Pc Micro Box (1st grow)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Papyrus420, Mar 1, 2011.

1. #1 Papyrus420, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    Hi guys just wanted to show you my little PC case I transformed into a micro grow op !

Well I'm not growing anything yet and i don't know when I'll be able to start but at least the box is almost ready.

I tried to keep the PC look so there's a CD-ROM drive faceplate in the front and i used the back plate of a power supply for air exhaust and power in.

The fan is hooked up to a 12v wall power supply, but i find it very loud i might take a lower voltage adapter. Oh and the carbon filter isn't finished yet.

Light still leaks from some places trying to fix that.

If anyone see's a fire hazard or anything wrong please tell me.

I don't have a measuring tape but i found the dimension on the net:
    19 x 8.25 x 22 IN

I fear it might be a bit low but i don't know yet we'll see ! I can adjust the lights they are fixed with hard drive magnets.

Attached Files:

2. Looks good! Now just get you a seed or two and let er go! What strains do you plan on using.

3. I've got some bagseeds but i dont have proper soil mix, ph checker either and i'm probably missing some other stuff lol

4. Close to a hydroponics store? If not maybe order, but if you go soil, get some Fox Farm Ocean Forest. It's good shit.

5. Very nice usage of the power supply. Bravo!

6. hey how did you wire you power supply like that?

7. First I cut the wall side plug of one of my power strips and remove insulation on wires, Remove power supply's board and anything unwanted, cut the wires for everything you want to keep (cut them near the board so you have some wire to play with), i kept the fan, plug and switches (The voltage selection switch isn't used in my box yet.), the power switch is already wired to the plug so i kept it that way. The ground (green wire) is usually screwed to the power supply casing so i loosened it and screwed the power strip's green wire with it. Then connect one of the two remaining strip's wires to the wire from the supply's plug and the other one to the switch's wire, insulate everything and your're done ! for the fan you need an external 12v supply though if you don't keep the power supply's board.

Thanks for the comments !

8. #8 Papyrus420, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    So i decided i had to finally do this and i germinated 2 bag seeds, they are now in the dirt and I am patiently waiting! this is my first grow I'm not expecting anything I just wanna have fun and learn.

Considering the low space i have i will probably keep only one even if they turn out to be both females.

Since I don't want them to grow high should i go directly to flowering ? or still veg ? keep in mind i have no idea what strain this is... I will probably scrog or lst but I'm thinking more scrog right now.

Taking any advice for light schedules I really don't know what to choose...

Also should i turn on my other 2 light bulbs on already or is it useless until i see something?

Attached Files:

9. I changed my 12v adapter which was making my fan run way too loud to a 18,5 laptop adapter that i wired to 2 fans in series so they receive around 9v each, one is still exhausting air and the other one blows on the lights and will blow on the plant :) i think I'm starting to see the seed shell coming out of the soil in the big pot !

10. Whats that green stuff in your pot?? Looks real good otherwise

11. Lol...it's the pot itself. :rolleyes: :p

12. Yup the only green thing i can see is the pot. It's been a while since anything has changed... i might have killed it temp got very high one time and i've been closing the lights to make small changes to the box maybe too often... i have other bag seeds tho, i might be just too impatient ill wait a bit more...

13. Hell yes! Give her time! Germination can sometimes take ten days or more, depending on temps. As soon as she pokes through the surface take the plastic off. Next time you germinate you might want to start it in a damp paper towel in someplace dark and warm. Once the seed cracks and it's root pokes out you plant it shallow and she should pop up in 2-3 days.

Good Luck!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOUpYFuGak"]YouTube - Phish: Guelah Papyrus 2/16/97[/ame]

14. #14 Papyrus420, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    I did germinate in damp paper towels in a airtight Tupperware in a dark warm place for 24h, there was a little white tip coming out but maybe it wasn't long enough. Anyways I'm gonna let them take their time, thank you.

15. fail-proof germination:

place seed/s in pre-moistened coffee filter
    fold the filter a few times and place it in a ziploc bag with about half it's capacity full with fresh air.
    place your ziploc on something that constantly draws power and stays warm, like a cable box.
    check seeds daily, this not only prevents your taproot from getting too long, but also allows fresh air into your 'dome'.
    once taproot is anywhere over 1/4", poke a pencil-sized hole 1/2"-1" down in your pre-watered planting medium.
    place seed in hole with taproot down.
    cover lightly with soil.
    place some type of plastic directly over your planting location (bottom 1/3 of a 2 liter bottle works great)
    once your seedling has sprouted and has at least two sets of true leaves, remove your humidity dome.

the box looks really good. let's get this thing moving! :smoke:

16. #16 Papyrus420, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
    Update ! They sprouted off the ground :) I've been seeing them since yesterday but they didn't look like much lol. the one in the big pot looks weird i guess it's because the seed's shell was stuck to it but it fell off easily when i touched it carefully with a toothpick. Should i remove my humidity domes ?

Attached Files:

17. Another update with pics of what the setup looks like now and also what the plants look like !

The big pot one has something stuck to a leaf... must be from the seed that was stuck to it but it doesn't seem to want to come off easily and i don't want to hurt it so I'm waiting for advice ! It makes the leaf curl downwards :(

The one in the party cup looks great to me, it has some purpleish tint around the leaves don't know what that means... seems to be normal though.

Attached Files:

18. im assuming that the leaf in question doesnt really matter and this problem will take care of itself in due time...im no pro but im pretty sure youre good.

19. I'm no pro, but can it be mold already from too much humidity?

20. Dont worry about the piece stuck to the leaf, I messed with it alot on mine and got it off, didnt hurt the plant but its nothing to worry about either.