Perpetual style SOG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GYMRATjoos, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys ! Been real busy since my last grow of aurora indica and white castle from nirvana with good and ok reviews, wc is good stuff but aurora indica was a little on the fluffy side. I like dense nugs not fluffy leafy bud....

So I currently have :

2x 4'x8' grow tent
    2x 4'x4' grow tent

I use one of the 4x4 for a veg room with a 400 watt MH. I have 3 mothers as of now but will have several strains in another week or so. Aurora is going to get budded out I have better strains coming. Bubblicious will remain as it is a good indica pheno I have. And white castle is also goin to stay for head stash...

Currently I have 9 plants dwc in 5g orange homer buckets at different ages under 1000watt hps, and 5 more in other tent same system.

That leaves 1x 4'x4' tent vacant.

I want a better system that will yield faster , I rather have a ton of small plants then a few bigger ones. So I decided to go with a SOG style grow , and being that I have more than one flowering room I can make this perpetual style to harvest every few weeks if you do it correctly.
    I'm adding 2x 600 watt to the 4x8 tents so I can have 2 sides of SOG and cover the whole tent.

Design: FLOOD AND DRAIN into tables possibly 4x4 or 3x3 , each table having its own separate res. leaving me with some good room to work with. I'm guessing I'm filling the tables with hydroton but is there a less messy way to do it? I would like to prevent pests as much as possible,

Questions ??
    If I go with a standard 4x4 hydro drain table I would want a drainer and a riser not all in one?
    Will I have room with the 4x4 tray to reach the back if my rent is 4x8?
    Should i go with a 3x3 tray?
    How many plants per tray is efficient?

Cloning is a whole separate issue and I would also like to ask advice about. Being that I would be running a SOG style grow I would need a good cloning system. My mothers are in hydro right now and I don't know If all mothers should stay in dirt or another medium other than hydro?
    I plan on following a basic guide to cloning but since my flowering system is hydro I believe my cloning should be as well.

Any advice on the matter would be excellent! I am buying pieces to the puzzle now ;)

2. U know the moment you realize a certain system would of worked better the first time around and the second that thought crosses your mind like " I just spent x amount of. $$$ just to spend more to re do it.

Ugh!!!

3. I laughed in the inside when I read your second post. I am in the same boat as you right now mate. I am currently switching from DWC to flood and drain. From what I've been told, and this is by fellow employees at the grow store I work at, 32 plants vegged for 10 days and placed under 1000 watt, is the perfect number to hit 2 elbows per run. I was told to use rockwool blocks call Hugos. We should both start a journal and share thoughts and ideas as we venture into the dog world!

4. SOG not dog lol

5. Dam dude hell yea !! I'm excited!! I'll follow you too.

Dam 32 plants per 1000watt earns me 2 lb hell yIZZLE !! What strain? Nutes?

Yea so Hugo bloks? I've heard of em. What do u cover roots with hydroton right? How big of table?

6. Ok so when I clone jn a smaller to Rockwell cube using aeroponics and roots are sticking out the bottom of rock wool do I just bury the roots in the Hugo block cube? Do they eventually grow into it?
    Do I surround each block with hydroton? So they have some light coverage?

Using co2 will help?

7. 4'x4' trays are perfect for 32 plants per 1000 watt. No hydroton needed. Fromm understand the plants are going to be so small, that the root structure is grown entirely in the Hugo block. I wa told some will come out the bottom, but not to worry about that. You should clone in what are known as grow plugs. They for perfectly in the cut out if the Hugos.

8. Those plugs are also known as micro plugs.

9. How big is your space? If this goes right I'm gunna have several lights going and going to get 2 more tents.

10. I have a room that is 16'x7'x6.5'. I currently have 4 Magnum XXXL which are all a 1000 watt. I plan to harvest every two weeks.

11. Yes same setup I just have 2 lights per tent . I do the grow plug or whatever already in a homemade aero cloner . I get 100% success most if the time but it only has 9 slots for plants each time and I need more so need to find a way to clone and root more of them.

image-1120297319.jpg

This bubblicious pheno I have is purely indica dominant !! Can't wait to clone from her... 10-12 harvest in a year per light is awesome! We will have to get up with each other some how if your in the states , cuz u will have a Ton of product :) all the time :) blaze one on our moments of epiphany haha!

12. For sure! I live in the great state of Colorado. Our governor just sign recreational marijuana into the state constitution yesterday. It is a glorious time :)!

13. Oh, and to answer one of your previous questions that I didn't see until now, I will be running Durban Poison, White Widow, Buddha's Sister and Headband. I might even throw in some Cherry Skunk I haven't done I awhile.

14. Nice man! Yea I read about CO pass, the entire legalization of the whole US is upon us...

So I read up on a Ton of threads on this whole flood and drain SOG grow.

They all say to line the top of your blocks with poly paper or white poster board to prevent pests ...
    Those blocks are Non reusable which sucks but I'll give it a go and see how this works out.

15. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the country. It is unfortunate that the blocks are non reusable, but I really don't even reuse soil or hydroton. I have also heard the same about the white tops to the blocks. Their are several little tips and tricks to keep pest out of the grow. I haven't had a pest in my grow for quite some time. I am not sure when I will be getting started. I think I will take ally clones by the end of December, and should be up and running by the middle of January. One thing that I was told to make sure and do was to level my tables. Pretty common sense, but something one might not remember to do.

16. You got that right... wish the whole country would take their head out of their asses and legalize an herb that can boost this economy from using every part of the plant. Medicine, food, livestock food, bedding, rope...etc..

Gov. Are idiots with power.

Anyway yea level your Tables? Thought if you slant it a little towards the drain that it will help flood better, but I guess it would fight to reach the peak of the table an wouldn't get water and nutes to the root system. Makes sense.

I should be up and going here soon too. Have a harvest in 2 weeks of white castle and aurora indica, and bubblicious from nirvana is right behind them 2 weeks later.

Just killed my aurora mother last night on accident. The bar that holds my 400 watt fell and light swung and like decapitated my aurora mother so I taped her but she's prolly already ded.
    No matter though I dot want her as a mom any more! I have like 12 strains coming i spent 600$ on seeds!

Cloning is huge part of this growing system!
    I took ur advice even though I have a homemade aero cloner, I am ordering rapid rooters. Seems the dome method works for experienced SOG style growers so I am going to try and have it work for me....

Do u soak plugs in water? How often u spray with water ? Advice would be good here :) ha!

I am def going ti make this a journal/guide when I get all pieces together.

17. That's funny "Gov. Are idiots with power!". Got a laugh out of me even though I am sick. The tables should be level because they are pre made with a slope. I am sorry to hear about your mom. But I guess it doesn't really matter since you didn't want to keep her. What kind of strains did you order? Where did you order from? Thought about ordering some seeds from a bank and then having one of my boys grow them out to maturity. I wouldn't plan on using these seeds in you SOG grow, at least not right away. I thought about doing this because a grower I know knows DJ Short personally, and was going to give me 100 of his F1 Blueberry seeds. I still plan on getting them from him, but it takes too long for seeds to reach a maturity point. From my understanding, it can take up to and a little over a month. Maybe consider starting several moms with them, so you can have clones available for you second SOG run.

I have never cloned in Rapid Rooters before, although those thing sell like hot cakes at the store. On the package it has directions, I think it says to re moisten with PH water. They only types of cloning I've done are in rockwool and aero. When I did the rockwool in the dome, I would spray about 3 times a day for the first couple of days. Then I would just spray when my hygrometer would read below 80%. You might want to consider getting a root heating pad with a hydrofarm thermostat. They come in very handy and keep your babies at a perfect 78-80 degrees.

18. Dude ok so i ordered 3x3 flood tray thinking it would be less room in my tent if I went with 4x4 plus it's 50$ more , and my question is should i go with the 4x4 since you can fit more plants in it? Hydro store opens at 10 am EST so I have Bout an hour to decide whether or not it would make a difference? Shipping was free with 3x3 but might not be with 4x4....let me know if you can?

19. I am sorry I have been away the past couple weeks. Had a lot of family shit going on. What did you decide to go with, the 3x3 or 4x4? Had I seen this soon enough I would of suggested the 4x4. Also, you should slap who ever works at your grow store for charging you shipping! Unless of course you live out in the country side. How has your grow been going? Did you use rapid rooters? I myself recently setup my 4x4 table and have 34 babies in Hugo 6" blocks. I will dwindle that number down a little as some babies will show signs of weakness. I anticipate your response! Cheers!

20. Went with the 3x3 if I knew I would if waited and got 4x4 prolly could of put a lot more in there. I'm waiting on some if my clones to root. Then I will
    Be setting up res and the rest of the set up for the other side
    image-4250150707.jpg