pc grow 51w d.i.y led

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by seedlingstarter, Jul 2, 2013.

1. #1 seedlingstarter, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
    Whats up Gc community, Starting my first grow log the last one i was going to start didn't happen due to some issues. Ok so this is going to be a led grow of a panel i made its 51watts. The panel is not yet finished just waiting for some leds that should be here sometime this week and the driver which should be here next week. Anyway the strain ill be growing will be sweet seeds black cream. I have cfl's from previous grows that ill be using to start the seedling until the rest of the part for the led panel arrive. The seed has been put to germ about 10 mins before i started this thread. I have one problem that i cant figure out. Any suggestions on how to hang the panel inside of the pc case? Unlike cfls which mount against the wall of the case i need to hang it from the top and theres nothing that i can tie strings or anything to. any suggestions would be appriciated im stomped as to what to do.

2. Right then i just have to attach to my heatsink but i don't see why it wouldn't work. Ill pick up some velcro after work tomorrow. Thanks for the idea

3. Zip ties too make a big one by connecting them together and tie your pcb or breadboard from the top if the velcro does not hold. Be careful also the glue from the velcro should not get heated if it is near the heatsink it might fall and ruin your whole light. Also may i ask what kind of leds you have used?

4.     yes I just tried using the velcro and the weight of the heatsink has it pulling down but hasn't drop. So i think i will shot for another idea i don't want the light to drop an harm my plant. Also that sounds good using zip ties its just that theres really nothing for the zip ties to tie to. The blue led's were given to me from a friend making an aqaurium light they are 445nm and i bought some red's off ebay i think 630nm not sure but both of the led's are rated 3w chips. although the blue only use about 2.45w and the reds use 1.8w. so my light will have 4blue and 14 red

Hmm well for a panel this is kind of difficult. Go and search for similar projects in the internet to get some ideas. What i would do is maybe drill 2 tiny holes and then tie the zip ties, since they are that small they will require tiny holes and wont be noticeable from a distance, also with some tape the light leakage will me eliminated. Alternatively you can use some pvc tubes or metal rods and put them horizontally on the case and mount the light on them, with some screws maybe or something. A photograph of the pc would be nice in order to better understand the what kind of case you have and what are the opportunities it has! :) Keep us updated 

6. ok so here are a few pics of the pc. the side door comes off from a latch you pull back on the top of the pc, which is now broke from yesterday when i was trying the velcro it would allow it to slide.. so i broke of the parts on the inside now the latch doesn't work and the door no longer shuts completely lol the things you do when stoned. Anyways also a picture of the heatsink and metal panel. Yesterday the seed actually cracked open and i could see a tap root today it looked exactly the same hope it didn't die so i went ahead and planted it to see if it pops in a day or so. If not i have one more black cream and 2 regular low ryder #2's a freebie fem sour diesel and a auto bluematic fem seed. still waiting on the rest of the red led's and drivers. Also still looking on how to mount this sucker lol going to drink a nice brew while i brainstorm. The 3rd pic is the top of the inside of the pc the black in the middle is the velcro which i yet to pull down. so any suggestion im all ears for

Attached Files:

7. Ok so the black cream seed popped up to see light sunday morning so today makes 2days above soil. I also finished the led panel just waiting for the driver to arrive then for this show to start moving ill probably post a pic of the plant in a few days nothing exciting yet.

8. Self tapping sheet metal screws.

9.  Thanks for dropping in Dtbrake i drilled holes in it an roped so its hanging. Now i just wait for my driver to arrive to fire this thing up. My seedling is vegging under a 23w cfl right now my 65w cfl wouldn't work in my dome fixture for some odd reason oh well seedling is looking good its on 24 hr veg until i get it into the pc then 18/6 until finish. Ill post pics once the first true leaves appear

10. Im unfamiliar with this strain i assume its auto flower since u say its 18/6 till finish which i agree is the way to go with an auto. I really wanna try some after my Omaha kush grow i just started the 4th. I just think they are cool, so no big hopes or dreams out of them.

11. yes this is a autoflowering strain it was just released a couple months back. It is a purple strain which is supposed to get purple up to 80% of the plants. i seen a grow log on them and the purple just got me hooked lol. hoping i get one of the purple phenos. I actually am looking to do another project in i will be making my own fem seeds from from 2 different autos looking for heavy producing autos tho. this way i can save money on seeds an more on growing equipment. if this run turns purple and the smoke is nice ill def add that to my breeding list as you cant go wrong pulling out some purp lol

12. Ok so I will be posting a pic tonight makes day 6 of vegging and its already on its 2nd set of leaves. On using a 23w cfl warm white. Led driver should be here Monday im hoping.

13. ok so here is my plant at 7 days its second leaves are already growing. Sorry about the pic quality it was taken on my cell let someone borrow my camera.

Attached Files:

14. so the led light is up and running testing it in the pc now seeing if i have to swap out fans or not. Today the plant is 9 days old and looking good. Ill have pics up shortly still using webcam so quality will suck tomorrow ill get up some decent ones with a camera

15. so heres the black cream at 9days and 2days under the led light. gonna start to lst in a few days. Im looking for something else to make a bigger box something like a night stand. Anyways you can see in the pic temp is 86 degrees stays pretty cool even with the fan being covered.

Attached Files:

16. Subbing... I am really interested in led!!

Sent from my friends car using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. heres my girl at day 13. no feedings yet think ill give her straight bloom ferts since she is an auto as soon as she shows her self. growth is looking real good so far seems to be growing faster than any other plants i've grown

Attached Files:

18. heres the plant at 15 days still growing fast. feeding regular spring water ever 4 days soon adding bloom ferts once sex has shown. at 15 days and no veg nutes she seems to be loving the led's at only about 33watt of leds. See i asked the company at how many watts i would be running but i found out im only pushin around 33watts of led. You multiply the forward current of the led to the driver current which is 700ma so the red currents of mine is 2.4 X 0.7= 1.68w the blues are 3.5 X0.7= 2.45w using 14reds and 4 blues.

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg