull shit but with pigeons.

But I'm not claiming something crazy with a ritual. Just how nature does shit, doesn't just stop at 12/12 it'll keep going down obviously.

You seem like a smart dude so why are you having trouble understanding what I was saying?

19. pretty sure its an asian plant so days dont get as short as other places 12/12 triggers flower but light encorges growth so as long as its been triggered it will grow flowers less light would mean less engery production smaller buds i should imagin i might be wrong

20. then you do not understand the results of the experiment. it shows that pigeons are assuming that their actions directly preceding the delivery of food actively caused the delivery itself. it's a very natural assumption, and a necessity to learn quickly in a natural environment. humans do this to, and its an explanation to why superstitions are made.

my point is this same experiment shows how doing these unusual random acts right before the plant packs on weight can make you believe that it's positively effecting growth, when infact it has no control whatsoever.

be skeptical with illogical claims, question, experiment and never practice hearsay otherwise your just making the problem worse