Pests or no? Help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by StoryofScars, Jan 14, 2013.

1. So I've been doing some reading, but I can't find a solid answer. I have a plant that's two weeks old. A few days ago I noticed dark brown spots on two of the fan leaves. They've gotten lighter over time. Also, I noticed tiny black spots under some of the leaves. I saw some white strands, but have a cat so I didn't think much of it. Here are the pics. I'm thinking spider mites. Thoughts please? Thanks!!

ForumRunner_20130114_144209.png

ForumRunner_20130114_144245.png

ForumRunner_20130114_144319.png
    The bottom pic is the black dots I'm noticing.

ForumRunner_20130114_144245.png

ForumRunner_20130114_144319.png

2. #2 StoryofScars, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Also, one leaf has a weird black line across it the same color as the spots when they first show. Could it be a trail similar to what slugs leave? It's spreading to some surrounding leaves.

3. Can you look underte leaves with a magnifying glass?

J

4. #4 StoryofScars, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    I'll check it tonight and let you know, J. Thanks.

Some additional notes: temps stay mainly between 72-81 occasionally 84. Humidity is usually on the low side. 21-32%, the two plants are twins sharing a cup (fighting for nutes maybe?), spots start out dark and oily looking and fade to brownish yellow after a few days. I'm also seeing leaf yellowing now. Smaller newer leaves show spots at the edges while the larger fan leaves started mid leaf and spread. Leaves have been dry but I've had fluctuating temps so I attributed it to drying out. I may be wrong. I'm wondering if there aren't multiple problems going on. Anyone care to weigh in? I'll post newer pics tonight.

One last thing worth noting. I'm doing an organic soil mix that didn't get to properly cycle. From what I've seen it doesn't look like nute burn to me, but I'm a noob.

5. New growth is coming in yellow with brown tips and some Browning mid leaf. Could it be nute burn from improperly cycled soil??

6. ForumRunner_20130117_085818.png

ForumRunner_20130117_085845.png

They've been separated and transplanted to 5gal buckets (not in the pics). I've top dressed with a bit of lime. Time will tell if they pull through.

7. normally black dots like this are eggs from spider mites... look under all leafs and see if it have some bugz moving around

8. I have not seen anything moving but I do keep seeing black dots or clusters that look like specks of soil. Though I do tend to stir up soil. I'm going to have to get a magnifying glass. They looked to be getting better after the transplant, but no longer.

ForumRunner_20130121_182709.png

ForumRunner_20130121_182744.png

ForumRunner_20130121_182807.png

The last pic poorly shows the darkening that's happening on all the dryer yellow leaves. I just cant tell if it's pest or nute related!!! The new growth coming in looks healthy but the rest just looks sick. Ive checked quite a few sites and forums about sick plants and I keep seeing a couple things it could be but nothing definitive. Help!!!