Paxil.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Nag Hamadi, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Well I just got back from my first appointment with my psychiatrist. My 'problem' is that I have anxiety, and I have trouble getting to sleep. Well he gave me a prescription for 100mg trazadone for the sleep and paxil (paroxetine), an antidepressant, for the anxiety. I looked this drug up right after I left the place, and I'm quite honestly not looking forward to it.

There's quite a bit about it on Wikipedia, and a lot of it is pretty controversial.

So I need some input from someone with experience with antidepressants. Do they work for anxiety? Depression isn't my problem, anxiety is. Has anyone tried Paxil? Your thoughts?

I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not I want to try this medication. The most common side effects sound less appealing than anxiety. Drowsiness... or insomnia? Constipation... or diarrhea? I'm definitely not down for erectile dysfunction. Help!

And another question, why wasn't xanax an option? He said my options were SSRI's, and my condition is 'generalized anxiety'.

2. yeaaaa hate to say it bro but my neighbor has been on and off of paxil. she turns into a psychopath when she goes on it so they always take her off ahaha

edit- upon just noticing the negative effects that shits going to have on your penarrr/sex life...i would not allow ONE of those god damn pills to pass my lips if i were you lol.

3. Yeah that's one of my biggest concerns. I just don't see why antidepressants are my only choice for treating my anxiety. I have a feeling that if I start taking this medication it won't end pretty. I already told him I don't want prozac or zoloft, so I don't have many more options. I wish he'd just give me some god damn benzos, at least I know they work.

And I just read that it makes ecstasy useless... I was looking forward to trying that.

4. yea bad idea takin that shit. if i were you i would either smoke more bud..or smoke less bud if it gives you anxiety and just deal with it. way too many down sides of the paxil.

5. I was prescribed something similar, fluoxetine (prozac), and I stopped taking it after a week. I was sure it was making me even more jittery and anxious than I was before. Did you give the office you were at a lookover for signs and such? At the psych I went to, there was a sign that clearly mentioned they don't prescribe sedatives including: klonopin, xanax, etc.. Good luck, I've been trying to get those prescribed forever. :rolleyes:

6. He said something along the lines of "if I had to get on a plane tomorrow I'd take a xanax or lorazepam." Is this whole thing helpless? I'd rather be anxious than have to deal with all the side effects and bad shit that I'm hearing about all these SSRI's. I have a gut feeling that it will do more harm than good. He also told me that the medications have sedating effects, so I doubt they have a rule against benzos. It seems to me that I need to know why I'm anxious to get those.

I'd love to, but the reason I'm seeking real medical help is I'm on probation and I have to give piss tests so weed's out of the question for a while.

7. make something up like your father has been diagnosed with cancer and hes not doing well blahblahblahhh

8. I've made the decision that I'm definitely not trying these. From what I've learned so far, quitting this medication requires going through about a month of extreme depression. I'm not willing to multiply my problems in order to temporarily cure one. It does its job for a while for some people, but after a while everything changes. I don't think it's possible to have a happy ending with this drug, or it's at least not very common. It numbs your emotions, and from the looks of it I'd end up with more problems than I began with. I'll look into other medications, but this one's a no fo sho.

9. Dude do not take paxil. That shit fucking made me go insane and shit. I got made emotional and a bunch of shit. I seriously slept for 26 hours strait on that shit. That drug made me like a zombie and made me rob a store because i couldnt even think clearly thats how bad it fucked me up. Same exact thing happened with my friend when he was on it. Seriously DO NOT DO Paxil.

10. yeah dude, i take paxil and honestly i don't like it at all. it is incredibly nasty trying to stop taking it, if you even miss one dose it starts to make you feel really sick. it makes me really tired, and the 'partial or complete loss of libido' sucks. i don't really know how much it helps anxiety, i think it does a bit but not enough to make it worth it. i take it to help with the depression part of bipolar though, along with 2 other meds for the mania etc, just fyi.

11. and yeah, i guess how it would help anxiety is that it just makes you a total zombie. so i would say don't take it.

12. Yea seriously. Like paxel should not be fucked with they need to really take it off the market. Its really going to make you a totally different zombiefied psycho person .

13. What are the chances of getting Klonopin for anxiety? I used to have/still a pretty serious anxiety disorder.

14. thought i should share my extremely shitty experience with anti depressants.

So i started taking them probably a year ago. Started with Paxil, then got switched to Effexor, then to Lexapro, then to Cymbalta, and finally to Zoloft.

The thing is, I just suffer from anxiety. Smoking blunts gets rid of it right away. They also give me xanax. Why am i taking anti depressants? Good question.

Anyways on the with story. So 3 days ago, i was switched from lexapro to cymbalta. Took one cymbalta that night, was totally cool the next day, took another cymbalta that night. I woke up the next morning feeling a little sick to my stomach. Nothing too bad though. By 1 oclock I was throwing up like there is no tomorrow. Couldn't even hold water down. Intense stomach and back pain, as well as diahrea. So at around 9 oclock i say fuck this and go into the ER. They drug me up with a buncha wack shit then send me home. Get home, throw up more, finally pass out (worst night sleep of my life). Wake up this morning, still sick. Sick all day. Throwing up, diarhea, stomach pain, etc. I go into my doc, and she tells me I have seratonin syndrome (an antidepressant users worst nightmare). So basically I should be feeling like this for a couple more days, all because of these FUCKING MEDS.

Fuck you antidepressants, fuck you.

15. Paxil fucks up more than it helps, why bother? Just smoke mj.:D

16. I've been taking paxil for about 6 months now for social anxiety. I've had a pretty good experience with it. I can definitely say that it has helped (not cured) my anxiety with fairly minimal side effects. The side effects I had were/are:

- Lightheadedness (for the first week then it went away)
    - dry mouth (not very severe, but I do find myself drinking more water)
    - for the first week when I closed my eyes I saw some faint geometric patterns
    - now when I have sex I last forever...sex usually now ends when my girlfriend is sore from too much fucking (my favorite side effect)

I think it would be in your best interest to at least try it. The guy is a trained professional and knows all of the risks and rewards that go along with it, and by his judgement it was worth it, so I think you should trust him. At the very worst, you decide you hate it and you stop taking it after a couple weeks. At the very best you may be cured with little or no side effects.

Good luck to you.

17. so many bad experiences, wow, when I first got on ADs I got on zoloft, then ontop of that effexor, it worked, no depression :D and with no side effects..later on after I came off it, I got a horrible 'brain zaps' that was it tho

I tried wellbutrin, crap, right now i'm 300mg effexor, (mad expensive)and 10mg ritalin (the wonder drug, wears off quickly tho, and cheap as hell too:hello:)

I'm thinking of getting off ads bc of the price/effeciency(260 a month), ritalin is far more effective only at 4 bucks at walmart (20 bucks for the whole script)

18. seriously, paxil is more addictive then mj! i took if for several years for post-partum depression and an underlying anxiety disorder. it took serval months to get off of it. google paxil withdrawl and you can get the idea. the drug makers even admit that there are withdrawal symptoms but they don't caution (or teach the md's to warn about it either). i would have zaps in my head (i thought i was going crazy) and the anxiety was just awful (which i just fueled when i thought i was going crazy). you have to wean super slow-i mean shaving the paxil w/ a nail file because you can cut it into small enough pieces. anyways, finally i've been off for a year and a 1/2 thanks to behavior modification (lucinda basset is great, just really expensive). i still have that general anxious feeling during times of stress, but i do some hypnosis and relisten to lucinda tapes. and of course smoke some too. but be careful, some strains can make you feel like a full blown panic attack and leave you feeling anxious the next day too. i'm still trying to find the best one, but i try to stick w/ the indicas. hope this helps and good luck!

19. when I abruptly came off effexor, I got those horrid zaps too, i got the lucinda basset too..

I simply cannot smoke anymore, I get nothing but paranoia/psychotic high:(

20. I think some people use it as a rec drug... try selling it what you get, and asking for a diffrent script, if you don't like it.