Perhaps an interesting theory on how to raise your yield

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by GoldGrower, Aug 14, 2016.

1. #1 GoldGrower, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    I have never tried this but the logic seems sound, at least with the information I currently have.

The idea is to veg your plants as big as possible, completely fill the area, as close to the lights as possible and with the lights raised as high as possible.

Here's the weird bit, once you have filled the area, prune the plants right down to give you enough room to veg a few more days to get over any shock, and then start flowering

What this does is give you a much bigger root mass than what you would normally have when flowering starts. I believe this should give you better growth whilst flowering and shouldn't take much extra time to veg out the area when it's growing well.

It's not something I have been able to try yet, but hopefully I'll be able to try it soon. Anyway, thanks for reading, if you have any opinions on this I'm all ears

2. This will all depend on what you are using to grow your plants in, the tent size, and the light source you use.
    Problem one: pruning the whole plant will seriously shock it/stunt growth and possibly cause other problems.
    Problem two: regardless of you pruning and growing it as big as you can, you will still be in the same size pot and tent. So you won't get any more growth out if as far as height and width go if you grow it out as much as you can in the veg stage.
    Problem three: leaves are your solar panels. Pruning them all, or a majority of them to make room for more growth, would slow down the process of the plant growing bigger and taking in as much light as it can/needs.
    Sounds like you smoked a little too much and thought this was a phenomenal idea haha

3. I don't think pruning them down would do any harm since none of the plants have gone into flower yet. It generally takes about 10 days or so for them to get going good and putting on buds. Our setup is such that we could give this a shot and just might at some point. I know that trimming on them much while they ARE in flower can cause some strains to do weird stuff...but if you do your trimming before, shouldn't be a big deal and it does make sense. We just had to raise our lights again tonight. I've got some monster plants this time around. They're already over 4.5 ft. tall going into veg. No buds even on them yet and we had to raise the lights. LOL I like that! I started taking extra clones and only keeping the quickest rooters and boy have those suckers done well!! TWW

• Like Like x 2
  4. I don't think you read it properly, not much of what you said made any sense lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pretty sure I read it properly (been stone cold sober for three weeks now) You said you were... going to veg your plants all the way up to the lights filling the tent, prune them heavily, wait til it gets over the shock, veg a few more days (whatever that will accomplish), and flip to flowering. You won't have any room for flowering if you fill your area out during veg. Then you say "prune the plants right down". What does that mean? Sounds to me like you're the one who didn't understand what you were even trying to say at the time. You gave no info as to how big the area you're growing in or how big of pots you're using, but that doesn't matter because you said you were going to "completely fill the area". You do understand that plants will double, if not triple, in size during flowering, right? Now if you're moving the plants outside after you veg them out as big as you can in your tent so you can get the root mass you're looking for, then that's a completely different story and could possibly work. But you never said that. But you still face the problem of the roots becoming root bound in the pot you're growing in and leaving the plant to not grow anymore during the flower stage which you said "I believe this will give you better growth while flowering". Only you had a problem understanding what I replied with. Maybe give a little more info instead of just throwing a high idea out blindly. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Not my fault you couldn't understand someone who is sober.

6. I think this idea may be a bit too complicated for you lol. I honestly don't know how to explain it any simpler, but your explanation on what the idea is, is not correct. The things you're bringing up are a bit silly. The size of the area makes no difference, obviously the pots need to be of a suitable size, that goes for any grow and is totally irrelevant to my idea so wasn't mentioned as it would overly complicate the explanation. I never said anything about moving the plants outside. You have gotten yourself in a right muddle. You are being extremely obnoxious, for your information, I haven't been high for weeks. If you have any specific questions, you are free to ask, but I'd prefer you keep your insults to yourself

• Like Like x 1
  7. Agree to disagree buddy. There were no insults thrown your way form my end or being obnoxious. If any one was hurling insults, it's you now attacking my intelligence in the subject at hand. I was trying to understand where you were coming from because you didn't explain it clearly enough or give enough information for me to understand really what you were trying to get across in the post. I explained to you what I got from your post and you just laugh. But you still have failed to explain it any better and felt the need to attack and insult me. All I was doing was asking questions and giving you my input like you asked for.

8. "all I was doing was asking questions". You've got to be kidding? Did you even read what you wrote? If there were any parts that you didn't understand, you could have asked about them, but you chose not to. You chose to try to insult my growing knowledge instead by talking about things that are irrelevant to the idea and saying I'm just too stoned to think of an idea properly. There is no point discussing the validity of this idea with you until you understand what the idea is in the first place, and to do that you would need to ask questions which I would have been happy to answer. Or you could just read it again because it really is spelled out pretty clearly. If there is any terminology that you don't understand, just ask

9. You literally didn't ask one question. Please point out one question from that

10. right? haha

11. I've got to agree. What are you pruning? Are you topping it? Taking it down a few feet or are you lollipopping the main branches? If the first, that's just normal procedure. You take a bunch of clones a week or two before flower to manage its height and keep the genetics going. Scrogging is the way to go with a lot of strains to maximize harvest yields.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I dont understand how implementing this theory of yours will cause an increase in yield. Unless you werent efficiently using your grow space to begin with.

Using your logic, you would have a larger root mass leading into flowering. That may be true, but the plant would grow faster, catching back up to the root mass and then you would be back to square one. Nothing really gained by your pruning method overall.

13. No, you wouldn't be back at square one, you would be well in to flowering. But with a root mass much bigger than it would normally have been if you grew it in the more conventional way

14. Heres the thing, the plant can only use so much water. If there isnt enough foliage to use the extra water from the extra root mass, what good is it doing?

Youre assuming the plant is going to grow faster because of more root mass, correct? Do you think the root mass will also continue to grow, maintaining a higher root mass all the way through flower?

But regardless, the plant is only going to uptake the water it needs, you cant force more water into the foliage to magically make it grow faster.

Making sense?

15. Your questions imply that you haven't really understood anything of what I've said, I'll try and answer them as best I can....

What are you pruning?

The plants... I'm not sure what else to say lol

Are you topping it?

Not in the general sense. Just cutting it down to the correct height.

Taking it down a few feet or are you lollipopping the main branches?

Taking it down to whatever it needs to be. The amount you cut off depends on how much height you have in your set up. It would be pruned down to about half the height so you have room to flower. Lollipopping has nothing to do with it

If the first, that's just normal procedure. You take a bunch of clones a week or two before flower to manage its height and keep the genetics going.

No, this has nothing to do with clones. You could make clones out of what you have cut off if you wanted to. But that's a different story

Scrogging is the way to go with a lot of strains to maximize harvest yields.

ScrOGing is something else entirely. It's a method I often use. I'm currently using it right now, and have had many very successful ScrOGs. But this has nothing to do with ScrOG

• Like Like x 1
  16. This is oversimplification but, photosynthesis is 6Co2 + 6H2o = C6H12O6 + 6O2 when light energy is added.

So even if the roots could take up more water, you cant get more energy out of it without adding more Co2 and light.

17. Ok, at last a proper conversation has begun..

I do assume the plant will grow faster. I certainly believe it will. The plant will be severally out of balance. The roots will be way bigger than the foliage. This leads to foliage growing faster because all growth will be of the foliage. The roots won't grow. Or at least by no real noticeable amount. I have witnessed this many times when a plant's roots/foliage is out of balance. Trimming foliage slows/stops root growth until foliage has caught up. The reverse is also true.

The plant will have as much water and nutes as it can use so you get faster growth. All other health aspects need to be good obviously. Normally as a plant grows the foliage gets bigger and needs bigger roots to match. The roots grow and needs bigger foliage to match. So they grow together in balance.

I have kept many mother plants in DWC so can see the speed of the root growth. When I trim down the mother plants to make clones, I see that the root growth ceases and the foliage catches up very quickly.

So, back to the idea... If the roots are big enough to support a plant that has completely filled the area, then once the foliage has been cut down to create enough room to flower, the foliage "should" grow back at a greater speed (because the plant doesn't need to grow roots and will easily be able to supply as much water, oxygen, and nutrients as the plant can possibly use). Only this time it won't be just making stems and leaves, it will be packing on bud.

By the time the foliage has grown back enough so the plant is in balance again, I'm thinking that the plant will have grown more bud than it would have normally. This is the only part that I cannot be sure of at this stage. But if I'm right, it would be a way to get a bigger harvest without needing to make your set up any bigger. It could be a great system for people who have very small set ups.

I know the roots won't magically force water up in to the foliage, but, the plant won't need to grow more roots because they will already be there, and it will be able to supply everything the foliage needs with no restrictions like it would normally be. The restriction being that the root mass isn't big enough so grows bigger. This takes time and energy that could be spend while vegging instead of the valuable flowering time... I mean, if it works

Making sense?

• Like Like x 1
  18. The plants will be growing, they won't be staying the same size lol