Perception....

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by RavenousDespair, Nov 10, 2004.

1. okay this thread is pretty meanlingless BUT i'm posting my opinion and stuff so i guess i'll do it here :D hmmmm one of my many little theories that my friend enlightn'ed me....perception....this is extremely hard to explain over the net but i'll try *clears throat*

Okay here we go, when we were little our parents/environment/teachers taught us the colors right? well to ME or YOU or ANYBODY ELSE...when i see the color "blue" i see something that very well could have look soo much different than from another person would see...confusing? let me explain.....when they point out on a peice of paper of sum'n they say "whats that color" and by our memorized "script" of what that color represents to me or you or anybody, we say that color that "looks" like "blue" or "red" it may not look that in another person's perception....weird? confusing? well its my thought....and a quickie thought/belief is chaos theory i'm a big fan of it....(the butterfly effect....great great movie i recommend seeing it) well any questions? and anybody get what i'm trying to get across?

2. Not weird and not confusing...you kinda hit the nail right on the head...

First off...we see colours due to reflections or beams of light. Lightwaves have different frequencies, so producing a frequency red is quite easy...and everyones receptors in the eyes react with the same chemical to the same input. But there's a difference between men and women. Women are able to see deeper tones of red, so...yeah...in a way we see things differently...

And as for seeing them totally different, I've given that one a million thoughts before...love doing that, especially when blazed...yeah, it could be. After all we don't all agree on what tastes good or bed, too. And that works the same way

3. tu push futher the reasoning:

what makes you completely happy can be different then what makes me completely happy.
    which means that no one should be telling his neighbour what is happyness.

(I'm not saying that because USA iz exporting their happyness to Iraq, no, not at all.)

4. That would be a cultural perception of happiness...not quite what we were talking about...

5. yes and no (to /my point of vue).

it's still perception.

how one perceives something "inside himself"...

may that something be a color, a sound, an emotion, a knowledge....

6. with the whole perception of color portion of this, all i can say is that the most entertaining way to debate over colors/the perception of colors is to be on shrooms. talking about the color purple, especially what MAKES the color purple is just... bliss.
    i think you should get blazed and think into perception on a more deeper level than colors, like how people percieve their surroundings and why. a lot of it has to do with auras. two people could walk into the same room, same state of mind (drug wise) be the same age, weight, ect, and be completely different about it perception wise. its fucking hard to explain without weed right now, ill get back to it when im blazed, peace out

7. well ... blazed yet ? ..

8. I understand exactly what you mean. I think it all has to do with what you've seen that color associated with and how a culture has changed. I find that perception is easily put without being explict or without writing a thesis on it as being genetic and environmental. It is all associations, that is how the mind works. That is why people get afraid or happy with certain situations. It doesn't have to be complicated. The more complicated it is the more people you've lost to influence or see it your way. That's it.

Peace.

9. when i was a kid i used to wonder if i heard/saw /felt things completely different from other people but was always described similary somehow....... like to make you understand with a stupid example...... maybe i see something with 2 arms but someone else saw it with 4 arms, but then if i were to say i saw it with 2 arms he'd understand it as me saying it as i saw it with 4 arms...... silly i know ..... i donno how old i was long time ago just this thread reminded me of it.............like i remember i always felt so helpless cuz there woould be no way i could ever know....................... lol...................wow so fun i was :)

10. read up on George Berkeley.. he nailed it before you did..