Perspective

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Poisongage, Feb 19, 2010.

1. #1 Poisongage, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  2. The Earth is amazing and we are fucking small :smoking:

ps. i like your sig

3. Indeed, very fucking tiny we are :D

Thanks man much appreciated!

4. Ooops! Sorry for the image fail, must be a link-back error, think i've fixed it now.

5. For some mind-blowing footage, watch the following in 1080i:

BBC/Discovery Channel -- Blue Planet
    BBC/Discovery Channel -- Planet Earth

They are each appx 5.5GB in size, so you'll need a relatively large HDD, and a decent internet connection in order to download these in a decent time frame. They might be available on Hulu, I haven't checked.

6. Yeah those are real nice, awesome docu's.

7. Haha no problem man, i'll live.

I only coloured it, an artist on deviantart made the graphic, it was originally a tattoo design, but i messed with it (positioning and colours). Came out pretty nice, eh ? :)

8. quite nice. i like that it's nature-esque. is it supposed to be like a mixture of nature and infinity cuz that's the vibe i'm gettin

9. YAY! That's exactly what i was aiming for. Originally it was an "infinity-S" but i messed with the positioning and added the colour to bring out the beauty in the graphic. And my intention was exactly that of nature (the colours) and infinity (the graphic).

You've made me a happy graphics artist for tonight my friend :D

10. Do you happen to know what percent of the challenger deep has been explored? Amazing post btw, really interesting how deep the ocean truly is.

11. From Wiki:

"The Swiss-designed, Italian-built, United States Navy bathyscaphe Trieste reached the bottom at 1:06 p.m. on January 23, 1960, with U.S. Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard on board.[1] Iron shot was used for ballast, with gasoline for buoyancy.[1] The onboard systems indicated a depth of 11,521 meters (37,799 ft), but this was later revised to 10,916 meters (35,814 ft).[8] At the bottom, Walsh and Piccard were surprised to discover soles or flounder about 30 cm (1 ft) long,[9] as well as a shrimp.[1] According to Piccard, "The bottom appeared light and clear, a waste of firm diatomaceous ooze".[9]

Only three descents have ever been achieved. The first was the manned descent by Trieste in 1960. This was followed by the unmanned ROVs Kaikō in 1995 and Nereus in 2009. These three expeditions directly measured very similar depths of 10,902 to 10,916 meters."

12. Glad I could be of service :) and again nice job.

In my oceanography class I think we learned that there are only like 1 or 2 probes that are capable of descending to that depth and one was lost at sea during a storm. That plus the fact the entire ocean is 90% unexplored would lead me to believe we probably don't know shit about challenger deep.

ps. i tried googling and found nothing.

edit: damn..too late. oh and i think Kaiko was the one that was lost.

13. Also from Wikipedia:

Mariana Trench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 1 June 2009 sonar mapping of the Challenger Deep by the Simrad EM120 sonar multibeam bathymetry system for deep water (300 - 11.000 meters) mapping aboard the RV Kilo Moana (mothership of the Nereus vehicle), has indicated a spot with a depth of 10,971 m (35,994 ft). The sonar system uses phase and amplitude bottom detection, with an accuracy of better than 0.2% of water depth across the entire swath (implying the depth figure is accurate to less than ± 11 meters).