pc fan??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gonejuhsm0k3, Aug 10, 2008.

1. how would it get power. can you get pc fans that go into regular plugs or is there an extension or something??

2. think you need a 12v DC adaptor, then you just wire them up.

3. Or you could rig a computer power supply with a paper clip... This is only worth it if you have multiple computer fans.

4. matt i can rig upto 40 computer fans on my adaptor so you dont need a comp pow sup to rig multiple fans, if anything using a computer power supply would be more confusing.

5. I rigged power supplies when I was like 12.. it takes a paper clip..

And how difficult are your power supplies? It's quite simple to plug a fan in to a power supply... you look for the adapter that matches the one on the fan... You bad with matching rectangles?

Not saying adapters aren't easier.. but I'm all about growing with things you can find around the house...

6. can anyone give me a more detailed explanation of how this is done. preferably into a regular plug. im pretty bad at wiring and electrical stuff. thx in advance

7. cant be done with a regular plug, you need a 12v DC plug, strip the wire of the pc fans black n red wires, strip back the wire on the 12v dc plug, somtimes the dc adaptors dont show which wire is which, so you just gotta try on a 50/50

8. #8 Azureblue, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008

Here is what you do. Pick up a few ball-bearing computer fans. You can get great fans at a great price from tigerdirect.com. Fans like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3478786&CatId=494

[​IMG]

You need to find out how many amps they draw. If it doesn't say on any of the packaging, go down to Radioshack and find one of comparable size (120mm) and see what the amperage is. Then, go down to Radioshack and purchase an a/c to d/c power adapter. It just looks like a cell phone adapter. It's like $20:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2190632&cp=2032056.2818119.2818335&allCount=45&fbn=Type%2F12V+or+less&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2F12V+or+less&fbc=1&parentPage=family

[​IMG]

Make sure you get one that is big enough to support your fan(s). If each fan requires .5A (or 500mA) then get something that will handle it. For example, if two fans draw 1amp (or 1000mA) total then buy a power adapter that can handle 1.5A (or 1500mA) and you'll have more then enough.

Then, while you are there, purchase some "butt" connectors. You can ask them for help if needed. They look like this:

[​IMG]

Cut the end off the power adapter. On both the adapater and fan(s) strip the plastic off the last inch of all wires. If you don't have any tools you can do it with a knife if you are careful. They make a tool just for this, which helps a lot. Once you have about an inch of bare wire, slip the adapter end into one side of the connector pictured above and slip fan end into the other. Crimp (compress) the connector down with some needle nose plyers. If your fans have three wires, a yellow, red, and black, splice the yellow and red together. The yellow is a switch wire and can be used to turn your fan on and off, but that won't be an issue for you.

If you aren't sure which wire is positive on your adapter, touch the wires together while the adapter is plugged in (be careful). If the fans turn in the correct direction, you are good to go. If they turn in the opposite direction of what they are supposed to then you have it backwards.

Once everything is crimped you should be good to go :). It will look something like this. Notice the little connectors at the bottom of the picture and how the red and yellow are spliced together:

[​IMG]

Good luck! PM me if you have questions.

9. As long as you match up the specs on both the fan and the power supply, you can use one of those old cell phone rechargers from a phone you dont use anymore. Just be sure that the specs on the fan and the charger match up though. Most times, any rechargeable 12v power supplys will work. like from an old rechargeable screw driver etc.; Dont ever use if the specs dont match though. Good luck dude.,,

10. Well answered azureblue. That is the easiest safest method to do this... The guys at radioshack helped explained how to wire it and even assisted me the first time... Good luck with that though.. pretty obvious equipment.. ha ha

Go to a computer store and get them there for cheap... just get the best you can find.

Cut the cord on the plug.. strip the two wires on the fan... and put together.. wrap in electrical tape if need be....(keeps the water from gettin in the plastic tube holders..)

11. Will it work if I stack up the fans instead of putting them side by side. I guess it will add up to some level but does someone know if it will be as effective? Thx.

12. #12 Green Stem, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    I just want to add that you might be able to save yourself some cash buy using an old Cell phone charger, or any (almost) power adapter you have around the house that you no longer use.

As long as the power adapter is 12V (assuming that's what your fans take) and the amperage is sufficient then you should be able to use it.

Look at the power ratings on your fans. Then look at the power output on the power adapter. I must match the total power requirements of your fans. It should be ok if the amps are higher than the combined rating of your fans. The voltage however must be the same as the rating on the fans.

As far as wiring them up, well you'll have a plug at the end of your power adapter. If you look on the power adapter, more than likely there is a diagram showing the polarity. If you wire your fans backwards it won't do any harm. Just reverse the wires.

This used to be common in PC modding, I'm not sure if it still is today. I would stick with side by side because you could move more volume of air by doubling the space in which the air flows.

13. got a question
    i took apart one of my old PC's collecting dust in my closet and found a nice fan but it has 4 wires red, black,blue and yellow

i know to splice the red and yellow together but was unsure what to do with the blue, do i splice that in with the black one?

14. You should only ever need to use the black and red wires.

15. Quick question: You can(usually) wire two PC fans to a single 12v dc adaptor, right?

16. so just tape the other 2 ends ?

17. Nice tutorial.

Quick question though. If the axial PC fans are of high enough CFM will they be able to run a tubular carbon scrubber? My current crappy underpowered ones aren't up to it so getting a new fan but it must be able to run with a scrubber and I've heard axials are pretty poor when there is any back pressure hence an inline is necessary?