Perception of Aesthetics, From the Journals of Durchii

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Durchii, Dec 5, 2006.

1. "Knowingly allowing oneself to percieve the world as anything less than we are capable is a grotesque evasion of the true nature of aesthetics."

What are aesthetics but a chaotic dance? It is not merely viewing the floor from an end table, but truly grasping the erradic and chaotic nature of its movements. It takes observation and perception before one can truly participate in the dance. Then again, knowing the movement of the masquerade is one thing. Perception is a completely foreign take on beauty. For, what aesthetic pleasure could a hideous, uncoordinated swing deliver? Implications of orchestrative chaos.

Again, it is not the way we see the dance that matters! The saying goes, "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder", which thus forth allows us to realize that the chaotic nature of our existence is utterly and purely subjective.

The object is not what is beautiful. It is not the chair you are sitting in, the paper this is written on or the moon that lights this page. It is the raw and unfiltered perception of aesthetics that equates the correlation between fantasy and reality.

But, what is fantasy, you ask?

We created it, of course! The imaginative perception of a world that does not exist, influenced by our own world, which does. To properly concieve the former, we must be utterly aware and all knowing of the latter.

On a clear day, peer to the horizon. There is no knowledge of what lies past it, but sensical and scientific knowledge tells you that there is indeed something there.

We all possess the ability to assess and analyze the world.. In blissful ignorance that the person next to you is looking at it in a completely different sense of aesthetics. Would this not affect our perception of fantasy?

If early religious philosophers had percieved the act of sex as the most hideous of agonies, the concept of eternal damnation (as we see it today) would consist solely of a neverending orgasm!

What of human interaction and politics? Merely human entities acting upon there proper analysis of the world around them and how it should be in their eyesm but using that perception and clever deception to influence the beings around them.

"Wherever you look, there is something to be seen"

Know this, and be wary; The stars you gaze into tonight, basking in the pleasure of aesthetics and formation of fantasy, will infuriate and scorn the eyes of many more tomorrow.

-Durchii

2. Deep man. Its too early for me to form an intellectual response so I will just leave it at that.

3. heh, yeah, too heavy for this time of the day. i'll be back later.

4. I'm counting on it, =P

5. Fuck aesthetics and fuck Emmanuel Kant.

Can't stand that bit of philosophy, don't know why *shrug*

6. Never did get into Kant.. I have read the Categorical Imperative, which is a Kantian tae on how ethical certian aspects of life remain.. But that's as far as I've gone. This piece of writing was strictly off the top of my head and I wrote it in a 10-15 minute window. We do indeed feel differently towards aesthetics, and that's the beauty of perception!

Black and white.. Not to mention many very lovely shades of grey. (This is a subtle reference to a work I am writing currently)

Also, your avatar cleverly decieves, Rasta_Man.. Whenever I look at my copy of 'The Great Shark Hunt', You pop into my head. I think, should we meet, I will stumble backwards at your true identity.

Damn you and your secrecy! God's mercy on you, swine!

*Shakes fist*

:rolleyes:

7. Haha trying wading your way through "The Critique of Judgment". Oh man, I should post that in the insomnia threads! :p

But honestly, I love aesthetics, just not in a philosophical pretense, it bugs me for some reason... but like you I love photography and art (though, my hobby has long since died out). I think because it was introduced to me in an academic setting, and had it forced down my throat, rather than being allowed to explore it on my own terms.

Damned institutionalized education!

If you didn't live in the mid-western united states, I'd say we should grab a coffee and a joint! :D

My mystery is what makes me appealing, I think!

8. Trust me, buddy. One day, when I am free of the grip of the law, I will make my way into the realm of Canada once more. I very much enjoy that country.. I have tasted it once, and such as a sweet tooth, I cannot get it out of my mind.

You guys are so very friendly. It's amusing. Also, you tend to be somewhat more healthy than we are.

Also, aesthetics (photography, in your case) is a very difficult thing to pass through someone in school. It takes much self exploration and learning. I have learned everything I need to know through my personal studies.. High school did nothing for me.

It works frighteningly well for the social cliques, which leads me to believe it was nothing more than a 4 year competitive social scene... I could be wrong. I was only there for a year and a half, so the basis of my theory is basically aquired through short lived knowledge.

Photography is nothing to be learned in a high school.. A college perhaps.. And that's only if you truly want to learn the art of the dark room and film photography. Digital photography you can pick up by yourself, in a pretty short time frame.

I suggest picking up a camera, again. You may be inflicted with this terrible insomnia and brief insanity.. But it's fun. Also, my cat likes you. He never gave any recognition to your existence until he saw your signature...

I fear we may have a 22 pound cat next to us over coffee.. If anything, the joint will assist his metabolism!

Hah! Great idea... Way to go, me!

Damn, probation at 2:30... Better put my game face on.

9. Ha! I have been thinking about a cleverly deceitful avatar to spruce up the aesthetics of this forum. I am leaning towards Lauren Bacall smoking a cigarette. What is y'alls perception?