password protection

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by The Audion, Feb 2, 2011.

1. So I've been trying to password protect my wireless network, but it wont work. I've tried WEP, WPA, etc, but each time I get the message: "The settings saved on this computer do not meet the requirements of the network" or something like that. I just want some peace of mind in case theres anyone around me deciding to grab some free internet.

2. My neighbors are stealing my internet and I am to stupid/lazy to figure out how to set that up on all my shit I have connected to my router. I know this doesn't help you but I just wanted you to know that I share your pain.

3. #3 Zylark, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    It should be pretty painless on most routers, as they got a nice little web-interface where you can configure all aspects of your routers configuration.

[edit: To get to the webinterface, press start, type "cmd" in the search bar. This opens the old-style command line interface. In this, type "ipconfig". This lists your current connection settings. What you need is the adress for the default gateway. Usually it is 10.0.0.xxx, or 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is a number between 0 and 255). Next open a web-browser, and enter this IP adress into the adress-bar on the top like any other webpage. This should bring you to your routers' web-interface.]

Though when making the changes, especially to the WiFi settings, I'd suggest hooking up to it with a cable.

First thing first, give the WiFi network a different name (you don't strictly speaking have to, but since you're introducing password protection to the WiFi, you won't have the hassle of reconfiguring the current stored connection settings on the computers that access your WiFi). Any name will do, but if you suspect some neighbour is freeloading, you could name it something like "Pay4UrOwnNet". Just use your imagination, I am certain something appropriate will crop up :)

Next is selecting encryption method. I'd advice using WAP2 (also known as WPA2) or WAP-PSK (aka WPA-PSK). Do not use WEP, it easily hacked.

Then comes the password. Longer is better, and mixing letters, caps as uncaps, and numbers is best. Don't use proper words and spelling in the password, as that leaves your network open to hacking by the dictionary method. An example of a good password is "h4Ck7h15M0r0N"

Save settings, go to a computer that is not cabled to the router, discover your new WiFi net, connect, enter password, and you're golden.

[edit2: Assuming you use Vista, Win7 or an updated OS:X. XP may need a patch to discover WPA2 networks. You can get it here.]

Easy peasy :)