Perhaps a somewhat dumb question...

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Lynxie, Dec 6, 2009.

1. I just yesterday was gifted a bong (my first). It's very pretty, and the glass is nice and thick everywhere...except for the bowl. While it is a huge fucking bowl, it feels like really flimsy glass. The downstem doesn't seem too thick either, and both are rubber grommeted.

So here is my question. Is there any way to rip out the rubber grommeting on the bottom and replace it with a new downstem? If not, is there still a way to get a nice, more sturdy glass slide for it?

2. yep some shops sell glass on glass downstems that are sealed with a rubber cork type grommet deal. and then you can add a gong bowl to fit. i would reccomend a diffused downstem. Take your bong, make sure its clean as new, and never refer to marijuana or "bongs" on a headshop, call em waterpipes. ask if its alright to show them your un used "water pipe" if tehy seel what you wnat and to see if it fits.

3. Yea I know to never call them bongs and such. The local headshop I go to actually has a big sign saying if you mention marijuana or marijuana jargon in the shop you'll be kicked out on the spot.

Glad to know that there is a way to replace it. Now the only thing I have to figure out is how to remove the downstem, seeing as the rubber grommeting is glued into place.

4. Ok I think I see what you are talking about. That little white rubber piece? Does it just sit at the end of the downstem and hold it in place?

That's a really nice piece btw. :3

5. you might not be able to. try alcohol. That could work. you woudl have to pry it off i guess. be really careful because grommet bongs are usually pretty thin and fragile. im sure you can wiggle the downstem out slowly, but the grommet is another deal.

Yea it basically is a big rubber white cork, theres a hole in the middle to fit a certain size gong downstem with a bowl. then you remove the bowl/slide to clear like anything else.

6. Awesome, thanks! I'll have to look at it and see what I can do to loosen it up.

7. Im sure you'll find a way to do it. alcohol can do a lot. so if the glue isnt coming off soak that part in alcohol or try hot water and soap and maybe you can carefully cut away the current grommet with a small thin box cutter or blade. its just rubber and glue its not rocket science haha

8. ya bro i switched the female tube to a glass on glass tube thats diffused on my festival glass bong i got at krock-athon.

9. Yea I'm sure I can too. Prolly going to wait until I can afford the downstem and such though. XD Christmas season's got me a bit tapped.

10. My brother and his friend were at Krock-athon this summer. Wonder if you saw them :confused_2:

11. idk meet a bunch of peeps this summer at krock-athon. i was either waaay upfront or trying to find my buddy with his pipe so we could roast a bowl

12. What?
    You Been :smoking:???

13. be careful ripping out that downstem with rubber i pulled mine out and the downstem cracked i was like :mad: my mini bong!

14. If the downstem cracked when I was pulling out the grommeting I wouldn't really care seeing as I'd be replacing the downstem anyways.

15. ya but when you wanna clean that shit afta ya get it nice and dirty might want to remove downstem to clean the diffuser slits, those will eventually clog and will need to be cleaned

16. Bong and bubbler water should be changed daily at most, I used to change mine every bowl or two