pc vs. mac

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by dman4twenty, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I agree with that ^ but i think $1200 is a bit of an understatement. To match a $1000 PC laptop in specs, youll be spending at least $2500 on an MBP, if not $3000+

2. The thing is it is not fair to compare a Windows Pc with a mac at all.
    The last PC i had had following specs :
    Intel I5 750 processors
    8gb Ram
    10k rpm hdd's

My macbook pro has
    i7 920 processor
    8gb ram
    SSD

If you look at the specs , they are nearly identical. However if i can compare the performance difference , there are huge differences between them. I tested to make sure the same difference also occurs on Ubuntu , Cent Os , Win 7 , Vista. The difference is huge. In order to get a similar performance i have with my Mac , you will need way way more hardware , even then it will not be fair as the performance on Mac is crazy fast.

Keep in mind , i am not even starting to describe the UI differences and how much improvements Mac has compared to other OS's. For example if you check Os X Lion , it will open a completely new way of using a computer. In order to windows reach this level , they at least need another decade or so.

Sure you can still continue to use PC but you'll never be as productive as a Mac user.

3. Faster loading times =/= better performance. SSD's are exponentially faster than any platter hard drives.

Also, i7 is a fair bit faster than the i5.

And mac has a more improved UI than other OSs? Excess eye candy means nothing. The fact that mac OS STILL doesnt have taskbar functionality automatically puts it behind windows and linux. If you think that more eye candy = better OS, try Kubuntu. KDE 4.6 blows mac OS out of the water in terms of looks, and its more functional because of the K menu and taskbar.

Not having to minimize every window or use expose makes PC a more productive platform as well. Like i said, taskbar. Thumbnails of every open window, minimized or not, makes working with multiple files much quicker.

4. As you should know opinions may vary within each people. I am posting my opinions and honestly have no time to proove that to you. I am with computers maybe more then 25 years now. I believe i know what i am talking about. Have a good day.

5. Im not denying you your right to an opinion, but you cant assume that your opinion is fact, and that people cant be productive with other systems, because youve been using computers for 25 years.

6. You can share your own personal experience nobody is stopping from doing that. I use all possible OS's out there and i can share my exprience with that.

The difference between i5 750 and i7 920 are not that major. It is very minimal You can check benchmark tests within PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Surely SSD's are way faster compared to 10k rpm hdd's however again when i am judging my opinion between two systems , i am taking these into consideration.

7. #27 coloradomountainman, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

haha... for one, macs have the equivalent to the task bar. It is called the dock. When an application is open, it shows on the dock no matter what (even if it is not locked on the dock) and a white triangle appears below it to indicate that it is open. If you hold on the application icon, the open windows show up. yes, this is done without minimizing or using expose.

I prefer a PC for games, movies and what not because of expandable storage and better graphics card for cheaper. Although I do own a macbook pro for when I spin (DJ) or am at class. when it comes to spinning, mac blows other OS-i (plural like cacti :p) out of the water

8. I just received my new iMac, and I've had a MBP for a year or so.
    I also have numerous custom built PCs running different versions of Windows and/or Linux. They are all useful and they all have their purposes in my house and in my life. It's the people who think everyone should agree with their opinions, that annoy me.

If you only like Mac or only like Windows, who cares? Wonderful for you. But, as I said, they all serve a purpose and they all have their pros and cons.

9. 100% mac all over front offices, resistance is futile :D, all server stuff is HP and enterprise level.

It's a never ending discussion, which I have ended a long time ago, use what you like to use, I could not care less :smoke: , each his own, right?

SJ

10. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdbbzeLitk[/ame]

:D

11. @Broseph Radson go to 2:25 of that video and listen very very carefully :p

12. could you be any more stereotypical?

13. I don't think I can; I mean, what other reason do people buy macs for right:p

14. I have been doing web development on PC for years, still do. But I still find great benefit and enjoyment out of owning a Mac. I have been too busy to fully test the iMac, but so far it is excellent. Can't wait to get some editing done on her, it's already a big improvement over the MBP.

15. I used to be a PC fanboy, though after using iOS and OS X devices for awhile now I've come full circle. Apple's computing experience is more enjoyable, simple, and practical. Period. The fact that they make software for one class of hardware, their own, inherently allows them to control quality and end-user experience far better than their competitors.

16. So tell me what a Mac can do that a PC can't...

I'm not doing any web design nor spending much time on Photoshop.

Convince me to buy a Mac...

17. I've said it before and I'll say it again. PC, Mac, Linux....they all serve a purpose, if you don't need it for that purpose, don't buy it.

I've been a PC guy all my life. Grew up with DOS and Windows 3.1 shortly thereafter...then on to Windows 95, 98, ME (shudder), XP, Vista (not nearly as bad as people would try to say), 7 (which is a fantastic OS). I've been custom building my own computers for over 10 years, most of which either had Windows or differing flavors of Linux.

But I still love my Mac, if you need to be convinced to buy it, then obviously you don't need to buy it. Is it overpriced? You bet your ass. But, as the consumer, I get to choose whether or not that price is worth it to me. The same goes for you. The reason I just spent $2200 on an iMac is because I wanted the 27" screen and the powerful computer behind it for editing photos and video. That gives me a lot of processing power and a lot of screen real estate. I am very partial to Final Cut and Motion, something that is not available on PC...that program is enough to make it worth it, in my opinion.

The haters (and this goes either way in this scenario) are just as annoying as the fanboys. It's an inversed argument; fanboys tell you why you should like something just because they like it, haters tell you why you should dislike something just because they dislike it.

I have about 6 computers in this house running Windows and/or Linux, and I only have two Macs...even though I love Macs, I don't feel the need to be exclusive.

18. So to me it seems like a Mac user is more likely using it for graphic design/ photoshop type stuff.

Too me, Mac gets a bad rep from the "I'm writing my life story at Starbuck" type people.
    Mixed w/ a lil I have a Mac I'm better than you... lol

I just really wanted to see reasons to buy a Mac; besides the graphic design/ photoshop stuff

Bottom line is I really have no need to spend the extra money if I'm not using it to its full potential.
    I'll stick w/ PC for now