Past lives

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by sirsmokeal0t, Aug 1, 2012.

1. What are you guys's thoughts on having a past life? For those of you that don't know what i mean, it is when you have lived a life before the one you are living now, you just don't remember it.

2. if reincarnation was the definite answer then there shouldn't be more than 2 souls alive right?

3. We all live many lives - it isn't necessary to see them so esoterically.

The more conscious you become, the more changes you make. The more changes you make, the more lives you live.

There is only consciousness, and when you reach a state where you know this, there is only one.

4. What do you mean by this? Just curious..

5. #5 esseff, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    As you move through life in an ever opening way, at some point you might look back and see that you are not the person you once were. You might be living a very different life to what you once did, and you realise that the idea of living many lives is not so far fetched. Your body also changes and replaces itself every so often too.

So, the more you evolve, the more you change yourself and how you see things, and the more you literally move yourself into a different reality.

6. That is a better way to look at it...you seem to be implying that they all exist in one space? Kind of like the notion that the now is all there is.

7. The 'now' is all there is.

8. Logic ... so ... convoluted! ... Don't understand ... what ... the hell ... this ... means. Please explain.

9. When you think about it that's true. The only reason we are bound by time is because we know we have x ammount of "years" until we die.

If we were eternal we would see how "now" is all that exists.

I believe one day humankind may reach that kind of enlightenment, if we don't blow ourselves in the process, or our sun dosent eventually supernova and wipe our little blip we call earth from existance.

Locically we will follow one of those paths.

About past lives. I do believe in them. Often times I have recurring memories or feeliengs that feel foriegn, not my own. I don't know if in remember past lives from ancestors, or my personal past lives.

I remember the feeling of dying. Its not as horrific as it sounds. It was peaceful. It feels like letting go, only to realize it was not the end.

10. I have been right at deaths door...almost drowned in a terrible riptide...

The water was so rough, and I lost a lot of breath. It sure didn't look like I was going to make it. Once I started to accept it in my mind, the feeling of serenity was very peaceful. That was, until the lifeguard made it out and threw us a floatie.

NEVER swim in the ocean during February.

11. We don't need to feel eternal to experience this moment as all there is. It's all there ever can be. Bringing yourself into the present consciously is done through intention and meditation. It can happen at other times as well, but these are usually spontaneous.

12. I'm definitely a sceptic on the subject. I do not think we are higher beings that travel on some spiritual plane. I truly believe we are just flesh, blood and bones, like animals, since we are animals with higher cognitive skills but nothing on the scale of transcending from one being to another, across time no less. you die, you dead

13. I think the only problem with past lives, as Officer Burnout said, if everyone lived a life before, how do you explain the fact that there is more people now on earth than there was 500, or even 50 years ago? Where are all these extra souls coming from, huh?

14. What if 'souls' or what you consciously consider to be you is an abstract 'up in the air idea', that could be shared between people throughout existence. Your exact consciousness and thoughts could have been in others like Hitler, or George Carlin or both.

15. I without a doubt have lived many, many lives...the proof of this, the residual information, lives in my DNA...billions of years worth of life has contributed to who I am today, and they all left their signature in my DNA...

That is, of course, a purely physical approach, but it does give an interesting insight into reincarnation...I think there is also a more 'esoteric' reincarnation, although my general viewpoint deems the question to be based on certai philosophic assumptions I don't exactly share.

16. If time goes side to side, each death could just be another version of the same, just reincarnating into the next verse of the multiverse

17. [quote name='"Psychedelic Goo"']I'm definitely a sceptic on the subject. I do not think we are higher beings that travel on some spiritual plane. I truly believe we are just flesh, blood and bones, like animals, since we are animals with higher cognitive skills but nothing on the scale of transcending from one being to another, across time no less. you die, you dead[/quote]

I sure hope not .... I can't bare the fact that once my family is dead ..... Theyre gone forever

18. [quote name='"esseff"']We all live many lives - it isn't necessary to see them so esoterically.

The more conscious you become, the more changes you make. The more changes you make, the more lives you live.

There is only consciousness, and when you reach a state where you know this, there is only one.[/quote]

[quote name='"esseff"']As you move through life in an ever opening way, at some point you might look back and see that you are not the person you once were. You might be living a very different life to what you once did, and you realise that the idea of living many lives is not so far fetched. Your body also changes and replaces itself every so often too.

So, the more you evolve, the more you change yourself and how you see things, and the more you literally move yourself into a different reality.[/quote]

[quote name='"esseff"']The 'now' is all there is.[/quote]

This guy knows whatsup.

19. you guys ever read the egg theory by andy weir? the egg theory sort of ties itself with this reincarnation stuff. read it if you haven't done so. read it while high. there is more meaning behind it when you're high.