ph over 7

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by steve, Feb 19, 2003.

1. hey if your soil ph is over 7 will it make the plant male. and if it is how do you bring it down?

2. no it wont make em male

and just throw it out and go to walmart and buy some dirt
    problem solved

3. actually yes, the higher the PH the higher the chance of it becoming male..

try using less ferts if ur using ferts, and try to get a soil with a ph of 6.5 - 7.0 or so

4. Just dilute some vinegar in water for the next time you water them.

5. pH doesn't control the sex of the weed. the sex is determined in the seed before it eber comes out, and that includes hermies. certain conditions can bring out the hermie trait.

ferts are usually acidic, not alkaline.

6. bpp...ur right...

sex is determened well before the pH of the soil

maybe it could have a small effect on a hermi plant but that is about all.

and screw the acid delution...just repot

7. didnt say it made it 100% male, just said it pushed it towards it a little. this is from a book by ed rosenthal, and I figure hes a pritty good grower..

It should drain well. That is, it should have some sand in it and also some sponge rock or pearlite.
    The ph should be between 6.5 and 7.5 since marijuana does not do well in acidic soil. High acidity in soil encourages the plant to be predominantly male, an undesirable trait.
    The soil should also contain humus for retaining moisture and nutrients.

straight from book.

8. yea well no offence to anyone...but ive read more crap in books than u can shake a thai stick at. and have any of u actually met ed? lol i have.

sex is created by the male gammie. period. there is no real environmental control of sex once the seed is created. what environment CAN control is the germination of the seed. and i have no clue as to if males tend to germinate better or grow better in an acid condition.

what can maybe (and i stess VERY MAYBE) happen is that a stressed plant that might tend to be hermi might get kicked over the edge and show more hermi traits. but to say that u can change the sex of a plant just by environmental conditions...well...u are gonna need a bit more than ed's personal growing opinion.