pc vs. mac

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by dman4twenty, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Aren't all of Apple's Window's competitors using a single class of hardware as well?

2. I use my mac for spinning.. 10x better than a pc for DJ'ing.

3. I'm a media student and I find my macbook is a lot easier for a lot of my project work. It's just made MY life a lot easier. But, I did my research. I never decided 'I'm a mac person' or 'I'm a PC person'.. I'm a 'what suits my needs' person. I got info about what would suit my needs best and bought it.. a macbook (It cost me a good bit of money, but my college has a discount thingy I availed of). .

4. Yes they are, but my point is this; Apple creates their OS for their products. Dell, HP, Gateway, don't. Essentially their operating system is outsourced to Microsoft. So while OS X needs only to work with a few motherboards or GPU's, Microsoft must comply with dozens. Credit to Microsoft for using OEM's to penetrate the market quickly, but in their market share stealing crusade I feel they left quality and innovativeness in the dust.

I simply prefer the non-bloated, registry free unix based OS design of OS X. Its fundamentally a more "lean" operating system than Windows in my opinion. Unix based OS's are far more modular, whereas Windows' monolithic approach is more "all or nothing." OS X is also far more secure by design than Windows.

For example Apple's HI guidelines make for a consistent, simple UI for all applications; everything feels inclusive and uniform. Uninstalling applications typically consists of dragging them to the recycling bin, in contrast with Windows which requires you to run an "uninstaller" to deal with its bloated program files and registry keys.

None of this matters for most people though, they're going to use the OS that they are used to or prefer. I was sick of being used to Windows and having to download a third party app to do anything (if you dig deep enough into OS X you can change a lot without having to add bloat to the system), and fighting with the registry, etc.

5. Mac users remind me of this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmtlrioy58U]YouTube - ‪AMAZING NEW DRINK!‬‏[/ame]

6. My PC does everything I want it to... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

7. #47 Droogie, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
    I think the point you were trying to make is that Mac's are more expensive?

Actually, the cost of ownership on a Mac is often times lower than a Windows based PC.

IT Pros: Total Cost of Ownership on Macs Lower Than PCs
    PCs Are Cheaper?
    IT pros: Macs cost less to manage than PCs | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

They can be more expensive up front sometimes which turns some people off, but its well accepted, even within the IT field, that Macs often require far less time and money to manage. Total cost of ownership typically turns out to be lower.

Now PCs also have their advantages. Windows is currently the better option for gaming because developers seem to like working with Direct X (even though OpenGL has many, if not more merits). There is also a wider range of third party software for Windows.

It comes down to personal preference. I own a Win7 machine, and a MacBook and from where I'm standing the MacBook just is more practical, and OS X just seems to be better in most regards.

8. im runin ubuntu remix on my netbook, android on my phone, and win 7 64 bit edition on my pc. intel i7 quad core processor,

wouldnt even fuck with mac os... its weak sauce

9. You realize there are more Apple bashers in this thread than there are Apple fanboys, right? I'm not saying a PC is "broke", just like my Lincoln has no relationship with my Chevy, my PC has nothing to do with my Macs.

I've run more than a handful of linux boxes, I've been, and continue to use Windows on numerous PCs....but my Macs are anything but "weak sauce". :rolleyes:

10. And when I'll be an IT admin I'll buy a mac but for now it's PC for me :p

11. When i switched from PC to mac , i started paying 40$ less money for my electric bill monthly.

12. #52 PC Gamer, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011

Well if you went from a PC tower to a laptop then yeah that makes sense. But if you went from desktop to desktop -- do you just leave it running less often than your old pc? Because they use the same hardware a PC would use which means the power consumption should be roughly the same if you use them for the same amount of time. Also do you have your mac's power management better setup than your old pc? That's another huge contributor. I'm sure you know all this, but some people don't and I'm generally curious as to whether macs really do consume less power. I have very very little experience with macs (by choice, but that may change if they lower their prices or if the iPad 3 is the bomb diggity). I just know they are the same hardware with a different OS.

13. I used to have a desktop with 2 x 21" monitor. Right now i have macbook pro and my 27" Mac cinema display. The OS doesn't make the electric usage difference. It is the hardware that does it.

Yes Mac's can be considered expensive however even one simple thing shows that i am saving 640$ per year . On long term Mac's cost compared to PC's are way lower.

14. Bill Gates > Steve Jobs

Jobs is a better manipulator, I'll give him that.

15. I'm sorry. On a global level, pc totally wins over mac in every way. Don't get me wrong, macs are great.....for video/audio editing, photoshop, and web browsing. So unless you are a producer, a video arts student, or a GD artist, the price tag doesn't justify incompatibility. Buy one apple product, you must keep sucking on the tit.

PCs win with universal formats, interchangeable parts, and a vast array of third party software. PCs are also much cheaper and more flexible price wise. PCs are where all the top performance hardware and latest games are implemented first. All. Repeat all offices, specifically ones run in a workstation environment, run enterprise...need I go on? Lol.

16. And by Mac, you mean OSx. You are essentially paying $1000+ for an OS that provides good software. Even then PC's can do just as well if not better, yes I said it, better.

And for the Producer part, I think you should re-write that whole statement and just say: "So unless you are a hipster faggot, then get a Mac." lolz ;)

17. Wouldn't jump that far man. Theres real world application out there for macs, its just limited to such a narrow range of possible clients. PC will continue to prosper under its open platform. Id watch out for android too.

18. Woops dbl post lol.

19. Mac. No doubt.

20. if only we could name call :rolleyes: