Petition Drive To Legalize Marijuana In Michigan

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by teacup13, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Michigan residents could legally use marijuana on private property under a measure proposed for the 2008 ballot.

The Board of State Canvassers today approved the form of a legislative petition proposed by an Eaton Rapids-based group backing the proposal.

The measure would make it legal for those 18 and older to use marijuana on private property. Those found using the drug in public would be guilty of a civil infraction punishable by a 50-dollar fine.

The measure also would allow people to grow marijuana at their residences.

Supporters of the measure must gather about 304-thousand valid petition signatures to get on the 2008 ballot.

Previous signature-gathering attempts failed in 2000, 2002 and this year.

Source: WZZM13.com
    Pubdate: 27 November 2006
    Copyright: 2006 WZZM 13 ABC

2. damn,,if that shit happens i might have to move up north a lil bit hahaha

3. makes me happy cuz i live close to michigan

4. It wont happen. Even if it does get on the ballot there's no way it will pass. We need to take small steps and gradually convince the general public, not just jump right in and try to get it completely legalized. Shit, right now in Michigan if you get charged with possesion you get, up to a year in jail, if you dont go to jail you get a $900 fine (plus about $500 in court fees and another $300 in probation fees), 2 years of probation, 3 months of drug counseling (which costs another $400), and if you fail a drug test you go to jail for a minimum of 1 week, if you fail again you go back for a minimum of 1 month. We have some of the harshest marijuana laws in the country, there is no way we can go from that, straight to legalization. We need to take baby steps, start with trying to get medical marijuana legalized, then maybe once we achieve that, try to continue to push to get it decriminalized, then maybe once we can possess it, try to get cultivation legalized.. People around here think that even the attempt to get legalization on the ballot is a joke, let alone actually passing the law. Besides, if a law to legalize was passed in any state, the federal government would step in, tell them if they dont revoke the law they will take away massive amounts of funding, and every person in the state will be in an uproar. Nice try, but we are far, far from it right now.

5. i agree with hootskers, lol. if it's not legalized for medical how do you expect to jump all the way to full legalization?

but, hell, it's worth a try. i'll be wishing you the best of luck

and it's 18, not 21, which sounds better than the nevada one

6. Heres my thing. Right now Michigan is fucked economically. The auto industry has left this place in shambles. People can't find jobs, and the state doesn't even have the money to assist the people in need of help. Our infrastructure is in ruins, highways, roads, bridges.. falling apart. It's gotten so bad the MDOT has had to let some roads go back to being gravel, that were once paved. Not the mention the dirt roads. I've lived in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Michigan and the only place I have YET to see a dirt road is here in Michigan. Jackson County medicaid has a WAITING LIST... that's insane. The state is all but Bankrupt. Detroit at one point in American history was the Greatest Manufacturing City in the world. It's been reduced to nothing. 15,000 people homeless. Globalization really screwed this place over.

We Have Medical Marijuana, now is the time to Legalize Marijuana in order to Save the State from completely going bankrupt.

Legalized Marijuana with some kind of taxes applied, similar to the way alcohol and tobacco is taxed could generate BILLIONS in new revenues for the State of Michigan. Not to mention SAVE the State/Local Governments money by NOT HAVING to fight it/continue to use tax dollars to enforce prohibition of it. A marijauna industry would create new jobs, maybe not to the extent that it would replace what the failure of the auto industry has done, but it would sure as hell help.

Tax payers would save money by no longer having to jail and house non-violent pot users (who by the way, ARE NOT criminals no more than every patron of any bar that serves alcoholic beverages).

The whole enigma that pot creates crime is false. Prohibition essentially takes control of the drug out of the hand of the Government and places it into the hands of the black market. And the black market is where the crime comes in.

Think about this, do you know of any drug dealer who would ask for ID before selling a bag of weed to someone who MIGHT be your child? Don't think so. Being controlled by the state and sold at stores similar to liquor would effectively keep it from being sold to children, similar to how alcohol and tobacco are.

Lets stop the anti-drug madness and start being realistic, Washington D.C. isn't going to save this place, those bailouts that were handed to the auto industry went to pay the horrible CEO's bonuses, so they could still move the factories overseas to countries with cheaper labor. While Legalized Marijuana (and industrial hemp mind you) won't save us, it will surely help to relieve the debt and make up the deficit that we now face.

I suggest you all look into H.R. 1009 by Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) the "Legalization of Industrial Hemp Farming Bill" and support it. Urge your local representative to do this as well.

I think that if you really want to get marijuana legalized, you should present a logical argument as to why it should be legalized, why prohibition is wasteful, how legalization could help in these horrible economic times. Educate people. The masses only have 40 years of Government-backed FEAR MONGERING and PROPAGANDA to go on, enlighten them people. Be safe :)

7. Michigan has to step up. This is the worst state to get caought with pot. I got caught with a gram and this is what I got NADCP Home | NADCP

8. constitutional amendment anyone?

to do that all you need is 2/3 of the states or 75 percent of people...

these can be private votes too...

you dont need congress to get an amendment passed ... we the people can...

9. where do i sign.

10. Theres a petition in my sig;)