Perception is reality.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheMagicPlant, Jan 11, 2011.

1. These are just some ideas I came up with while I was high, I just want some feedback on if this makes sense to anyone but me, and if you have any crazy philosophies or deep thoughts that you reached from using marijuana, or any other mind altering substance post them I would love to read them.

Here's my best shot at a few philosophical ideas I conjured up while stoned.

Perception is reality. Meaning all real things that we see, touch, smell, etc. are actually only what our minds perceive them to be. Like when you look at something, your eye sends a message to your brain and your brain then creates an image of what your looking at in your head. So in reality every thing you "see" is really an image produced and perceived in your mind. Everything is in your head, just an electrical and chemical reaction going on in your brain. For example when a person takes a hallucinogenic drug that creates a hallucination, they perceive this image to be real(in the real world) when in actuality it is only an image produced by their brain, and really so is everything else, but the difference is that the message for the hallucination is caused by a drug, and the message for reality is caused by our eyes.

I tried the best I could to get across in words what I am thinking...

One more.

Think about colors. What if everyone sees different colors, like the sky for instance. The sky is blue. But what if you looked through my eyes and the sky was red. So I'm seeing what you would call red and your seeing what I would call blue but since we can only see through our own eyes we both are seeing blue. Blue to me would be red to you, but red to me is not red it is blue. Even the way I would describe blue would be the same way you do, since really to me it is the color blue. So you could be seeing the world in a totally different color scheme than me and it could be different for every individual person, but you can only see through your own eyes and only your own mind can create an image of what your eyes see.

Okay, that one was even harder to explain, I did my best and I hope anyone who reads this understands what I was trying to say.

If it were not for marijuana I would have never looked this deeply into anything, and that is one of my favorite things about the plant, it brings you places in your mind that otherwise would be impossible to reach.

2. dam that color idea I see what your trying to say thats pretty deep

3. I've had similar thoughts about the whole color thing OP, can't remember if I was lit or not though. As far as what your thread title is about, I'm actually reading a book that in some ways asserts that perception truly is reality. It's got to do with quantum physics but its pretty god damn mind blowing, and I stopped reading regularly a while back (other than school related ish.) I love getting high and reading about the shit, its a mindfuck everytime. Book is called The Answer if anyone was curious... and it isn't any weird religious bs it just proves the whole perception thing to be true.

4. I am standing on my head and you are standing on your feet, we are right next to each other. Which way is up? Above my head or above your's? Perception is reality.

5. No its not

The perception that perception is reality is reality

6. Now you're trying to get too deep with it.

7. There's nothing deeper than that

We all see the same things

We just see them differently

8. You don't need eyes to see, you need vision...
    Perception is an interpretation, an interpretation of reality. Like a piece of esoteric text, there are many interpretations but only one true meaning that the writer intended for you to understand.
    Some say reality is a piece of literature.

9. Reality is just a state of mind..... INCEPTION!

10. I think the color one had been disproved, because everyones eyes are basically the same and our eyes react to the same color spectrum. You look at the sun, and it hurts. I don't know anyone that looks at the sun and says "oh, thats a warm color green!" and can stare at it.

11. This pertains a lot to the idea of subjectivity. If you enjoy this video I recommend the whole thing, its a really interesting lecture tying consciousness with quantum physics. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sB4j6L6Rzw[/ame]

12. Yeah, anyways I was thinking this color stuff when I was in 6th grade and came to the conclusion that people have to be seeing the same colors after talking to a few people about my idea.

13. Your conciousnes has direct contact with reality. Perceptions seems to be within the self, a preconcieved idea based on expectaion from previous experiences.

14. I second the notion of everyone watching the youtube video. That is dr thomas campbell, and I believe he has an amazing theory on consciousness and subjective experiences. Really explains a larger reality system very well.

15. Sometimes what you perceive is not reality though

16. That means I would have to turn the music down.

17. Exactly.

18. Then... ???

19. #20 Tunguso, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
    Your perception has to have some grasp on reality, if not you have made a misjudgment or you are dillusional.

And then: the rest is up to u.